• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How easy was it to access the button for the brakes? That was my one potential hesitation
Well, I took them out for a lap up our local hill after doing the lifts a bit. I took the long way to the top, through the woods. Halfway up I hit a bare patch and hiked. So all in all, I had quite a few times to lock and unlock the brakes.

They work super easy. After the boot pack, I could not get the brakes to stay locked up When I stepped in. I figured the cause was ice in there (34f), so just started skinning a few strides and tried again and sure enough, they stayed up just fine.

So yes, (other than having to remember to lock and unlock them), the brakes are very well done and very easy to use.

Have you (carpet) tested yours yet?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With some more practice, the brakes have become super easy.
The only thing I wish, was being able to rotate the heel pieces with a pole. I don’t think it’s possible.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Welcome @Hagan Ski USA! I did end up going with the Pure 8, but unfortunately, have only tested on the carpet. By the time I got all my gear and got the bindings mounted, Tahoe shut down. I was signed up to take a tour and an Avy class, both of which were canceled. (I'm a backcountry beginner, so wanted to go guided.) Alas, I will have to wait until next year.

But they look good mounted on my Elan Ripstick 94s!

One thing to note - there were a couple places in Tahoe that wouldn't mount the bindings - they didn't have the template. You guys gotta break into that market! (I ended up paying for a custom mount at The Backcountry in Truckee.)

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
One friendly suggestion, I would dial down your skiing while on piste with pin bindings. I addition, there is still wonderful backcountry skiing in the Sierra’s. We are enjoying a wonderful spring and summer ski season in Washington.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I addition, there is still wonderful backcountry skiing in the Sierra’s. We are enjoying a wonderful spring and summer ski season in Washington.

There was a bit of local/non-local tension earlier in the spring, right after the state shut down, re non-locals traveling to the mountains, which @laine is. :(

everest8850

cruising along
Skier
Im going to re-read this thread again as I''ve been looking to get a pair of ATK Crest 8s after selling my hardly used Dynafit SUperlite 2.0s - didnt like the idea of the RV9 in the heel when I ski around 6. Not many bindings out there that offer adjustable heel release. Love my Fritschi tectons though which are mounted on a more daily driver/ powder ski.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
+1 on the Techtons, I have them on one pair of skis and Vipecs on some others. Can't say I'm an accomplished skier to put them through their paces but they always feel solid and tour well. For me, the lighter weight Vipecs are probably a better match but I aspire to know what I'm doing some day.