• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mpalm18

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If going with the flat ski version of the Spitfire 80, what binding would you guys put on there? I know the SkiEssentials guys mentioned a Pivot 18, but what would be some other options that might work well?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I happen to have just posted two pivot 18s for sale yesterday (a "black&white" version and a Forza version ("Forza" is just the optional flashy color, apparently). Dirt cheap, $175 and $160 each plus c. $15 to $30 shipping (See details in "Marketplace" listing - but pretty simple.) There has been some interest in both, but nothing settled quite yet.

These 18s are tops at what they do. Bump teamers and Freestyle/freeriders love em.

As I quoted on the "For sale" thread,
from a typical review of this binding (in this case, from the EVO website):

"In the freeride skiing world, the Look Pivot 18 Ski Bindings set the gold standard and have for many years. No other binding shares their reputation, elasticity and power transfer. Pivoting heel, ultra short mounting footprint, and bomber impact resistance when riding rails are just some of the things that no one has yet managed to duplicate. 'Nuff said."

I'm very much a directional skier, former average racer. I have a pair of Blossom Whiteouts with Pivot 14s(?) or 18s(?) that are just fine with that binding, so it is not really a problem, and the above price is good. The Whiteouts are 76 underfoot, and are specifically designed with a wide tip for being good in some crud, bumps and quick turning, things the Pivots excel at - in addition to being very good carvers and groomer skis at speed.

But.... you have to decide what your intended use and skills are, and what the ski is for. Isn't your ski almost a forgiving cheater charger on groomers with some race feel but also some versatility off piste and in mild crud and bumps? In other words, a ski with a strong frontside bias, not so great in bumps, jumps, park, lotsa powder/crud? If so, and if that former stuff is closer to your intended use, maybe a more directional binding would work better? (Not sure, so you tell me.) (More directional examples: Head/Tyrolia PRD, or a cheater version of the Marker Xcell that's less for just racing? Or even a more all mountain, playful setup, with Marker Griffons?) Best, ski otter

You have already decided to go without a plate, which makes sense if you want it more relaxed and playful but still strong at carving. But, to me, usually, isn't the Pivot 18 for a different type of use, a more freeriding ski?

TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
I happen to have just posted two pivot 18s for sale yesterday (a "black&white" version and a Forza version ("Forza" is just the optional flashy color, apparently). Dirt cheap, $175 and $160 each plus c. $15 to $30 shipping (See details in "Marketplace" listing - but pretty simple.) There has been some interest in both, but nothing settled quite yet.

These 18s are tops at what they do. Bump teamers and Freestyle/freeriders love em.

As I quoted on the "For sale" thread,
from a typical review of this binding (in this case, from the EVO website):

"In the freeride skiing world, the Look Pivot 18 Ski Bindings set the gold standard and have for many years. No other binding shares their reputation, elasticity and power transfer. Pivoting heel, ultra short mounting footprint, and bomber impact resistance when riding rails are just some of the things that no one has yet managed to duplicate. 'Nuff said."

I'm very much a directional skier, former average racer. I have a pair of Blossom Whiteouts with Pivot 14s(?) or 18s(?) that are just fine with that binding, so it is not really a problem, and the above price is good. The Whiteouts are 76 underfoot, and are specifically designed with a wide tip for being good in some crud, bumps and quick turning, things the Pivots excel at - in addition to being very good carvers and groomer skis at speed.

But.... you have to decide what your intended use and skills are, and what the ski is for. Isn't your ski almost a forgiving cheater charger on groomers with some race feel but also some versatility off piste and in mild crud and bumps? In other words, a ski with a strong frontside bias, not so great in bumps, jumps, park, lotsa powder/crud? If so, and if that former stuff is closer to your intended use, maybe a more directional binding would work better? (Not sure, so you tell me.) (More directional examples: Head/Tyrolia PRD, or a cheater version of the Marker Xcell that's less for just racing? Or even a more all mountain, playful setup, with Marker Griffons?) Best, ski otter

You have already decided to go without a plate, which makes sense if you want it more relaxed and playful but still strong at carving. But, to me, usually, isn't the Pivot 18 for a different type of use, a more freeriding ski?
Thanks for the thorough response. I guess I should have put more context in my question. I haven’t really decided either way on going with the flat or with the system. I’ve just been looking around getting a feel for the availability/price of each option and if there are some good/inexpensive binding options that could allow me to come in cheaper than the system setup. I also am considering that the system binding might be pretty hefty in weight and that a flat-mounted binding should be a lighter, more maneuverable setup.

I, like you, am a former average racer who still likes to carve up the frontside groomers quite a bit, but am not as hard charging as I used to be on my old SL setup. You hit it on the head with my aim for a “forgiving cheater charger on groomers with some race feel but also some versatility off piste and in mild crud”. I’m looking for the ski that occupies the space between a FIS SL ski and my all-mountain Rossignol Experience 88s. On the 88’s, I’ve got Tyrolia Attack 13’s that I like and was honestly wondering if those wouldn’t work well for the Spitfire 80s too.

All of that said, I’m gonna be using them 90% of the time as groomer carvers so the system setup will honestly do just fine overall. I’m just exploring other setup options.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If going with the flat ski version of the Spitfire 80, what binding would you guys put on there? I know the SkiEssentials guys mentioned a Pivot 18, but what would be some other options that might work well?
You struck oil, stop drilling ;) Unless you want to wait for the Pivot 15. :drool:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went with Rotfella Freerides, but I've gotta hunch that that's not going to float your boat.

TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
Found a good price on some tyrolia attack 13’s with an 85mm brake width. Thoughts on pairing them with these skis vs the fdt plate system option?

Would they fit ok on the 80 mm waist? Thinking particularly about the afd plate width (77 mm), read somewhere they should be on skis over 80 mm waist, so just wanting to confirm if they’d be ok on exactly 80mm.

Last edited:
TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
Or would something like this work better?

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
If I got the Spitfires flat, I would mount a Pivot as well. I am in Europe though, and alas, that ski is only sold in system here, and the costs of importing quickly add up. The SPX is a good binding, that is what Augment mounts on their All Mountain 88 skis. Not a big fan of the Attack (which I have on my Kore 93) and while I have several skis with the Griffons, I don't know that they would be best for this ski either. So it really comes down to the system Xcell or the Pivot for me. Ultimately depending on how and where you want to use the Spitfires. (From your aspirational description, more or less the same as me).

TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
If I got the Spitfires flat, I would mount a Pivot as well. I am in Europe though, and alas, that ski is only sold in system here, and the costs of importing quickly add up. The SPX is a good binding, that is what Augment mounts on their All Mountain 88 skis. Not a big fan of the Attack (which I have on my Kore 93) and while I have several skis with the Griffons, I don't know that they would be best for this ski either. So it really comes down to the system Xcell or the Pivot for me. Ultimately depending on how and where you want to use the Spitfires. (From your aspirational description, more or less the same as me).
Thanks for the reply, I'm really just entertaining some cost options. Because I can get the ski flat and add a binding for less than the cost of the system, I'm tossing around options. I'll really just be using it as a frontside carver, and maybe some beer league racing now that i've gotten rid of my racing skis. I know the system will be more than fine for those functions, but I'm just evaluating what characteristics I can gain or what could be lost from the possibility of a different binding

TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
What brake width of the Look Pivot 12 would you use for the 80mm waist? Would 75mm work or would you go 95mm?

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
What brake width of the Look Pivot 12 would you use for the 80mm waist? Would 75mm work or would you go 95mm?
That's a question for @Philpug. I don't know myself. I love the Forzas, so it would be a Pivot 14 B95 for me.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
TS
M

Mpalm18

Skier
75mm brake.
Should they fit without bending? I've read that some will fit up to 7mm over the listed size without bending. Or will they need to be bent a bit? Don't want to have my ski shop turn away my binding mount job if they won't bend the brakes at all

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Should they fit without bending? I've read that some will fit up to 7mm over the listed size without bending. Or will they need to be bent a bit? Don't want to have my ski shop turn away my binding mount job if they won't bend the brakes at all
They should work

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I would NOT put the 95 look pivot brake on an 80mm frontside carving ski.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm guessing there's something specific to the 95 look pivot brake, but I've had to use 95 brakes on all my frontside carvers, down to 68 mm due to binding choice. It's do-able but I strongly recommend adding extra height. I've never snagged brake on the opposite ski, which has alway amazed me.

Sponsor

Staff online