• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Billy Joel's "Piano Man" explained.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On an off note: I've never bonded with BJ's music, and after watching the film "Hired Gun", I grew to really dislike him. Billy dropped musicians out of his band without explanation, and in 2006, he dumped the drummer who played with him for almost 30 years, even though he had MAJOR impacts on the production and performance of most of his hit songs. Apparently, BJ had promised to share songwriting royalties for music that collectively sold over 100 million units; afterward, Liberty DeVitto sued him for song royalties and finally got some settlement out of it.
I know many stories have more than one side to them...but BJ really came off as an a$$hole here and in other stories about this.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
On an off note: I've never bonded with BJ's music, and after watching the film "Hired Gun", I grew to really dislike him. Billy dropped musicians out of his band without explanation, and in 2006, he dumped the drummer who played with him for almost 30 years, even though he had MAJOR impacts on the production and performance of most of his hit songs. Apparently, BJ had promised to share songwriting royalties for music that collectively sold over 100 million units; afterward, Liberty DeVitto sued him for song royalties and finally got some settlement out of it.
I know many stories have more than one side to them...but BJ really came off as an a$$hole here and in other stories about this.
I heard murmorings of stuff like this way back in the lat 80s when I was active on the Long Island live music scene. I actually made some custom furniture for him at my day job there too. Heard he was an ass from the installers who delivered it. There are several artists who I can't stand on a personal, personality, or political opinions level but if they still write music that I can relate to, and play it well I can still enjoy it some. I draw the line at Gary Glitter though..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard murmorings of stuff like this way back in the lat 80s when I was active on the Long Island live music scene. I actually made some custom furniture for him at my day job there too. Heard he was an ass from the installers who delivered it. There are several artists who I can't stand on a personal, personality, or political opinions level but if they still write music that I can relate to, and play it well I can still enjoy it some. I draw the line at Gary Glitter though..
I can deal with politics in their music. I don't want to hear a diatribe at a concert. Unfortunately that happens. In 2004 Linda Ronstadt had so many people walk out on a show at the Aladdin in LV that people got their money back AND she wasn't allowed to perform there anymore.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Richie Cannata, his original sax player, left the band in the 80s, but I believe it was on good terms. He returned on several occasions to play on tours over the years. I have heard Cannata play many times as he lives a few miles from me and he talks about his time with Joel positively. Cannata and Devitto tour as members of the Lords of 57th Street, billed as Joel's original band. I have heard Devitto mention his feud with Joel so there is bitterness there. But when you sue your boss, you have to expect unpleasant things to happen. Ask Don Felder how suing the Eagles worked out.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But when you sue your boss, you have to expect unpleasant things to happen.
Ross Valory and Steve Smith got canned by Journey in a dispute over control of the band's name. It sounds like it wasn't pleasant.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ross Valory and Steve Smith got canned by Journey in a dispute over control of the band's name. It sounds like it wasn't pleasant.
Steve Smith got fired twice by Schon. Can't believe he went back for more after the first time. First time he found out about it before they even told him after he saw an ad in the local music paper auditioning drummers and recognized the phone number as Neal's

Sponsor

Staff online