• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LloydSki

Livin The Dream
Skier
Wow that's impressive last time i hucked into Corbets i had to make a trip to the local dentist.. they make it look easy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So, why are they not on fat bikes? It seems to me wider tires would help, but it's their lives on the line so there must be a reason.

I wondered, too. I've tried to stay upright on a "normal"mountain bike in snow - it's HARD.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn. :hail:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, why are they not on fat bikes? It seems to me wider tires would help, but it's their lives on the line so there must be a reason.

That’s like asking why @cgeib skis skinny skis in powder.

I sent this to my dad a couple days ago. He asked if that is what I want for Christmas. I couldn’t help but wonder if he was asking if I wanted the cajones to do that but I’m pretty sure no money would buy those.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I sent this to my dad a couple days ago. He asked if that is what I want for Christmas. I couldn’t help but wonder if he was asking if I wanted the cajones to do that but I’m pretty sure no money would buy those.

I have a full triple crown downhill bike for sale, if he wants to buy it :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe sinking in causes some slowing and they'd be going even faster on fat bikes.
From the "making of" video they both crashes about 2/3 of the way down the "run out". In retrospect, it is probably a good thing... they were probably still accelerating, and even if they weren't, crashing on the flat at the bottom would have hurt a lot more.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ It's crazy to think they would do it knowing it would end in a crash, just a question of how spectacular. Rag-dolling with a bike is never a good idea. :eek:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^^^ It's crazy to think they would do it knowing it would end in a crash, just a question of how spectacular. Rag-dolling with a bike is never a good idea. :eek:

But did they "know" it would end in a crash? Or was that just a likely outcome?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's crazy. Did they have a plan to stop otherwise? A glimmer of hope? Or, was physics going to prevail whatever they did?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, his trial run (where they lowered him in on a rope) ended in a crash. His real run ended in a crash. Her run ended in a crash.
Does it take three data points to "know"? Is two sufficient? One, if he didn't feel there was anything different he could have done?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Fat bikes bounce when landing. Fine for me, landing from one foot up, but for this, it’s a different story.
  • There are no stock DH fatbikes. For speeds like this, you need the long wheelbase and super slack head angle.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh and regarding the gender thing: I am a bike nerd, so I know Casey Brown is a woman, but of course many don’t. So when watching it with my girls, I just mention: look, SHE’S getting, ready, there SHE goes. I don’t say anything else, just helping them notice that the athlete happens to be a woman, without explicitly mentioning it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I came here to start a thread about this and now I feel lame, remember watching it but never really savoring it when it came out a month ago.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This clip from TGR is incredibly fun to watch.
Not sure if its ski related or bike related, but I'll say both.
Crazy cool!

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First video makes it look too easy. Second shows the real deal:)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski it in the morning, bike it in the afternoon?
Who's in?