• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Big Snow American Dream Indoor Ski Area (SnoGo snow biking)!

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 2:

This time, I was joined by ski friends @Olesya C , @tinymoose , @Large Squirrel, @MissySki , and Rob, another ski buddy who needs to join Pugski. :).

I used my K2 Fatty snowblades. This was a great exercise in balance, as these things are only 88cm long. It took me a few runs to feel confident. But they are great for a place like this because they make the run seem a lot longer, and they can snake in and out of tight spaces.

Social distancing signs are set up in the lift lines. They aren’t always followed.....I think it’s a matter of people forgetting and letting their guard down. I didn’t feel unsafe, though. Everyone was masked.
FAC1EB8A-C6E2-4EB9-9E9C-32649432EC27.jpeg
The terrain park has some nice features and is separated from the main run by a snow fence, so there’s no cross traffic. The red cones were great slalom gates. ogsmile
9A5F028B-BB2E-4627-9FF6-F3F5A06EA2B4.jpeg
Ski Patrol is present:
1C479D04-EEF9-4A73-9DDB-5289E625D299.jpeg
Us girls having fun. From left to right: @Olesya C , @tinymoose , me, @MissySki.
278CD616-5EDE-4713-88AF-9EE11D6C011B.jpeg
Large Squirrel and Rob, with tinymoose peeking from behind them:
961859EC-346D-4280-A426-35125451DDC2.jpeg
After skiing, we brought our lunches to Richard DeKorte Park on the Hackensack River, part of the New Jersey Meadowlands. There’s a nice view of the NYC skyline across the river, lots of hiking trails and bird blinds, and a large wildlife center (currently closed due to Covid).
9675A312-D00C-4392-B908-DBFD013AF7F3.jpeg 35B58C35-9222-4469-9153-3B70CD436BC5.jpeg
It was a great day. I’ll be back since I bought a 6-pack pass. I’ll be on my snow blades or skis; I’ll have to wait until I get to a ski area with longer runs to get back on the Sno-Go.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s the temp?....do they keep it cold enough to warrant full on winter shells/pants? Looks like everyone is in full winter gear. (The one guy even has layers on under his shell.

Stupid question...but is it the same snow/snow making process as used outside?....they use snow guns/fans....and groomers?

I guess I need to read up about this place....interesting thread.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The adaptive program I used to teach for used ski bikes for people who could not stand easily but had enough mobility that they did not need a sit ski. They worked really well and we never had a problem with safety.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s the temp?....do they keep it cold enough to warrant full on winter shells/pants? Looks like everyone is in full winter gear. (The one guy even has layers on under his shell.

Stupid question...but is it the same snow/snow making process as used outside?....they use snow guns/fans....and groomers?

The indoor temperature is kept at a constant 28 degrees. I am not sure what the humidity, or wet-bulb temperature is. We were looking for the snow guns yesterday. There are large fans on the walls at even intervals, but they didn’t appear to be snow fans, although we could see white PVC piping along the walls. It was a bit of a mystery. I imagine they’d have to groom it; when I go back I will look to see if there’s signs of a groomer anywhere, and I will also ask about snowmaking.

It doesn’t feel as cold as 28 degrees does outside here in the East. There’s no wind. I had on my fly-fishing jacket (which is basically a Patagonia nano air jacket) and a light base layer beneath it, and I was very comfortable.

Reactions: BC.
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The adaptive program I used to teach for used ski bikes for people who could not stand easily but had enough mobility that they did not need a sit ski. They worked really well and we never had a problem with safety.
That is really great to hear. I love that this bike can increase accessibility for people.
I could seriously see myself owning a Sno-Go in the future for 2 reasons:
  1. Snowboard boots are FAR more comfortable and warm for me than ski boots.
  2. My knees aren’t what they used to be; they are not put under as much strain on the bike as on skis. The angulation and articulation required to edge the skis is accomplished by simply applying downward pressure to the handlebar and footpad.
  3. Knee alignment issues are not relevant with a Sno-Go.
Loading the lift with one is really easy. It’s easier to get across flat areas compared to a snowboard. I think some fo the safety concerns are unfounded. The terrain accessible appears to be limited to the skill and imagination of the rider. I saw one guy land huge jumps in the terrain park on one. But even that takes a back seat to someone who just wants to get back on the snow and have fun. Boring blue and green cruisers (if one thinks they’re now boring) become interesting on a Sno-Go.

It would definitely be a way to get my husband back on the snow. He cannot wear ski boots and he’s past learning to snowboard, due to the week of falling hard on ones butt and hands that learning it requires.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The indoor temperature is kept at a constant 28 degrees. I am not sure what the humidity, or wet-bulb temperature is. We were looking for the snow guns yesterday. There are large fans on the walls at even intervals, but they didn’t appear to be snow fans, although we could see white PVC piping along the walls. It was a bit of a mystery. I imagine they’d have to groom it; when I go back I will look to see if there’s signs of a groomer anywhere, and I will also ask about snowmaking.

It doesn’t feel as cold as 28 degrees does outside here in the East. There’s no wind. I had on my fly-fishing jacket (which is basically a Patagonia nano air jacket) and a light base layer beneath it, and I was very comfortable.

So it is actual “snow”? (man made, of course)....

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Come on out one day and see for yourself.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Come on out one day and see for yourself.
I was there last December 2019, it is an interesting place. I think I posted something short about the place and maybe a photo. Your writing is very extensive and lots of photos, I hope you used your two hour block to spend the time on snow. I remember that it was a short run and you can get maybe 30 or 40 runs in the two hours. It was a good first day on snow to get your ski legs back. I was thinking about heading up there to get a few runs in. Now you can start the 2020 - 2021 How many days this season thread. Enjoy

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
278CD616-5EDE-4713-88AF-9EE11D6C011B.jpeg
Nice Ruel Christy

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Brighton has become a popular resort for those riding snow bikes. On weekends or busier days, there can be a few dozen out on the mountain, split pretty evenly between the 3-ski and 2-ski models. The Brighton rental shop has a fleet of around 10 or so SnoGos and Ski School has staff to provide lessons. Most of the people I see riding there are on a snow bike they own.
Speaking of Brighton, I rode up the lift with a snow bike with one there in January & asked her if I could take a pix. She said that she absolutely loved snow biking and probably would never go back to skiing. The two ski ones load vertically with the bike seat on the lift seat & handlebars behind the seat back. 5E1A0BA1-EC70-4D64-989C-4BDA74AF8772.jpeg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 2:
Large Squirrel and Rob, with tinymoose peeking from behind them:
View attachment 111056

@tinymoose spying on her scheming husband @Large Squirrel and Rob in the midst of plotting something...

...@Olesya C side kicked @Large Squirrel over the edge of the slope (refrernce the map behind them), as @MissySki side kicked Rob off the other edge of the slope while @tinymoose bust a daffy move in joy as their leader @Wendy gracefully performs a celebratory Rhule Christy for another well done mission by the Superheroe's of the Ice Coast;)

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tinymoose spying on her scheming husband @Large Squirrel and Rob in the midst of plotting something...

...@Olesya C side kicked @Large Squirrel over the edge of the slope (refrernce the map behind them), as @MissySki side kicked Rob off the other edge of the slope while @tinymoose bust a daffy move in joy as their leader @Wendy gracefully performs a celebratory Rhule Christy for another well done mission by the Superheroe's of the Ice Coast;)
You definitely have us women pegged! We rule! :ogbiggrin:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Could Big Snow be a good place for a early season gathering?
Post thread, poll for preferred dates, and they will come. I'd vote for late July/early August when the Jones is strong.

I'm still amazed that the place actually finally opened. Was starting to seem like the building was getting so old since first built for this it might be condemned as obsolete before it actually opened. It's been what, ten years at least right? I first saw it when we drove past on the way to Boston around 2009 or 2010.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Post thread, poll for preferred dates, and they will come. I'd vote for late July/early August when the Jones is strong.

I'm still amazed that the place actually finally opened. Was starting to seem like the building was getting so old since first built for this it might be condemned as obsolete before it actually opened. It's been what, ten years at least right? I first saw it when we drove past on the way to Boston around 2009 or 2010.
I forget how long it was in construction. There was financing issues, I believe. Maybe @KingGrump knows.

Well, the inside of the mall, and the ski center, don’t look as if it’s been sitting idle for 10 years. Unfortunately Covid has much of the mall closed. The place is enormous. But the ski center seems to have a very steady stream of customers, and they are limiting capacity.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is Wikipedia article on it. Concept was 1994. The ski building was completed by 2008. The 2008 melt down killed it.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Wow. Makes sense.

Have to admit I'm curious about giving it a go. Was thinking weekday to avoid crowds. Preferably between the morning and afternoon rush hour traffic. Guess that's a moot point with capacity limits in place.