• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Big Snow American Dream Indoor Ski Area (SnoGo snow biking)!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today I ventured to the US’s first indoor ski slope, Big Snow, located in the American Dream mall in East Rutherford, NJ, within the Meadowlands sports complex.

Tickets must be purchased online and reservations made for a 2-hr ticket. A 2-hr lift ticket is 34.99. (If one purchases a 6 time pass, then no reservations are required). I decided to do a SnoGo snow bike rental and lesson, which cost $69.99. I wanted to try the bike after seeing them at Winter Park last year and regretting not taking a lesson there.

So, when I pulled into the parking garage for the mall, there were a bunch of people in ski gear with skis and snowboards. It was kind of funny; out of place. But at least I knew I was in the right place. Two escalator rides up, and I was right at the entrance, where my QR code was scanned and my temperature taken:
96C1623D-A57E-4C45-9882-78FC5A4975CD.jpeg
Then, I had to go to another line, where I was then directed to a window, where my QR code was again scanned:
6F5867C4-68B9-4D8D-96FE-456609009290.jpeg
732F2A6D-EF1B-484E-B78F-E48A17C2C4DC.jpeg
Covid protocol was clear on their website and inside. There was lots of signage:
9268955D-4715-41DF-9DAF-668368928AAC.jpeg
I was given a wrist band with an RFID chip and directed through one of four “gondolas:”
8A76E755-F82B-40F0-BB36-50DEA2E5264B.jpeg
Since my SnoGo rental/lesson also included clothing and snowboard boot rental, I didn’t bring my own ski gear. But there were changing rooms (and restrooms) to change into. I was given an insulated jacket and pants and snowboard boots. Helmets are included but I wore my own instead. There are lockers that are activated by the wristband, along with marked spaces to sit, and one-way directional signs through the locker areas:
948DEB84-18BD-4F43-9042-E01A6D81AB62.jpeg
Then you enter the ski area. If you bring your own skis or board, staff takes it and brings it ”outside” for you to pick up while you change:
B8412F82-44F3-49BF-A867-98B6FD8A74A1.jpeg
Just inside the ski area by the magic carpet. My instructor (a 2 hr lesson is included) got me set up on a bike. A waist strap attaches via a locking carabiner on a coiled leash to the bike. There are several rings also linking the carabiner to the leash. They are designed to break in a hard fall, so the bike will detach from they rider. In a soft fall, the bike stays attached. Riding the carpet is easy on the bike. Just position it to line up with the carpet and scoot it forward, the carpet will grab it and off you go. My feet were on 2 platforms with an area above the toe and behind the heel to keep my feet secure.
ECF224A1-D68B-403B-B5A2-18F9C7CF2D7A.jpeg 967E5EDF-5E6C-46C0-AD66-B2B1A7899C35.jpeg E8776FC3-D392-4167-8548-9D64BE055CFC.jpeg
We practiced on some banked turns off the carpet. What a nice little learning area! It’s a bit flat for a SnoGo, but perfect for skiers and boarders just learning. (Big Snow uses terrain-based learning). We then went to the chairlift. Loading is easy: Just push it to the blue line, straddle it with both feet on the snow, sit down on the chair, and pull the bike back towards you. There’s a U-shaped bar on the bike that rests on the seat. It felt very secure and I could let go of the bike while riding the lift, although I’d recommend holding on to the bar with one hand. Unloading involved pushing the bike forward onto the snow, putting one foot in the binding, then pushing off.

This is at the top of the “main” run. There’s only one run and one terrain park (which is accessed via Poma lift).
7271C750-78EE-443B-B232-74549216C34E.jpeg
Turning the bike requires pushing down (hard) on the handlebar on the side you want to turn. You also push down on that same foot, but keep your body upright. The bike will lean into the turn. The trick is to NOT turn the handlebars, then the bike will spin out. I did this once and fell. No big deal, I just laughed. For turn transitions, turn the handlebars to get the front ski facing downhill. Stopping requires just turning the bike up the hill, as on skis. It’s easy to learn, but carving nice turns requires more practice. By the third run I was linking nice turns and even popping a few wheelies. If the slope was longer, it would be easier to master, because then a rhythm could be found. I asked the instructor to take pictures or video, but they didn’t really turn out as she did it while on her SnoGo. (All I got was video of the ceiling, ha). But here’s one screenshot that at least shows me on the bike.
A6006048-D31F-46BB-A3B7-BAA54D9828B9.jpeg
Here is a picture of the ”base area“ and looking across to the main slope. I didn’t get any pictures looking directly up (I was too busy with the bike), nor did I get any pics of the terrain park. Oh well.
B338C149-5E03-447F-AA60-AAA318D13FAA.jpeg 072198AE-6C35-4008-9F48-36924EBB198B.jpeg
After my session was over, I cruised through the retail area. There is a full retail shop, as well as the typical t shirt/mug/hat stuff.
253B9AEF-5565-47CE-9993-4B48AE147280.jpeg
The best thing for sale there is this toy groomer:
8727E5B4-35DA-4F03-9904-57BA92A35DE7.jpeg
I am returning next weekend with some friends: @Olesya C , @Large Squirrel , and @tinymoose . This time I’ll ski with my friends. I think I’ll bring my K2 fatty snowblades (purchased for backyard shenanigans) since they will make the short run seem longer. (I’d recommend skis with a small turn radius or park skis). As for the SnoGo, I’d LOVE to rent one at a larger ski area. The closest area to me is Mountain Creek in NJ. Depending on ticket prices and availability this Covid winter, I’ll try to go. I could definitely see owning a SnoGo if one has foot or knee issues. It’s easy to learn, easy to transport, easy to ride the lift, and easy on the feet and knees! But, I can feel it in my quads afterward!

Perhaps I’ll post more pics when we go next weekend.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The SnoGo bikes are interesting. The only ski bikes I've seen recently were at Hoodoo in Oregon. They don't have the "training wheel" skis on them, so you have to balance on the fore/aft skis.

IMG_2823.JPG

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brighton has become a popular resort for those riding snow bikes. On weekends or busier days, there can be a few dozen out on the mountain, split pretty evenly between the 3-ski and 2-ski models. The Brighton rental shop has a fleet of around 10 or so SnoGos and Ski School has staff to provide lessons. Most of the people I see riding there are on a snow bike they own.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not gonna lie, when I've seen ski bikes on the hill I've had mixed feelings. A handful have made me think it looks fund and a handful have made me scared that it would really hurt if it crashed into me.

It looks like this is a great place to learn to do it right.

I'm a little jealous that you're having fun on snow while I'm dealing with high desert heat.

:yeah::yahoo:

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not gonna lie, when I've seen ski bikes on the hill I've had mixed feelings. A handful have made me think it looks fund and a handful have made me scared that it would really hurt if it crashed into me.

I'm a little jealous that you're having fun on snow while I'm dealing with high desert heat.

I had the same concerns about safety when I first saw them. However, after using them, I’d say that they are as safe or safer than skiing and riding. They are remarkably easy to control and easy to stop/slow down. I also found it easy to look over my shoulder to check cross traffic while riding. When I fell, the bike had spun around before I tipped over. I slid a bit before the skis caught the snow and brought me to a stop.

My instructor at Big Snow, Adele, was excellent and a lot of fun....just a delight to ride with.

Sno-Go is the only snow bike endorsed by PSIA.

As far as you being jealous, I’m jealous that you live in the high desert!
So there. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The SnoGo bikes are interesting. The only ski bikes I've seen recently were at Hoodoo in Oregon. They don't have the "training wheel" skis on them, so you have to balance on the fore/aft skis.

View attachment 110573
I prefer the training wheels. :)

I wonder how they ride the lift with those bikes? I don’t see anything on the bike to rest on the chair. Nor does its appear that the rider is secured to the bike.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Wendy, that was a great trip report. It must have taken lots of time to get those photos organized and posted with your commentary. Thanks!
Consider letting the marketing person for Big Snow know you did this. Maybe you'll get a free ticket.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@hoodoo the bikes have a leash that connects to the chair. Then to the rider when on the snow. There are also a tri ski/stand up bike. Its articulated which looks like big angles could be achieved.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@hoodoo the bikes have a leash that connects to the chair. Then to the rider when on the snow. There are also a tri ski/stand up bike. Its articulated which looks like big angles could be achieved.
Sno-Go also has articulation. It just took some guts from me to really lean it sideways.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Those "bikes" have always looked sketchy AF to me. I can just see people going really out of control on them.

"Yeah lets go rent one of those ski bikes, it will be fun they said, but I have never been on one and heck I cant even ski that well, dont worry honey it is safe and easy, it is just like riding a bike... "

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those "bikes" have always looked sketchy AF to me. I can just see people going really out of control on them.

"Yeah lets go rent one of those ski bikes, it will be fun they said, but I have never been on one and heck I cant even ski that well, dont worry honey it is safe and easy, it is just like riding a bike... "
Well, for the Sno-Go, a person can’t rent one unless they’ve had a lesson first. The rentals are controlled by Sno-Go at each of the participating resorts. I can’t speak for the other snow bikes.

The same can‘t be said for renting skis or snowboards. So the “don’t worry, honey” conversation also occurs with ski and snowboard rentals. When I worked behind the rental counter, I can’t count how many times I heard “Oh I’ve never skied (or boarded) before. But I’ll be okay.”

Here in PA we are the capital of out of control skiers and boarders. :geek:

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well, for the Sno-Go, a person can’t rent one unless they’ve had a lesson first. The rentals are controlled by Sno-Go at each of the participating resorts. I can’t speak for the other snow bikes.

The same can‘t be said for renting skis or snowboards. So the “don’t worry, honey” conversation also occurs with ski and snowboard rentals. When I worked behind the rental counter, I can’t count how many times I heard “Oh I’ve never skied (or boarded) before. But I’ll be okay.”

Here in PA we are the capital of out of control skiers and boarders. :geek:

The thing with the skis you need to deal with the plastic ski boots, snowboards, snowboard specific boots, so its a bit more committing. With the bikes you just get on with any shoes u got (good waterproof boots if you wanna have fun for more than 5 min :roflmao: ) and go. That is awesome for a shopping mall like indoor ski hill. On a big mountain like Vail and the like... not so much:roflmao:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
There's a bike park @ hoodoo. Have skied around the bikes for a few years, no problems. But it's hoodoo sooo.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing with the skis you need to deal with the plastic ski boots, snowboards, snowboard specific boots, so its a bit more committing. With the bikes you just get on with any shoes u got (good waterproof boots if you wanna have fun for more than 5 min :roflmao: ) and go. That is awesome for a shopping mall like indoor ski hill. On a big mountain like Vail and the like... not so much:roflmao:
The Sno-Go really does need a snowboard-boot clad rider. Otherwise, the binding system won’t really secure the foot in well. So you need snowboard boots, not just any shoe. Sno-Go rentals include (and require) snowboard boots and a helmet. Also, there is indeed some level of commitment with that bike. The rider is secured to the bike via a waist belt and carabiner system. The rider needs to understand how that works. Additionally, while using it is easy, it is NOT intuitive and requires instruction. An intuitive approach would be to turn the handlebars to turn the bike. That will result in the bike spinning around and loss of control. While loading and unloading on the lift is easy, it is also NOT intuitive and absolutely requires instruction.

And if you want to feel “commitment,” get going on a bike downhill on a slope with other people. You have to really lean the bike into that turn.

So while the learning curve is shorter than skiing and snowboarding, riding a snow bike still requires knowledge and practice. Also, would you say the same for someone using a sit ski? Because you don’t need “real” ski boots it doesn’t require the same level of commitment? Just because something is easier to learn, or doesn’t require “real” equipment doesn’t mean it’s not as “legit” as skiing. If something is developed that is easier to learn, and allows people who normally aren’t comfortable in ski boots (my husband CANNOT wear ski boots), why disregard it?

Do you recall that very interesting post by @Philpug where he fit a woman who had serious foot-fitting issues in a snowboard boot, then used an exoskeleton-type ski “boot” so she could enjoy skiing again? That was amazing. Will she be able to tackle technical terrain in that setup? Probably not. But it’s getting her on the snow with her family, and that’s what skiing is about. The Sno-Go does the same thing. And.....skilled riders can and do go in some pretty cool places.

You mention Vail as not a good place for a snow bike. Well, here is the state of CO, where you live, and all the mountains where Sno-Go’s are permitted. Vail is one of these mountains.
6973784D-B4B3-468A-9122-01F03A699789.jpeg

My husband sometimes knocks skiing because he feels its increasingly becoming a sport for the wealthy. On principle, he would never ski at Vail. I worry that skiing is becoming a sport for the elite-minded. So when something new opens up access to more people, in a safe way (remember, PSIA endorses the Sno-Go and trains instructors), I think that’s a good thing.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a bike park @ hoodoo. Have skied around the bikes for a few years, no problems. But it's hoodoo sooo.
So something with 2 skis is “legit” while having 3 skis is not? I don’t get your post.

And why is my trip report turning into a debate on snow bikes, from people who’ve never used one? I am a skier, remember. :)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
You misunderstood my post Wendy. Never said anything about being legit. Just we have a bike park and I have never seen a problem with bikes in the snow. Relax.

Sponsor

Staff online