• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I keep imagining the pile of snowboarders this thing would create on the unloading area at my local resorts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was very sceptical of this lift...until I rode and I loved it...other than the loading part...IMHO this is better than a gondola because you can have (up to) 8 on it, in comfort and warmth and you don't have to take you skis (or board) off. It is a win on many levels. I will deal with actually having to hold my poles in my hand verses sitting on them. I do think a 6 would be the ideal compromise and it will be a lot more efficient with loading. Big Sky needs to work on some sort of loading procedures for the lift line, there were too many chairs going up with multiple empty seats simply because of poor...errr no line management.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was very sceptical of this lift...until I rode and I loved it...other than the loading part...IMHO this is better than a gondola because you can have (up to) 8 on it, in comfort and warmth and you don't have to take you skis (or board) off. It is a win on many levels. I will deal with actually having to hold my poles in my hand verses sitting on them. I do think a 6 would be the ideal compromise and it will be a lot more efficient with loading. Big Sky needs to work on some sort of loading procedures for the lift line, there were too many chairs going up with multiple empty seats simply because of poor...errr no line management.

Powder Seeker is pretty much the same but in a 6 pack configuration. I think it had the same issue, but it's just a little simpler for folks to figure out as they shuffle forward. And they don't check your tickets there. IMO that is the real issue - it holds some folks up and not others so things get extra disorganized. They need a better way to check tickets. RFID would help maybe.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
X XXXX XXXX X corrals would be ideal.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since the gathering and a gate breaking they are down to loading six, I’m fairly certain there aren’t any spare parts sitting on the shelf.

As a past ski area manager, getting lifties to engage with the public has always been a difficult task given the personalities, pay scale and lifestyles that are led in mountain towns.

The g public is also trying to grasp the concept as well. The chair before us yesterday had a family, when the father got on the belt he immediately went to a wedge and spun out backwards - good thing there were only 4 as he occupied the other 4 spaces all by himself.

It’s not rocket surgery ! Given time I think both public and staff will figure it out ....... sure hope so anyway.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Powder Seeker is pretty much the same but in a 6 pack configuration. I think it had the same issue, but it's just a little simpler for folks to figure out as they shuffle forward. And they don't check your tickets there. IMO that is the real issue - it holds some folks up and not others so things get extra disorganized. They need a better way to check tickets. RFID would help maybe.

RFID will help.. BS tried fancy scanners years ago. Bleeding Edge? Once burned twice shy? We'll get REFID soon but not quite soon enough.
Both the Powderseeker 6 and the Ramcharger 8 were thought to be massive overkill by most locals but now the public loves them. Evidently "If you build it they will come" works for ski lifts and ballparks. ogsmile

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ this..... and if you make it affordable with an IKON / M collective pass they will come in masses.
Hoping BS 2025 plans are on track with the explorer change over to a Gondi, swiftly could use less traffic

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ this..... and if you make it affordable with an IKON / M collective pass they will come in masses.
Hoping BS 2025 plans are on track with the explorer change over to a Gondi, swiftly could use less traffic
I was surprised that the lines were consistently longer at Swifty than Ramcharger all week.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that seam to be the typical traffic pattern at the base area. Swifty, IMO and obviously that of other skiers gives access to more of the vast choices BS has to offer.

Swiftly to P Seeker, Tram, challenger, headwaters, lone tree S Shooter and many more acres to the right side.
RC8 gives you southern Comfort, thunder wolf and lone moose. It also gives access to Sheady and Dakota via the woods and cow flats but that’s also covered by the tram.

Again, lift ops are the weak link at both base lifts. Lift attendants need to be vocal, perhaps a wee bit animated !
Never have I seen a lift op offer a hand to a fallen or struggling skier or boarder, perhaps it’s mountain policy, afraid or a worker comp injury claim ?
Both lift houses seam to have one hand on stop button at all times, perhaps a good old fashion W. Miller ski pile up at the top and keep them spinning.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, that seam to be the typical traffic pattern at the base area. Swifty, IMO and obviously that of other skiers gives access to more of the vast choices BS has to offer.

Swiftly to P Seeker, Tram, challenger, headwaters, lone tree S Shooter and many more acres to the right side.

RC8 gives you southern Comfort, thunder wolf and lone moose. It also gives access to Sheady and Dakota via the woods and cow flats but that’s also covered by the tram.

Again, lift ops are the weak link at both base lifts. Lift attendants need to be vocal, perhaps a wee bit animated !
Never have I seen a lift op offer a hand to a fallen or struggling skier or boarder, perhaps it’s mountain policy, afraid or a worker comp injury claim ?
Both lift houses seam to have one hand on stop button at all times, perhaps a good old fashion W. Miller ski pile up at the top and keep them spinning.

How do you get from Ramcharger to Shedhorn?!? (Absent a big hike or catching a YC lift or two)

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Since the gathering and a gate breaking they are down to loading six, I’m fairly certain there aren’t any spare parts sitting on the shelf.

There still are no spares but they have "fixed" the gate. Black duct tape and a board. At least you can load all seats now.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
How do you get from Ramcharger to Shedhorn?!? (Absent a big hike or catching a YC lift or two)

Ski down to the base and ride Swifty. The only way to get to Shedhorn, Dakota, Powderseeker, the Tram, Challenger and the Madison base lift system from the base is Swifty. That is why they really need a second lift from the base to the bowl.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the lifty that ran the line at Swifty (Swifty Lifty?) ran a pretty tight ship. I am sold on the Ramcharger 8. Better than a gondola, great footrests, tushy heaters what is not to like. I'll admit getting my poles caught by the safety bare, more than once but it usualy takes a lot of reps for me to get things right. I had concerns about unloading 8 people at the same time but it worked just fine. This chair is easier to unload than the Southern Comfort and the Jumbotron screen at the base is amazing. RFID Please.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had concerns about unloading 8 people at the same time but it worked just fine.
I think part of the easy off-load was you can only go straight or to the left. Fewer options=fewer messes. Plus there is a lot of room at the top so people weren't jamming up.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
There still are no spares but they have "fixed" the gate. Black duct tape and a board. At least you can load all seats now.
That gorilla tape "repair" took a week to get the lift back to 8 people? Two hose clamps and a piece of bamboo or wood should have been in place the day it broke.

The replacement part is likely awaiting a Swiss festival to get the plastic part fabricated.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski down to the base and ride Swifty. The only way to get to Shedhorn, Dakota, Powderseeker, the Tram, Challenger and the Madison base lift system from the base is Swifty. That is why they really need a second lift from the base to the bowl.
Explorer gets you up there too

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Explorer gets you up there too

You can get to Challenger (and if you can ski the Challenger black runs terrain the Madison lifts, and the double black runs Powderseeker and the Tram) and the base lifts from Explorer but not Dakota and Shedhorn. For the General Skiing public Swifty is the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online