• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky private instruction at XMAS

redfear

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My family and friends have been going to Big Sky for 10 years, but this year we would like a private instructor to ski with us and give us technical advice. Our group has 4 levels of skiers:

1) Dads who ski everything, including bowls, except double diamonds
2) Teenagers who ski blues consistently, but poorly :)
3) Moms who challenge themselves occasionally on blues
4) Kids who like to ski greens and refuse to ski blues

I know it would be expensive, but is it possible to hire a single, great ski instructor for 4 straight days who would be happy to work with all these groups? The idea is for the instructor to ski with one group in the morning, then switch to another group after lunch, etc. It would be super convenient to have the same instructor just booked for 4 straight days. Also, I'm kind of hoping this person could meet us at our house in the morning each day (we're staying on the slopes) and ski with whichever group is ready to get some help that day/morning, etc. But, I'm worried that an instructor who is skilled enough to teach our most advanced group would probably be pretty bored with teaching kids as well.

What do you think? Feel free to tell me if this is a dumb idea, or if there is anyone you recommend. Thanks!

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think this is a tremendous idea that could really catalyze great improvement in everyone’s skiing and might just turn the youngsters into life-long enthusiasts. It’s a very European model that works. You don’t say when you’d plan to do this but assuming it’s not during the very busiest time of the season I’d be surprised if every decent instructor is entirely booked this early. Put it this way, if you were coming to Park City with sufficient advance notice, I guarantee I could set you up with one of several tremendous instructors all of whom would be delighted to have such a gig. I can’t speak for Big Sky but I’d be amazed if the same wouldn’t be possible there.

TS
R

redfear

Skier
Thank you @HardDaysNight for validating the idea! @mdf and @Sibhusky might be correct (we might be too late), but I truly hope we're not and that we find a way to make this happen!

We're looking at 4 days between Dec 22-26.

TS
R

redfear

Skier
@HardDaysNight Is the best route to call the official Big Sky (Mountain Village) ski school and ask about private lessons?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the Big Sky Gathering a few years ago (EpicSki days) there was a ski instructor that joined us for a bit and was even a group guide, I think. I don't remember her name but @Tricia might.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Skisailor is an instructor at Big Sky. She posted quite a bit of local info here leading up to the Gathering, as well as participating in some technical discussions.
I believe she said Ursula Howland was one of her trainers.
I didn't get a chance to ski with her.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Everyone here will send you to Ursula Howland. Whether she's open at this point is doubtful. I don't know her alias anymore. Is she on?

Used to be Little Bear on Epic.

I had Ursula for a day last year. She was amazing.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@HardDaysNight Is the best route to call the official Big Sky (Mountain Village) ski school and ask about private lessons?
Yes, I think that’d be a good start. Lay out your plan as above and if you have a few names suggested by people here who know Big Sky (I don’t) that would let them know the level you’re looking for.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
@Skisailor is an instructor at Big Sky. She posted quite a bit of local info here leading up to the Gathering, as well as participating in some technical discussions.

Yes. Ursula Howland IS amazing and anyone here who has plans to ski and take lessons at Big Sky would do well to try to get a private with her, IMHO. Her blend of American and German perspectives on skiing is truly unique. As the ski school director at Red Lodge once said: “everyone who skis with her is moved and changed by the experience.” She is the crown jewel of the Big Sky Ski School.

I am so fortunate to be able to say that Ursula is my mentor. I teach using her methods and approach. Our joke around the ski school is that I am ”Ursulite”.

Ursula books up early. If you can’t get her during your stay and you are interested in being exposed to her technique - which places a very high priority on efficiency - you can um . . . .book with me. ;) And I’ll do my best to fill her shoes . . er . . boots. :)

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The dates you are asking about,4 days between Dec 22-26 are actually fairly quiet at Big Sky (I am an optimist). The crowds arrive on the 27th typically. Ursula is a fabulous choice, but there are other great instructors and the group skills span a wide range.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
With regard to your logistics - i.e. one instructor who could work with different skier levels at different times and pick you up where you’re staying - that should not be a problem. There are lots of instructors at Big Sky who could do that.. The good ones love to teach all levels so no worries there!

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
With regard to your logistics - i.e. one instructor who could work with different skier levels at different times and pick you up where you’re staying - that should not be a problem. There are lots of instructors at Big Sky who could do that.. The good ones love to teach all levels so no worries there!

Yeah, pretty sure any instructor would be delighted to have a 4-day gig of full-day lessons.

My experience is they can teach beginners just as much as experts - really that's kind of what you have to be able to do as an instructor.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This would be an excellent choice!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm very surprised no one has suggested breaking up the group given the range of abilities.
If I were the SS supervisor or instructor chosen I would question the private+3 other than a family group and what level am I teaching to anyway ?

Obviously more $$$ but IMHO each member of the group would get so much more from the lesson if truly a private
Perhaps dad,skier 1 alone and skiers 2,3 and 4 - sound like they are a better match or just sign everyone up for the afternoon group lesson

LOTS of great instructors here. Regardless of your decision, look us up for a run or two.