• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike Garage Storage Solution

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For years I’ve used a simple wall hang rack that required me to take a bike off if it happened to be the outside and I wanted the inside bike. I’ve wanted to find something that would allow me to not do that but still keep the bikes close to the wall. Enter this product. https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/velo-hinge/ Easy to install, easy to use. Swing out to remove a bike, swing in to wall for storage.

3D172D5A-9894-4DCF-B590-28FE3A60B909.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
For years I’ve used a simple wall hang rack that required me to take a bike off if it happened to be the outside and I wanted the inside bike. I’ve wanted to find something that would allow me to not do that but still keep the bikes close to the wall. Enter this product. https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/velo-hinge/ Easy to install, easy to use. Swing out to remove a bike, swing in to wall for storage.

View attachment 75838

Thanks, I think I need this in my new place!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nice piece of kit. Looks like a great solution for 2-3 bikes.

Not sure I want to be swinging in/out all 8 of ours every time I reach for one ;).

Why am I not surprised u have so many :roflmao::golfclap:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Why am I not surprised u have so many :roflmao::golfclap:

I like my bikes like I like my skis: old, cheap, and with plenty of stories.

There are two "young" bikes in the collection. A modern mountain bike and a S&S coupled travel bike. But the others are from... 1968 (Carlton Catalina -- 3sp cruiser build), 1983 (Trek 620 -- commuter build), 1984 (Centurion Pro Tour -- SOs longer ride bike), 1984 (Fuji Mixte -- SOs city bike), 1995 (Diamondback Axis TT Titanium -- built SS as a bar/grocery bike), and date-unknown, late 90s, ( Waterford lugged 531 frame -- "roadie")

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you use them all regularly? If not, just put those used regularly on the outside of the file and you only have to swing those out to get the bike down.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited by a moderator:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like that, but I'm not sure I'd want to hang my carbon rims from it. Could maybe pad the hook?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I like that, but I'm not sure I'd want to hang my carbon rims from it. Could maybe pad the hook?

I hang all my carbon rims from the hooks, Carbon is plenty strong and stiff, that’s why you buy them. Your bike probably weighs no more than 26-28 pounds spread out over two wheels,

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We use a Saris overhead storage rack. 4 bikes, they are high enough our car hood fits underneath.

https://www.rei.com/product/820428/...afRdjEdtBRQqoqf0HcxUZjRy2n92HrUwaAkL6EALw_wcB

And a pole, floor to ceiling 2 bike rack. Can be mounted in minutes, only need about 16” of space from the wall.

For some reason your link isn't working. I think you mean this one. https://www.rei.com/product/820428/saris-cycleglide-4-bike-ceiling-mount-storage-rack

I am just not strong enough to hoist my mountain bike up over my head like that so it doesn't work for me but if I could and had the ceiling space it's a great set up.

The hook is rubberized. You might be able to get the bigger hook then some padding if you really wanted to but I've seen so many systems storing by hanging off the wheel that I gave up on being concerned about it.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
you can lift one wheel first, put the wheel on the hook, then the other, you dont have to lift the whole bike over your head... I think you are strong enough to lift 30 pounds :). I asked about wider hooks for my fat bike but they dont make them any wider.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Do you use them all regularly? If not, just put those used regularly on the outside of the file and you only have to swing those out to get the bike down.

Most get out at least weekly. Roadie the least. Never know what you're going to want to ride into work. Some days you want to take it slow on the cruiser, some days you want all the amenities of the commuter, some days you just wanna go fast.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You folks keep your bikes in the garage?!

I live in a 1 bedroom condo with an attached garage. I simply don't have space to store all my gear inside something other than my garage if I want a place to sit or sleep. For security reasons I no longer carry my garage door opener in my car because we've had so many trailhead car break ins around here. I can open it with an app on my phone or a keypad by the garage. That app will also tell me whenever my garage door opens and/or stays open for longer than a set period. I also no longer carry a key to my house and just use a keypad to the front door when not entering through the garage although I've been tempted to add a keypad lock from the garage into the condo as well.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
We use a Saris overhead storage rack. 4 bikes, they are high enough our car hood fits underneath.

https://www.rei.com/product/820428/saris-cycleglide-4-bike-ceiling-mount-storage-rack?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-184065-_-233965-_-NA&avad=233965_b162731a1&url=https://www.rei.com/product/820428/saris-cycleglide-4-bike-ceiling-mount-storage-rack?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-184065-_-233965-_-NA&avad=233965_b162731a1&avad=233965_b162731a1

And a pole, floor to ceiling 2 bike rack. Can be mounted in minutes, only need about 16” of space from the wall.

Edit: Fix broken link

Just looked at the picture. I guess it explains why you have such light bikes.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online