• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@cosmoliu - Expects me to have or set up an account in order to view.

OK, Sorry. I had forgotten about having registered. I guess that the browsers both at home and at the office "remember" my login information. I can't strip the video out of VuMedi to embed. Too bad- he covered a lot of good detail. I did search the doctor, he's a cardiologist at the University of Missouri Kansas City, in YouTube and can imbed one video that I found. Several caveats, though: 1) The link I posted above dealt primarily with sugar/simple carbs. 2) This video is sponsored by a whey protein producer. 3) This is like 9 years old.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@SnowCountry - Hope you've gotten past that plateau and found your traction again. The holidays are tough. If you "catch an edge" and need to get your bearings again, send up a signal. There are people here who have been down that path and will offer support.

@RuleMiHa - Thanks for mentioning The Obesity Code. It makes sense of things that just didn't make sense. I've bought 6 copies and wanted to pass along to you the thanks I've been receiving.

TS
SnowCountry

SnowCountry

Booting up
Skier
@SnowCountry - Hope you've gotten past that plateau and found your traction again. The holidays are tough. If you "catch an edge" and need to get your bearings again, send up a signal. There are people here who have been down that path and will offer support.

@RuleMiHa - Thanks for mentioning The Obesity Code. It makes sense of things that just didn't make sense. I've bought 6 copies and wanted to pass along to you the thanks I've been receiving.

Negative. I'm up about 5 pounds due to the holiday season and lack of time for workouts. I'll resume, along with the rest of the country and their dogs, on January 1st.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, so since this thread has been resurrected, I think I'll post a couple of things I've picked up in the last couple of weeks. I'm swinging back around from a bit of an excursion to one of the outer fringes of the diet debate.

I ran across this podcast of an interview by Shane Parrish, a general interest (fairly cerebral) blogger I subscribe to, farnamstreetblog.com:

https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2017/11/gary-taubes-sugar/

Gary Taubes is a journalist/science writer and author of Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat. What I find most compelling about him is his journalist's approach to nutritional history and it's related peer reviewed literature. Here is a NY Times Magazine article he wrote 6 years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

And a talk he gave at Cornell in 2014:

Pick your poison- The podcast for on the go, the NY Times article for a sit-down read, or the YouTube video with tables. The content expresses the same message.

@Lorenzzo : Note what he has to say about the old saw "calories in-calories out".

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so since this thread has been resurrected, I think I'll post a couple of things I've picked up in the last couple of weeks. I'm swinging back around from a bit of an excursion to one of the outer fringes of the diet debate.

I ran across this podcast of an interview by Shane Parrish, a general interest (fairly cerebral) blogger I subscribe to, farnamstreetblog.com:

https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2017/11/gary-taubes-sugar/

Gary Taubes is a journalist/science writer and author of Good Calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat. What I find most compelling about him is his journalist's approach to nutritional history and it's related peer reviewed literature. Here is a NY Times Magazine article he wrote 6 years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

And a talk he gave at Cornell in 2014:

Pick your poison- The podcast for on the go, the NY Times article for a sit-down read, or the YouTube video with tables. The content expresses the same message.

@Lorenzzo : Note what he has to say about the old saw "calories in-calories out".
I'm 20 minutes into it and so far he's cherrypicked populations that are obese despite supposed low calorie intake without going into detail i.e. the math, disputed overconsumption, without data, pure anecdote, when there's so much research supporting that I didn't think it was at issue in true science, and also disputes the exercise link by anecdote with no data. Does it get any better? IMO he makes the case for ignoring non-peer reviewed research. Does the remaining 3/4 of the video contain science supporting what he's saying? Does anyone credible corroborate?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Back in 2012-2013 I re-booted my fitness, dropping my weight from around 220 to 175. It took me 8 months. The ingredients:

- A realistic weight target. For me, I want to be somewhere around 175-180lbs. I'm from stout German stock, so - seriously - anything less than 170lbs is, uh, just silly for my age and frame.

- Diet: balanced: fruit, veggies, lean meats (mostly chicken), quinuoa, etc. No big sources of carbs (rice, chips, etc). Reduced sodium. No dairy - except for modest amounts of cheese and yogurt. I pay attention to the potential calories of my food intake and make my choices accordingly. Lots of water. No meals or snacking after 8pm.

- Sleep. At least 7hrs. To bed by 11pm. I'm a habitual night owl, so 11 is "early" for me. A proper sleep schedule seemed to really help with my weight loss.

- Indoor Exercise. 5 days a week: 1/2 hr strength exercise (weight, squats, etc), 1/2 hr back exercises, 1hr cardio (usually programmed bike spinning). 2 consecutive days recovery. I typically exercise in the evening (7:30pm-9:30pm). I'll hydrate during and after. I'll also have maybe an ounce of some sort of protein after.

- Outdoor "exercise": 2-3 days a week: at least 2 mile walk/hike. 2-3 days a week skiing (winter). I do lots of other stuff, but I don't want to write a book here. The bottom line: I make a point of avoiding the couch.

The first 4 months my weight dropped around 20lbs. After that the weight loss was slower. I attribute this to increasing muscle mass. I bottomed at around 168 for a couple months (amazing, but not sustainable for me), and eventually settled at 175. Again, I'm pretty sure that was due to muscle mass.

Last year I had an injury (not skiing related) in April that took me off the active list for 3 months. Weight went up to 187. I resumed my exercise schedule in July. I'm at 182 as I write this. Weight loss has been slower this time around - but that's probably because 1) lots of traveling & family festivities this summer and 2) I haven't been skiing every week ... YET. [Sheesh, what a sucky winter so far in the PNW this year.].

Back when I started this program in 2012/2013, I was obsessed with my weight and calories. Too obsessed. I've since learned it's primarily about time and commitment. If I stay committed and stick with it then I'll eventually achieve and maintain healthy fitness, weight & BMI. Emphasis on "fitness". THAT is what really matters to me.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 20 minutes into it and so far he's cherrypicked populations that are obese despite supposed low calorie intake without going into detail i.e. the math, disputed overconsumption, without data, pure anecdote, when there's so much research supporting that I didn't think it was at issue in true science, and also disputes the exercise link by anecdote with no data. Does it get any better? IMO he makes the case for ignoring non-peer reviewed research. Does the remaining 3/4 of the video contain science supporting what he's saying? Does anyone credible corroborate?

You're not swayed by Taubes' comments. That's OK. I just paged you to "note" what he had to say about sugar/calories. You did so, and I'm good with that.

So, let's try the YouTube lecture referenced in paragraph 1 of Taubes' NY Times article by Dr. Robert Lustig, pediatric endocrinologist at UCSF, on the front lines in the fight against childhood obesity. While Taubes does not footnote his comments, every slide Dr. Lustig displays, except for the biochemistry slides, is footnoted. I encourage you to slog through the whole lecture, but I will quote his summary statement at 1:26:25: "A calorie is not a calorie. Fructose is not glucose... Fructose is poison". In his biochemistry slides, at 1:04:45 he makes the point that 30% of ingested fructose calories are obligatorily stored as fat. Oh, and he addresses the exercise link, with kind of a good news/bad news tilt. True, he may have detractors, but the biochemistry is solid. And like Taubes poses in the NYT article: What if he's right?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Loosing weight is not only about food choices. Mental health has a big part in it too. Actually I do not like weight loss as a single goal. It is best to target to be healthy and just add some performance goals in there (like run a 10k (or cycle 40km) in a certain amount of time, be able to do x amount of pull-ups etc) that makes it all more fun. The is just not a single formula for everyone.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
I used to weigh about 215lbs. Four years ago I went on the HCG diet using "drops". I stuck to it. It worked like a charm. I lost 40 lbs in 4-5 months and it has been off since. Since I lost the weight it has been no problem whatsoever to maintain the 175 wt. I eat real good but follow a few simple eating habits. I disagree with "no eating after 7". I alter that by Absolutely no eating after dinner then have a small bedtime snack about 1 hr before bedtime, for me that's 9pm. Weight loss is not easy, but it was easy for me because I went to a seminar and got brainwashed watching videos of all these people who did the diet and it worked. Also, my wife is a good cook and took care of all the food preparation, which took a little doing, but it worked. I put a bunch of people on the diet, and almost all of them lost about 20lb, but most of them gained it back, very likely because they didn't change their eating habits permanently.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Carbs take a bad rap when the real culprit is inactivity and a growing trend of sedentary occupations and lifestyles.

THIS!!! Diet matters, of course, and we're learning more about it every year.

But I firmly believe the primary problem is that people don't get out from behind their monitors/phones/whatevers enough anymore.

A few weight loss/maintenance guidelines from a fairly accomplished endurance athlete that lost 36 pounds in 4 months about 12 years ago, and has never put it back on:

1. When you're creeping, quit eating after dinner. Period.

2. Tailor breakfast to your activity level.

3. Eat most after big exercise events. Within one hour is best.

4. Portion control!

5. Sugar is not your enemy, but excess sugar paired without any activity is death to weight control. Yo-yo, baby!

6. Finally, and most importantly, when cooking kale, use high quality olive oil, as this makes it easier to slide out of the pan into the trash can.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi all, this thread was brought to my attention recently and I'm happy it was. The videos about fat, and sugar are really informative.
Yesterday marked my one year anniversary of joining Weight Watchers. It inspired me to get more active and pay better attention to what I eat.
I've been quite successful and am glad I had a pattern of following those good habits before all the craziness of 2020.

Cheers to good health and wellness for all Pugskiers

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yes, having that pattern has prevented the Covid 15. As in a 15 lb gain. I'm at 2-3 lbs, and that's just not getting the exercise I need. And thank you @Tricia for the review on Lindsay's book. So far a good read!!

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Same. WW has made it possible for me to keep it reasonable during this whole 2020 craziness. I travelled a bunch a the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020. Can I just say that "shelter in place" was soooo much harder than my European travels. There was little to no activity and a really strong desire to nibble. I have done the 5 lb see saw but overall have hung in there.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my life diet is listed under fitness. So is conditioning and mental health. Covid has tipped me upside down.

I have crept about 8 lbs since March. Eatings is now an obsession, and life now is all about me! (mental health). We were walking 1.5 miles per day up until about three weeks ago. Nothing now. My wife works out once a day with her highly qualified trainer... best friend. Maureen retired in March and spends much of her time at home analysing my lack of productivity.

The key for my weight control has been changing what I eat. Since about 8 years ago, it's been Paleo and I like it because you don't have to keep track - keep the carbs down, fat up and shop carefully. Building muscle is a significant part of conditioning. It's all about lifting and brief high-intensity training - neither of which is part of my routine these days. Muscle mass helps with diet. I have found that my eating is guided by these years of training myself around what naturally keeps weight off. When I hit 190 lbs I intend to go two weeks on Keto. That is kind of like cheating but it does give me a "re-set". But using the scale is misleading. I see myself as "skinnyfat" right now (body fat is up and muscle mass is down). The scale can decieve.

There are many other serious health issues going on. Fitness would be a good place to start.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunday, (it's Friday the 26th June), I started back at KETO. It's five days and I am down nine lbs. Happy I guess but it has been challenging. Carbs are very low. No testing but I think it's very safe to say Ketosis is on.

I know that the 9 lb loss does not represent accurate weight loss...because of water loss, if you believe in that. Maybe 5 more lbs and I will switch over to Paleo. I do believe that keeping carbs low and fats high is a good way to eat. But sugar is always calling.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@no edge Glad to hear you're finding your way again. I've been yo-yoing a little since the SIP started, but overall I still feel good and WW is still working for me. I recently made a committment to quit alcohol for a week or two and see how my body responds. If its anything like the past I'm going to bet I'll feel pretty good.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Two weeks - without a drink... not possible. But I think you may feel better. Sometimes we don't know the benefits of a cocktail until we quit.

The Keto experiment always clears my head and helps my arthritis. Let us know how your human experiment goes with alcohol.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online