• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike you wanted to love but never did

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Inspired by this thread - What’s your favorite? (Pic thread)
I had a big desire to love the feel of steel with this LeMond Zed, but I never got stoked about road biking and sold it two years after I got it, with only 2 rides and one almost ride.
I guess this crush was never meant to be my love
10399868_238671775017_8017600_n.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Inspired by this thread - What’s your favorite? (Pic thread)
I had a big desire to love the feel of steel with this LeMond Zed, but I never got stoked about road biking and sold it two years after I got it, with only 2 rides and one almost ride.
I guess this crush was never meant to be my love
10399868_238671775017_8017600_n.jpg
I was slow to warm to road riding. I grew up riding a bike for transportation because my mother didn't drive. Occasionally my friends and I would go for long rides on the Prairie Path (Chicago area), but that was the extent of recreational cycling for me. When I lived in Chicago after college I did a little road riding along the lakeshore. When I moved to the Bay Area I bought a mountain bike, which I rode in the Marin Headlands regularly. I also ended up commuting to work on that bike. I thought road riders were a little strange with all the lycra and seriousness.
Then I moved to Davis, and my mountain bike became my utility bike. I used it to pull my daughter in a Burley trailer and then on a Trail-a Bike. I bought a hybrid bike to be more efficient. My brother had been road riding off and on for years, and my sister started riding Cycle Oregon and training for that, so I bought a road bike and started road riding to join them. I didn't start having fun with it until my brother and I signed up for a supported ride that went from Davis to Santa Rosa. I wasn't quite prepared for that ride, but I had tons of fun, and it motivated me to ride more and to sign up for more organized rides (which meant more training rides, etc.). Davis has a huge cycling club with a race team, but while I have ridden on some of their rides and know some great people who ride with them, I prefer to ride with a small group of friends or by myself. I have had so many great days on my road bike. I love the sense of freedom and also the camaraderie of a tough ride with a group of friends. I also like riding by myself because it gives me time to think and to do my own thing.
I started missing mountain biking a few years ago and finally bought a full-suspension bike last summer. Mountain biking is not what it used to be for me. My last mountain bike was fully-rigid. The trails I rode were smooth. I've been seriously challenged and terrified on my new bike. I had a bad crash in a clinic last fall and ended up with a quad contusion and having to replace my helmet. I thought maybe my Marin Hawk Hill might be the bike I wanted to love, but didn't. But over the winter I resolved to only do rides I felt comfortable on, and with people I felt comfortable with. I haven't made it on to too many mountain bike rides yet this season, but the ones I've done were confidence boosters. And as soon as I recover from foot surgery I'm going to go ride the smooth trails in the Marin Headlands, and hopefully ride in Tahoe with @Tricia.
Here's a picture of me on my bike last summer before I started going on terrifying rides:
IMG_4624.jpg

@Tricia, if you ever want to give road riding another try, I have an extra bike you could use!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This is a bike I actually did love, but also came to realize all the hacks I had to do to make it fit, meant it wasn't the long-time bike for me.

I rode it on my first bike tour ever: a 800mi trip around the south eastern US. Bike saved my life at a time I didn't have much else.

A 1984 Centurion Pro Tour. All the radness of 1980s touring bikes: braze ons, wiring for dynamo lights, a big triple, canti brakes, and full chromed underneath the paint.
ROiXRjN.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The trails I rode were smooth. I've been seriously challenged and terrified on my new bike. I had a bad crash in a clinic last fall and ended up with a quad contusion and having to replace my helmet.
We definitely need to ride together when you heal up.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any mtb hardtail!

I'll always own one, but they get used a LOT more for gravel road riding than real mtb riding.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well well well. Right when you least expect it...some old love comes back into your life.

T6VRA9i.jpg

I couldn't resist for the price. Not my size. But for a very reasonable price depending on the final build, some shorter friend of mine is going to have an insanely classy, very versatile bike.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What is that, ~55ish?

Good eye given the lack of clues: 56. Just 8cm short my ideal size.

Already claimed by a friend. Going to build it up to be a bit more upright with a basket so he can ride with his kid (and soon to be second kid) to the neighborhood school and grocery store.

Sponsor

Staff online