• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding choice on Navis freebird.

Alanton84

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just got the Navis freebird for 75/25 bc/resort ski. Going back in fourth between shifts and rotation 12. I’m in Colorado mountians. Also looking to use this as a one ski for travel.

Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I say the Shift for the reason the Shift was designed, downhill performance and safety. It might be a few more grams for the climb but not relying in the pins in the toe and having actual elasticity makes the Shift more conficence inspiring.

Reactions: BMC

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I say the Shift for the reason the Shift was designed, downhill performance and safety. It might be a few more grams for the climb but not relying in the pins in the toe and having actual elasticity makes the Shift more conficence inspiring.
I have a Shift on a Corvus Freebird and I would recommend it as well. (As I am in Europe it is in my Chamonix resort/backcountry quiver, along with the Atris).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just got the Navis freebird for 75/25 bc/resort ski. Going back in fourth between shifts and rotation 12. I’m in Colorado mountians. Also looking to use this as a one ski for travel.

Cheers

This is my setup, Love it!
IMG_5762.jpg

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
I think a lot depends on your skiing style and also the length of your tours. Shorter laps/more aggressive style = Shifts; longer tours/less aggressive style = Dynafits. I have two setups for this season built partly on that logic: CAST/Pivot for deeper days when it's more about the down and Dynafits (STs) for days that are more about touring and exercise but less new snow. A heavy kit and a light kit.

TS
A

Alanton84

Skier
Do you think the rotations can handle some days at the resort if needed? To bring one ski on a bc/resort trip?
I’m nervous of wasting the freebird ski with.putting a heavy binding on it.

TS
A

Alanton84

Skier
Since everyone is being awesome. If there any Colorado folks, I ski 80%+ on berthoud pass and butler gulch.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks, so your vote is rotations?

Yes, The rotation 12's, they tour better and are just more simple and easier to transition and pretty much trouble free. They will feel much harsher in the hardest of snow but I have used them on a ton of resort days here in Colorado with no issues and had tons of fun. For mostly backcountry use I would go with the Dynafits no question.

TS
A

Alanton84

Skier
One last question. Do you think the Navis freebird could still handle the resort decently with either binding?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Alanton84 Own the predecessor to the Rotations & have skied the shifts. I’d go with a Vipec, Tecton, or Kingpin. I think the alpine heel helps a ton with power transfer for resort skiing, and I’d appreciate the extra elastic travel. If you’re deciding between the Shift & Rotation, they literally split the difference. The only way I’d skew Rotations is if you expect to get 50+ days on this particular ski per year. Skiing the Radical ST 2s inbounds for a few seasons, I definitely appreciate the 10 year warranty and have needed it due to heel piece problems.

Curious if you have your boots yet? There’s really little to gain from a burlier binding if your boots are really light & soft; power transfer’s already somewhat compromised by the time you get to the bindings.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
One last question. Do you think the Navis freebird could still handle the resort decently with either binding?

Yes for sure. It will not feel as damp as a heavier ski with some metal but it has loads of grip and it is not a superlight ski. With the shift binding it will be able to absorb vibrations a bit better though.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As allways, my response is : What @Analisa says. ogsmile

Seriously though, you said 75% skinning right? And only 25% resort?

My vote would be Tecton if you worry about ski performance. (Especially on a wide ski like that, and if you might ski hard snow aggressively on it). Check the Blister Review where he skied a Tecton on one foot and Alpine binding on the other.

If it will be soft snow, or smooth skiing, go Vipec Evo.
Both those have the lateral release at the toe, a feature I appreciate for it's safety, especially if skiing inbounds.

The Shift is a great binding is you want something for 25% skinning/ 75% lifts. When you are skiing it, it's an alpine binding. But, transitions are much more complicated, it's heavier, has limited riser options etc. The Tecton is a much more functional system for touring, and skis just about as well.

Tecton and Vipec have elasticity in the toes too (not quite as much as Shift, but still a noticeable amount). This is probably the main reason why the Tecton skis downhill so well, after all, the rear is pretty much an alpine heel.

If the Rotation would ski well enough for you, then the Vipec Evo would too, while offering some extra safety and small ease of use and weight savings. Dynafit's long history and 10 year warranty is appealing if you are someone doing hard use and keeping it for a long time.

I think all of hese bindings have their place (We have Shifts on 1, soon 2 pairs of skis: for 75 lift/25% skinning), Vipec Evo on 95mm skis, and they can ski well, even inbounds on hard snow (but really not what we have them for). I skied the Tecton for a day on a rental, and it is easy to use. Due to ~3 feet of powder, I can't really comment on their skiing performance
( :ogbiggrin: ) but others have tested that.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since the founder of Black crows says he has those, mounted with alpine bindings, as his daily driver skis, I think the answer is "yes!"

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Since you are also in Colorado, Dynafit has awesome service here, they have a large service center in Boulder in the case you need it.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
75% touring I'd go for something lighter than the shift -- Tecton at the heavy end, Vipec as the middle end, and Helio 350 on the light end.

My default would be the Tecton because none of your regularly listed tours is going to be more than 1.5k vertical per lap. Vipecs if you want lighter. Both retain some elasticity and lateral toe release.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...because none of your regularly listed tours is going to be more than 1.5k vertical per lap.

The shorter the lap, the more important ease/speed of transitions becomes (ask me how I know: doing laps this spring in Duluth, when resorts closed. 400' vert = 10 minutes up - 3 minutes transition - 2 minutes down :( )

TS
A

Alanton84

Skier
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I bought the rotations but am rethinking the tecton. I will get the zero g guide pro, maestrale rs or Salomon mtn most likely.

TS
A

Alanton84

Skier
Also are you confident with reliability of Techtons?

Sponsor

Staff online