• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky question — parking at Madison base?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
We’re thinking we may dedicate one day to Moonlight Basin side on our trip to Big Sky.

Would it makes more sense to drive directly to Madison base rather than drive up to Big Sky base than taking multiple lifts to get to Moonlight Basin?

Are there usually sufficient parking at Madison base?

And will starting at Moonlight limiting our options in skiing to only that side of the resort?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Parking at Madison is better than at the Huntley side, but it's smaller so maybe it fills out early some days. We were always out early so it was never an issue for us. You can ski the whole place from either base.

You can ski Yellowstone Club too. I figured they would arrest you for trespassing, but the Huntley concierge told us that they check your ID and make you pay $70 for a lift ride back to Big Sky. You should try that and report back.

dm

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We’re thinking we may dedicate one day to Moonlight Basin side on our trip to Big Sky.

Would it makes more sense to drive directly to Madison base rather than drive up to Big Sky base than taking multiple lifts to get to Moonlight Basin?

Are there usually sufficient parking at Madison base?

And will starting at Moonlight limiting our options in skiing to only that side of the resort?

I usually park on the Madison side and ski the Big Sky side (too cold on the Madison side for this wimp) and have never seen that lot full. It is worth the drive if you want to spend the day over there. Saves long traverses both ways. It isn't difficult to get from one side to the other, just time consuming. From Madison to Mountain Village you just go up Six Shooter and take Fast Lane (Mostly a cat track) to the village. Getting back you have to go up Swifty, take Jaywalk (another cat track) to Blue Moon to the Iron Horse lift (a four person fixed), then down Cinnibar to the Madison Base.

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You can ski Yellowstone Club too. I figured they would arrest you for trespassing, but the Huntley concierge told us that they check your ID and make you pay $70 for a lift ride back to Big Sky. You should try that and report back.
If you give me $70, I’ll follow your instructions to take the chance of being arrested and to get you a report back.

In the best case, you get your report for $70. In the worst case, you lost your $70 and don’t get a report.