• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Billy Joel's "Piano Man" explained.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
That is funny, someone reverse engineered the words to the song. When you think about it that could have been written by any person that ever played in a bar. The song does stereo type the regular drinking customers at just about any night spot in a major city.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was the winter of 1973/74. I was attending the NATTC (Navy Class A school) in Millington TN. A group of us went out for a night on the town in Memphis. Overton Square was the name of the entertainment district, I believe. We are wandering about and I spotted an a-frame sign out on the sidewalk in front of a bar. "TONIGHT ONLY - BILLY JOEL." Piano Man had just been released and was not yet a big hit, but I had heard of him cause I'm cool that way. "Hey, let's check this guy out, he's pretty good." Everyone shrugged and said OK, so we wander in the front door. "IDs Please" said the bouncer. We all whip out our wallets and everything proceeds normally until they check the ID of the one guy in our group who is only 17 and also happens to own the car and is our ride for the evening. "Sorry" says the bouncer. "Let's find another place..." the group mumbles and everyone heads off down the street as I'm standing sadly there ... "but... but... Billy Joel... "

My chance to see the Piano Man in a bar before he was a big shot - foiled!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was the winter of 1973/74. I was attending the NATTC (Navy Class A school) in Millington TN. A group of us went out for a night on the town in Memphis. Overton Square was the name of the entertainment district, I believe. We are wandering about and I spotted an a-frame sign out on the sidewalk in front of a bar. "TONIGHT ONLY - BILLY JOEL." Piano Man had just been released and was not yet a big hit, but I had heard of him cause I'm cool that way. "Hey, let's check this guy out, he's pretty good." Everyone shrugged and said OK, so we wander in the front door. "IDs Please" said the bouncer. We all whip out our wallets and everything proceeds normally until they check the ID of the one guy in our group who is only 17 and also happens to own the car and is our ride for the evening. "Sorry" says the bouncer. "Let's find another place..." the group mumbles and everyone heads off down the street as I'm standing sadly there ... "but... but... Billy Joel... "

Up north here, on our national radio station CBC- Radio2 , there is a segment every week called " The one that got away". Listeners send in their stories of woe about concerts they missed for whatever reason, and the host reads them on air.

Your story is exactly it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

So I guess your name's not Davey..

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, after a while he was under too much Pressure.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd rather hear the full story behind Big Shot. Probably all started at Captain Jack's house.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I'd rather hear the full story behind Big Shot. Probably all started at Captain Jack's house.
My guess a good story would have been a little bit about Up Town Girl his ex-wife the fashion model.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That was a nice piece of writing

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My guess a good story would have been a little bit about Up Town Girl his ex-wife the fashion model.
Ya, that was pretty obvious who the big shot was.. Details about where the party was and who else was there would be interesting.

Uncle-A

Skier
Ya, that was pretty obvious who the big shot was.. Details about where the party was and who else was there would be interesting.
I think the words are "They were all impressed with your Halston dress and the people that you knew at Elaine's" so I guess the party was at a place called Elaine's. A fancy restaurant bar in NYC named for owner Elaine Kaufman.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think the words are "They were all impressed with your Halston dress and the people that you knew at Elaine's" so I guess the party was at a place called Elaine's. A fancy restaurant bar in NYC named for owner Elaine Kaufman.
That was probably just one stop of many on a very wasted night of partying. Probably got the drugs from Captain Jack.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really enjoy the Billy Joel channel when it comes around on Sirius. He talks about his songs, albums, influences, and stuff in general. As he talks about influences he plays their tunes. He is a phenomenal writer and musician. I caught the explanation of "Piano Man". He was playing a bar in L.A. and the people who were mentioned were actual customers/employees. He explained real estate writer as the real estate guy who was going to write the great American novel. Billy ended up marrying the waitress. Davy really was in the Navy. John was the bartender and did give him free drinks.

Sponsor

Staff online