• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding/plate for Stockli SX

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Laser SX (non-FIS) but deciding on what to mount. What say the experts on viable options? I can buy them flat and mount anything or just go with pre-mounted SP12 Ti bindings. I'm not a fan of adjustable "demo" bindings as they tend to loosen on the tracks but maybe I've had experience with the wrong ones. Finally, plate or no plate?

I'm a strong skier, 190#, 6'. Demoed various lengths and liked the 177cm.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious, were there plates on the your demo skis?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Laser SX (non-FIS) but deciding on what to mount. What say the experts on viable options? I can buy them flat and mount anything or just go with pre-mounted SP12 Ti bindings. I'm not a fan of adjustable "demo" bindings as they tend to loosen on the tracks but maybe I've had experience with the wrong ones. Finally, plate or no plate?

I'm a strong skier, 190#, 6'. Demoed various lengths and liked the 177cm.

Head race plate with a Tyrolia free flex binding.... or a marker plate with a marker race binding.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Demo bindings on the demo. So just the rail system.

Reason I asked is the SX is a pretty burly ski. A plate will usually stiffen up the ski. Changing the feel of the ski from those you demo.
If you decide to plate, make sure it doesn't affect the original flex of the ski much. That's what you are buying.

TS
QueueCT

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's an interesting question on the feel of the demo skis. I tried both the FIS and non-FIS versions. Two very different skis ... unsurprisingly, I suppose. The FIS version (185cm) was a bit too stiff for me and, on somewhat crowded slopes, I found myself wanting a tighter turn. The non-FIS was highly responsive and, for me, playful in how it engaged and released. Maybe it was just the big smile that made them feel that way. A bit more stiffness would be welcome provided it doesn't create a strange flex progression from tip to center.

John Baumer

Booting up
Skier
PLATE!!!....Last season I picked up a pair of SXs in 177. Technically, at my size I should be on the 184. I went with the 177 for the shorter turn radius. I have had a ski buying problem for some time and have either owned or demoed a good share of the high end skis available. The Laser SX has been the most outrageously fun ski yet. I had them set up with Marker Piston Plates and Marker Excel Bindings and couldn't be more pleased. I believe that a ski of this magnitude deserves the best, no compromise set up possible. IMO, the plate makes the ski flex pattern better and the additional stand height is important to maximize what this special ski has to offer.

TS
QueueCT

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stocklis got their first workout at Copper today. Thanks, @ScotsSkier for hooking me up with the plates and bindings. They store an enormous amount of energy and you need to be balanced when it releases. Makes for a fun ride and more focused skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online