• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding Recco For Youth Black Crows Magnis

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Just found a pair of Black Crows, Magnis for my 12 year old and am looking for a binding recommendation. Daughter is 12 about 105# and races here in Minneapolis skiing 30 days..adding more days next year figure 40-50. Not that the racing really matters but it articles the approach and mentality to skiing. The Magnis purchase is designed for fun and skiing with her friends who are at a different level. Ski is designed for our "western" trips where she skis the trees, bumps and just likes to goof around......This is the first ski I'm looking at that doesn't require a plate or come with a system binding. Do I want an adjustable/demo binding or a standard binding? Candidly I haven't the foggiest notion what to put on this.......she has a DIN sole in a adult boot...Fischer RC4 70 flex, has A not Z on the sole.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At 12, her feet are probably close to her adult size unless she's a late bloomer. If her feet are close to the other women in her family, a standard binding with a decent adjustment range should work. Most of the major shops list the stat on the item pages. Mount them with a little room to move forward/plenty to move back. If she's due for a stiffer boot and a small size adjustment, it should work fine.

If her feet still have a lot of growing left to do, the Schizo bindings from Marker could work, depending on her DIN setting (the toe piece and heel piece both have 3cm of movement). Otherwise, while demos are heavy, they'd be the best option if you're trying to avoid a remount.

TS
wallyk

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
At 12, her feet are probably close to her adult size unless she's a late bloomer. If her feet are close to the other women in her family, a standard binding with a decent adjustment range should work. Most of the major shops list the stat on the item pages. Mount them with a little room to move forward/plenty to move back. If she's due for a stiffer boot and a small size adjustment, it should work fine.

If her feet still have a lot of growing left to do, the Schizo bindings from Marker could work, depending on her DIN setting (the toe piece and heel piece both have 3cm of movement). Otherwise, while demos are heavy, they'd be the best option if you're trying to avoid a remount.

You're correct......my wife thinks that she's close to being done. Her boot was fit for the "next shell" size after being too compact in the front in late November....spend a lot of time at a reputable shop and stuck my nose in the process a few times.

Good call with the demos, but I also have a younger one down the line who could use the ski so perhaps a demo wouldn't hurt........removing the demo or Schizo, any other thoughts?

James

Out There
Instructor
In terms of the Aatack bindings, the shop guy I talked to recommended the 11 for a junior. The heel is designed to release better for a junior. What exactly, can't remember. Use them say 3 seasons and move on
If she was real aggressive with the skis, maybe not. @Philpug would lnow.

I'd avoid demos unless there's a good reason. It just introduces a chance for them to go out of adjustment unintentionally. Usually it's obvious and you make a quick change, but not always.

TS
wallyk

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
thanks for the thoughts and for asking your shop guy about my scenario. I'm a realist when it comes to my kids.......she's aggressive but still refining her form. The Aatack 11 is with no question an appropriate choice. I have one on my SRs and no problems or complains.

James

Out There
Instructor
I would think you should give her your 11 and get a 13 for yourself if your 150lbs+ or ski aggressively. But the binding people would have to comment.

Sponsor

Staff online