• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I met some Pugsters on July 11, 2019 and we rode 30 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail in Western PA from Meyersdale to Confluence.
This is a very nice rural rail-trail with a crushed stone surface. It runs from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD. We rode a section about halfway in between.
This trail features some great bridges and tunnels for bikers. This is @Gary Stolt

gary bike 1.jpg
@CharlieM
charlie bike 1.jpg
Gary with small country graveyard in background.
gary bike 2.jpg
We rode beside blooming wild rhododendrons for many miles.
gary bike 3.jpg
Now that the glamour shots have been posted, here is the rainy portion of the ride. Fortunately the trail held up pretty well in wet conditions. I've been known to don a plastic trash bag on rainy bike days and rainy ski days.
jim bike 1.jpg

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Then on July 12 and 13 we played golf at Canaan Valley State Park Golf Course with our host @jimmy in great 75 degs weather.
The fab four at Canaan Valley, WV , L-R: Charlie, Jim, Jimmy, Gary
foursome golf.jpg
Amazingly, Charlie biked and golfed on one leg all weekend. He gets a total knee replacement job on his right leg on July 16.
charlie golf 1.jpg
The mountain behind Gary and Charlie is the Whitegrass Nordic Ski Center.
gary golf 1.jpg
Gary strokes one. He is a single digit handicapper and keeps the rest of us in our place well behind him on the golf course.
gary golf 2.jpg
That is the Canaan Valley downhill ski area in the background of this photo of Gary.
gary golf 3.jpg
Jimmy showing his follow-through.
jimmy golf 1.jpg
Jim, Adam and Jimmy. Adam is a PSIA telemark ski instructor in the winter and works part time at the golf course in summer.
jimmy golf 2.jpg

Jimmy aiming for the pin on a pretty par 3 hole.
jimmy golf 3.jpg
Gary explaining how he kicks our butt on the golf course.
jimmy golf 4.jpg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Then on July 12 and 13 we played golf at Canaan Valley State Park Golf Course with our host @jimmy in great 75 degs weather.
The fab four at Canaan Valley, WV , L-R: Charlie, Jim, Jimmy, Gary
View attachment 77172 Amazingly, Charlie biked and golfed on one leg all weekend. He gets a total knee replacement job on his right leg on July 16.
View attachment 77173 The mountain behind Gary and Charlie is the Whitegrass Nordic Ski Center.
View attachment 77174 Gary strokes one. He is a single digit handicapper and keeps the rest of us in our place well behind him on the golf course.
View attachment 77175 That is the Canaan Valley downhill ski area in the background of this photo of Gary.
View attachment 77176 Jimmy showing his follow-through.
View attachment 77177 Jim, Adam and Jimmy. Adam is a PSIA telemark ski instructor in the winter and works part time at the golf course in summer.
View attachment 77178
Jimmy aiming for the pin on a pretty par 3 hole.
View attachment 77179 Gary explaining how he kicks our butt on the golf course.
View attachment 77180

Looks like a sweet course! Nice wide fairways. Kind of reminds me of the course at 7springs, which if you haven't played, put it on your list. One of my personal favorites.

CharlieM

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Jimmy for hosting again this year. Thanks JimK for putting up with my erratic, inconsistent golf game and thanks to Gary for being the long distant traveler that he is and being willing to drive that far and spend the weekend with us!!!
Let's do it again sometime.

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Remember, men lie about three things. How tall they are; what their golf handicap is; and how long their XXXX is. Women also lie about three things. How old they are; how much they weigh; and...

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey sorry about the rain on Thursday it's been raining down there since I left on March 31. It's not what I ordered but Friday and Saturday were spectacular. Glad we could do this again maybe we could expand it next year. As for Gary's handicap.....................

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'm happy you guys got through the ride okay. The storms around the region have been really nasty and very frequent. It looks like Friday was as nice down in Canaan as it was here in the 'Burgh. Hopefully, I'll be in better condition for a long ride later this summer.

Sponsor

Staff online