• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky Season Pass Price For 2017-18

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big Sky has some interesting pass pricing for 2017-18
I haven't paid a lot of attention to the pass prices at Big Sky because its off my radar, but some of this pricing seemed creative and competitive.
If I lived there, I'd probably consider the Bronze pass. From Dec 23-March 31, you're restricted to M-Th but that's usually when I ski anyway.
Details here:
PASS DETAILS
Days Included*
Lifts Accessed**
Lone Peak Tram Access
Tram Included
MORE INFORMATION
  • Direct-to-Lift to all of Big Sky Resort's open chair lifts and open terrain from November 23 through December 15, 2017, April 1 through April 15, 2018, and Monday through Thursday all other dates excluding December 23, 2017 through January 1, 2018, and February 16 through 25, 2018. All dates are weather pending.
  • Bronze passholders save $10 off all day window rate lift tickets during blackout dates.
  • Purchase The M.A.X. Pass add-on for only $329. Learn more and purchase online.
  • This pass is valid for FREE Scenic Lift access during the Summer 2017 season. Lone Peak Tram not included. Bike Haul passes can be purchased for $99.
  • Passholders take 50% off winter Zipline tours.
  • Bring your season pass and take 15% off your purchase at select Big Sky Resort owned shopping outlets.
  • Exclusive lodging discounts available, restrictions apply. Contact reservations for details at (800) 548-4486.
  • Season Passes can be picked up for scenic riding during the summer season at Basecamp during normal business hours. The season pass is valid for summer scenic lift rides only and does not include bike haul access for mountain biking. Inquire at Basecamp or Mountain Services for Bike Haul access.
  • Season Passes that have not been picked up in the summer season may be picked up beginning November 14, 2017, in the Mountain Services office in the Mountain Village during normal business hours. Passes can also be picked up in the Madison Base Area Mountain Services office after the Madison Base Area opens.
  • The Bronze Season Pass is non-transferable and non-refundable.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Living Proof try it now. I had to fix it three times for it to be fixed. Stubborn link!!
Thanks for the alert.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never been to big sky but it looks awesome! How important is the tram? I'm gonna assume important....

Also can you buy the passes without tram and just buy tram rides ala carte?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tram exclusion seems kinda douchey - otherwise its not far off fairly standard midweek pass dealio except maybe spinning the unlimited use early and late season differently. Blackout periods are LOOONG compared to other passes

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've never been to big sky but it looks awesome! How important is the tram? I'm gonna assume important....

Also can you buy the passes without tram and just buy tram rides ala carte?

1. Depends on your skiing level - it accesses only advanced terrain, and only at the top of the mountain. You can get to lower parts of that terrain via other lifts, and plenty of other advanced terrain from other lifts. So even a top skier could ski a lot of the mountain without using the tram.

2. I asked this question on Facebook and the answer was "no" - you could either upgrade the pass or buy single day lift tickets. (Though IMO they should either to a la carte or include a 10-ride tram pass or something with each season pass)

FWIW, the tram is about the only lift at Big Sky that ever has lines - I assume this is an effort to reduce those lines somewhat and also to charge the heaviest users of the tram a higher season price.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We got the Gold Plus. Not going to ski the stuff off of the top, so no Tram is no big deal.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
a l m o s t bought a pass but did the max pass instead.
Mapping out a major road trip for '18 starting at BigSky with 5 days and moving on from there.

One of my favorite mountains and love the tram !

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
1. Depends on your skiing level - it accesses only advanced terrain, and only at the top of the mountain. You can get to lower parts of that terrain via other lifts, and plenty of other advanced terrain from other lifts. So even a top skier could ski a lot of the mountain without using the tram.

2. I asked this question on Facebook and the answer was "no" - you could either upgrade the pass or buy single day lift tickets. (Though IMO they should either to a la carte or include a 10-ride tram pass or something with each season pass)

FWIW, the tram is about the only lift at Big Sky that ever has lines - I assume this is an effort to reduce those lines somewhat and also to charge the heaviest users of the tram a higher season price.

I didn't see this thread when I posted a thread talking about this. I may be interpreting your comment incorrectly, but Big Sky isn't charging users of the tram a higher season price. The price is the same as last year. At least when I purchased our early passes last week. What has changed, is the -lite pass purchasers who don't need Tram access are getting charged less.

Last year, I bought 2 early Gold Passes for $1,130 each that by default came with Tram access. That's pretty much what the Gold Pass with Tram access was costing for early purchase until 5/1. My two Gold Pass -Lite passes I just purchased last week cost $895, so I saved 470 bucks. Of course prices have gone up another ~$125 for all passes on 5/1. Anyway, I'm happy.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I purchased the same pass a month ago and I think they were right around $750 a piece in March.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I purchased the same pass a month ago and I think they were right around $750 a piece in March.

Ya, wish I would have bought even earlier like you did, but wasn't sure if we were going to ski there or maybe try somewhere else.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I didn't see this thread when I posted a thread talking about this. I may be interpreting your comment incorrectly, but Big Sky isn't charging users of the tram a higher season price. The price is the same as last year. At least when I purchased our early passes last week. What has changed, is the -lite pass purchasers who don't need Tram access are getting charged less.

I wasn't trying to make a judgment re price, and honestly didn't compare with last year's prices. If pricing is flat from year to year, that's great for skiers! And, adding in the discount available if you forgo tram access is a bonus to those who don't need tram access but aren't willing to pay as much. So it's potentially win-win.

The broader point I was making was simply that by having two tiers of pricing (for a given type of pass) Big Sky can charge some users more than others (relatively, whether or not "more" than last year), and basing it on tram access means they may help to reduce lines there. Or, alternatively, sell more season passes than they otherwise would have because some of the passes are less expensive and appealing to skiers who don't need "all" the terrain. (It's a pretty common business model - give some level of access at a lower price and full access at a higher price, whether iPhone apps, movies, sporting events, etc.).

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wasn't trying to make a judgment re price, and honestly didn't compare with last year's prices. If pricing is flat from year to year, that's great for skiers! And, adding in the discount available if you forgo tram access is a bonus to those who don't need tram access but aren't willing to pay as much. So it's potentially win-win.

The broader point I was making was simply that by having two tiers of pricing (for a given type of pass) Big Sky can charge some users more than others (relatively, whether or not "more" than last year), and basing it on tram access means they may help to reduce lines there. Or, alternatively, sell more season passes than they otherwise would have because some of the passes are less expensive and appealing to skiers who don't need "all" the terrain. (It's a pretty common business model - give some level of access at a lower price and full access at a higher price, whether iPhone apps, movies, sporting events, etc.).

Ya, like I said, I wasn't sure if I might be misinterpreting your post. English isn't always the clearest language :)

I think you are right on with the cheaper pricing enticing more pass purchasers. I think it will also filter up for some folks with a previous silver pass purchaser who didn't use the tram deciding that they want to step up to gold-lite.

As you said, seems like a win-win for Big Sky and many pass purchasers. I'm at least. monetarily in the win column :) although I wouldn't mind having a reason to spend the extra bucks on Tram access. We'll work on being able to ski the whole lower mountain first.