• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding Choice & Adjustment

LBK454

Booting up
Skier
I am in the process of buying a pair of Stockli Laser AX at 182cm. After reading many threads on here and elsewhere, it seems as to binding location most skiers prefer on this ski is anywhere from on the line to as much as 1.5 cm forward. The skis come with the Salomon XM 13 (which Phil says is same as Warden 13). These are not demo bindings. My question is: can these bindings, once mounted at centerline, be moved forward at all (i.e. 1/2 to 1 cm) without re-drilling, or is my best bet demo bindings such as Attack 13 or Warden Demo? For what its worth, I’ve skied 40 years, up to now I’ve always skied at centerline, my BSL is 28.5, and I’m 6’3” 230 pounds. Thanks for the advice.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
There are significant advantages to an adjustable position binding to help you dial in your ideal placement on the ski. The fact that you started a thread here should tell you that this will probably always be in the back of your mind; am I getting everything possible out of this ski at the current binding mount location?

I just went through this yesterday with my Stockli SR95. Tested 4 different positions and the differences between most forward and rearward were vast. Being able to find the optimal position is critically important to me.

If you're willing to make the investment in an adjustable binding, you won't be left wondering...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An adjustable binding is one option but it is not the answer to every problem and in fact it creates it's own issues. The more you ask anything to do, the less things it does well and the more adjustment you allow soemthing to do, the more moving parts are needed and there will be a loss in efficiency.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
An adjustable binding is one option but it is not the answer to every problem and in fact it creates it's own issues. The more you ask anything to do, the less things it does well and the more adjustment you allow soemthing to do, the more moving parts are needed and there will be a loss in efficiency.

All true, but I've been generally satisfied with the Tyrolia Attack demo and PowerRail bindings. I think the benefits outweigh the concerns when you're unsure of your optimal position on a ski.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure the stock XM binding is the Warden demo-binding.
My local Stockli shop only brings in the Lasers SL/SX/GS/AX with factory adjustable bindings, all nicely colour-matched to the ski.

If you look at the photo on the Stockli website for the AX, the offered binding is this below, which is on the demo track.

190144958_1.jpg

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m not sure how tall the adjustable binding is that your looking at is but my new Rossi 84 has the adjustable konnect binding and one of its drawbacks is how tall they are, Phil points this out, for an all mountain ski they ARE way too tall and I can’t wait to replace them with the SPX binding.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I’m not sure how tall the adjustable binding is that your looking at is but my new Rossi 84 has the adjustable konnect binding and one of its drawbacks is how tall they are, Phil points this out, for an all mountain ski they ARE way too tall and I can’t wait to replace them with the SPX binding.

Don't want to derail this thread, but everyone has their own preference when it comes to binding height. I actually prefer a higher binding stack up on my skis that are up to 95mm wide underfoot. I go flat on my big skis, but on groomer zoomer and all mountain skis, I like the additional edge leverage the higher stack height provides. I'm not landing 50' cliffs, so I don't see any disadvantages to the added height, but as I said, it's a preference and depends on how and where you typically ski.