• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding plates?

Mike C

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Are racers still using binding lifter plates? I purchased a pair of Stockli FIS Slaloms with XCell bindings and the guy at the shop asked me if i wanted a plate with them. All the race skis I’ve purchased in the recent past have come with an integrated plate.
I’ve been racing a little Masters GS as my kids race schedule permits. This year I want to do a couple of slalom races.

The marker binding interface seems a little rare to find.

How much of a difference will I notice with/without a plate?
Thx

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure what you’re talking about — piston plates or the little shims to adjust ramp angle? Or the +5 and +10 plastic lift plates to lift a binding without the stiffening effect of a full plate?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
You want a plate on a FIS slalom ski, or you bought the wrong ski.

Stockli isn't directly associated with a binding brand, so they leave sourcing a plate up to you, so you can run whatever binding you choose. Freedom of choice is nice. Finding race plates can be a pain. It is what it is.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are still plates on race skis, and I sure can be wrong, but honestly I don't remember any race ski, that would come with integrated plate. All races skis that come to my mind have plates mounted on top of them, and pretty much all can be exchanged between different marks if someone would really want that. Not that many do that, as for some it's actually forbidden by company they have contract, and for other's who would be allowed to experiment, it's pretty much impossible to get latest material from competing company ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Def want a plate on an fis slalom. For one thing, you could easily boot out in snow that the edge sinks in a bit. Boot out can be dangerous.
Life is better on skis like that with plates anyway. Volkl proved that in the early 2000's.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, now I understand. Yes, you want a plate. If you are getting Markers, go with a Piston plate. Stockli used to have a relationship with VIST, but I don’t think they still do.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I believe that by "integrated plate", the OP means a pre-mounted plate, which is the norm on pretty much every "real" race ski. Stockli sells their "flat", as that VIST relationship is no longer.

Agree 100% with @BGreen. You want what has always been referred to a the Marker Piston Plate; these days Marker has some other name for it, but anybody will know it as a "Piston Plate." Have those mounted. Should you choose to then alter the stand height of the toes or heels, shims are available to make changes. 2mm, which can be stacked on top of each other. On top of the plate, under the binding.

For the money you'll be paying for this set up, ask the shop for a kit of shims and longer screws.

Enjoy them!

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I believe that by "integrated plate", the OP means a pre-mounted plate, which is the norm on pretty much every "real" race ski. Stockli sells their "flat", as that VIST relationship is no longer.

Agree 100% with @BGreen. You want what has always been referred to a the Marker Piston Plate; these days Marker has some other name for it, but anybody will know it as a "Piston Plate." Have those mounted. Should you choose to then alter the stand height of the toes or heels, shims are available to make changes. 2mm, which can be stacked on top of each other. On top of the plate, under the binding.

For the money you'll be paying for this set up, ask the shop for a kit of shims and longer screws.

Enjoy them!
for the record, it is now the "WC PC interface" ... but yeah, it's a piston plate.

https://www.marker.net/en-us/products/bindings/race/wc-pc-interface-4067/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe Stöckli is using Salomon bindings and their skis are available with Salomon/Atomic bindings including their race options, similar to what Atomic/Salomon used on their race skis. But, their skis are also available flat and like in your situation, you can put on your plate of choice.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes Stöckli uses Atomic/Solly now. But easy to get flat and put whatever you want on them as well.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I mounted my Blossoms with the Marker World Cup plate set in the soft slalom position..
It can be mounted six ways for things from SL to DH.
Used Xcel 16 clamps which are much better constructed than the Excel 12's.
Love the setup, silky smooth.

If you are the same Mike C as the one that sold me the Kastle RX's a few years ago, HI.
I learned the plate on those is an exotic German plate that is hard to obtain.
They still ski great!
After skiing those I could never get excited about the MX series that so many folks love.

IMG_0414.JPG

TS
M

Mike C

Skier
Thanks everyone. Yes its the piston plates that are now called WC PC Interface as S.H. Mentioned. They seem to be hard to find so that made me wonder.

I “stretched” my budget in the first place to go for the Stockli’s. The salesman was good! Lol. Now staring down another chunk of change for the plates.

I’m sure they will be fun!
Thanks again. Mike.

Ps. Dakine - I’m not the same MikeC Funny because I have a pair of Kastle FX’s i was thinking of parting with.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Full bill for the plates and the bindings was near $500.
As they say in car racing..."How fast can you afford to go?"
I made my decision to try a real deal setup after always using pre mounted plate setups.
There is a difference!

Mounting the WC plates for slalom is usually done including the shims in the binding kit that gets you to full FIS stand height.
I kept my plates at the unshimmed 10mm thickness for fun skiing.

RaceFan

Skier
@Mike C I've definitely got plates (on 195/35s which would work for a masters sg). the price will be right. May have some 18s as well. Let me know if you need some.
John
PS - I've got a bunch of other FIS skis and boots as well

Iceski01

Skier
Suggestions appreciated. Binding ramp angle is affecting my stance My current ski is a Rossi Hero Short Turn Hero
with a R-22 plate that was shimmed.It helped a lot.Does the plate alter the flex much or stiffen it?I had the short turn Hero with the system binding before and liked how it turned but it burnt my legs out.Any thoughts on a 5mm toe lift on that ski.I thought it bent easier.My other ski is a Head e-titan 84 with a Prd binding that I have no issues with.It must be closer to flat. If anyone knows what bindings are closer to flat now?It seems most system bindings have to much ramp for me.
My boot is size 24 and I have a size 28 inseam,

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Suggestions appreciated. Binding ramp angle is affecting my stance My current ski is a Rossi Hero Short Turn Hero
with a R-22 plate that was shimmed.It helped a lot.Does the plate alter the flex much or stiffen it?I had the short turn Hero with the system binding before and liked how it turned but it burnt my legs out.Any thoughts on a 5mm toe lift on that ski.I thought it bent easier.My other ski is a Head e-titan 84 with a Prd binding that I have no issues with.It must be closer to flat. If anyone knows what bindings are closer to flat now?It seems most system bindings have to much ramp for me.
My boot is size 24 and I have a size 28 inseam,
What boot?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
First, where had it been shimmed at the moment.?. Typically with the rockerflex binding on the R 22, the heel sits a bit high

Iceski01

Skier
Maybe I should have given more information .The Short turn hero with the R22 and plate skis really well for me on blue terrain. I feel my issue at this time is as I get to steep with very firm conditions I have to keep moving in front of it which has become more difficult due to age.(66)My question would be by going back to the short turn hero with the system binding and having 5(mm)toe lift in your opinion would the ski be easier to ski than the hero with the R22 or am I thinking wrong.I am also not quite sure about the ramp angle on the Hero Short Turn with the system binding but I feel confident that I need to get to 0 or 1 MM high in the toe.I envy the people who do not have these issues.Ignorance is bliss.