• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone. I am trying to zero in on a location for my first journey this year and thought I’d get the sentiments on Big White.

All things I see are pretty positive, the only thing I would wonder is if its going to get monotonous. I know its a big place but it seems from the few articles I’ve read that there might be a lack of upper intermediate/ advanced areas? (Everyone is cheering the amounts mid to lower intermediate) Can anyone chime in on this. Any information would be much appreciated.

I’m a 43 y.o level 7-8 skier who loves the tress and exploring off piste. My fav. places to date which I have found to be about perfect are Whitefish, Brighton and PowderMtn. I def am not looking for “gnar” and amenities, I couldn’t care less about. Roach motel and a local tavern for a beer and burger is more my flavor.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
What you have heard is pretty accurate. It definitely lacks expert terrain compared to most Western ski areas and is somewhat lacking in challenging intermediate terrain. I would note that your definition of challenging may be different than a Western skier. I also note the western hills you have skied are relatively 'mellow'. Big White is a destination family resort.. Good Canadian beer and burger for sure but not cheap although US$ exchange helps. The biggest drawback to Big White is fog. We call it 'Big Whiteout' and I no longer go there for that reason. IMHO a better choice would be Sun Peaks. Same destination family resort but fog is not much of an issue and it has more upper intermediate terrain.
Neither hill is cheap and you are about an hour drive from cheaper options (Kelowna and Kamloops). Also neither hill gets as much powder as Brighton or Powder Mtn but the terrain is a good match with your previous experience particularly Sun Peaks.
If you are willing to dial up the challenge a notch or two and are looking for a bit more 'old school', less manicured experience you might consider flying into Spokane and doing a Red Mountain/Whitewater combo trip. The intermediate trees off Paradise chair at Red and Silver King chair at Whitewater are hard to beat.

Last edited:

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
For an upper intermediate/advanced skier, Big White should be fun..for a little bit anyway. 2 or 3 days, no problem.

If you have a car, you can always spice things up with nearby Silver Star, which has some great fall line skiing on the backside, and Apex. I have never been to Apex, but it has a reputation for good challenge.

Revelstoke can be done as a day trip from Kelowna as well.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely not a super expert place, but you can find enough challenging terrain to keep you from getting too bored. It is a great place for a early season warm-up trip. The Cliff and Easter Chutes on one side and all the glades on the Gem Lake side are good. I have been several times, for a week at a time, and always have a good time there. I have never been really fogged in either. We have had 2 foggy days ( not in a row) but it was an inversion, so it was bright and sunny up top, thick as soup in the village. And because its touted as a family resort, once you get away from the two main chairs out of the village and all the blue runs, the place is empty.
And everything in Canada is on sale for you guys, 1/3 off.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
have never skied Powder Mtn or Brighton but if you enjoy Whitefish - Big White is a western Canadian twin. Very similar for terrain, amount of snow, and tree skiing even the snow ghosts and fog potential are similar.
Big White has more on hill facilities .

What is not similar is the distance to town. If your looking to avoid on hill costs it's about 50 min to Kelowna.

if you also want some more challenging fall line terrain add Silver Star (Vernon) and Apex (Penticton ) both hills are also closer to their town.
very easy to link the three if you are road tripping

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I now live in Penticton and Apex is my home hill. It is small, great for experts and uber experts but not so good for intermediates. BTW I have skied all the hills mentioned in this thread so have a pretty good frame of reference. Feel free to PM me for more info.

TS
Jnelly

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I really appreciate it. I definitely think Sun Peaks and Big White are great options and even leaning Sun Peaks. Castle Dave talked me off the Revy option so there is one less thing to worry about.

Sponsor

Staff online