• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky-Grand Targhee-Jackson Hole for New Years?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dreaming of ski trips, seeing the kids have a longer Christmas break this year. Looking at maps, my Ikon base pass and family vacation guide http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm,

I came up with this plan:

These resorts are less busy than many, so even during the Christmas - New Years break they shouldn’t be crazy.

From Duluth, Big Sky is not to horrible of a drive, and the 11 day break makes it more doable. Ski there Sunday afternoon and Monday.
Drive to Jackson Hole, ski there Christmas Eve. Head to Grand Targhee, ski there Thursday-Monday. Good snow record for this time of year. Drive home New Year’s Eve and -day.

2 questions:
Sound like a good plan to you?
How do I convince my wife?

Last edited:

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a fun trip, but you will need at least 2 good drivers and a good winter vehicle. Since you are from Duluth you should be good to go there. Be prepared for bad weather. I have gotten stuck in North Dakota twice when I-94 closed due to blowing snow when I was in college. Seems a bit more like a college student winter break trip.

Regarding convincing your wife, by the way you ask the question I assume she would not be as excited as you are about this kind of ski trip. Recommend you plan a relaxing trip where she wants to go first, that her trip is at least 2 weeks long and twice as expensive. Then bring up your ski trip idea.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a fun trip, but you will need at least 2 good drivers and a good winter vehicle. Since you are from Duluth you should be good to go there. Be prepared for bad weather. I have gotten stuck in North Dakota twice when I-94 closed due to blowing snow when I was in college. Seems a bit more like a college student winter break trip.

Regarding convincing your wife, by the way you ask the question I assume she would not be as excited as you are about this kind of ski trip. Recommend you plan a relaxing trip where she wants to go first, that her trip is at least 2 weeks long and twice as expensive. Then bring up your ski trip idea.
Well, before I even mentioned anything like this my wife told me that it would be tight getting much time off for her this winter, so I think this idea of mine is sunk before it took off.. :(

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about adding in a day in Yellowstone NP either on snow machines or snow coach as an enticement for your spouse?

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Even if the conditions aren't great you'll have a great time. The entire area is beautifully scenic.
It's a simple equation to give your wife. Just ask if she wants to come to check out some big mountains out west or if she wants to stay home.

James

Out There
Instructor
What about adding in a day in Yellowstone NP either on snow machines or snow coach as an enticement for your spouse?
Everyone seems to love that. As long ad you’re ok with being outside for several hours.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
1. Could be hit or miss with snow. My now-wife and I went to Jackson two Christmases ago and did some backcountry, then spent a day at Targhee on the way home. I was too cheap to pay for a JHMR ticket with most of the steep stuff closed.

2. Lodging in Jackson is cheaper than most big-name places around Christmas, at least when we were looking, which is a plus.

3. If you can, have some flexibility in your travel dates. It would suck to miss a powder day because you were driving through it to the next destination, and all of those drives (except Jackson -> Targhee) have serious weather-suck potential. We returned from Jackson to Red Lodge via Targhee, and between skiing a while and spending some time waiting for Teton Pass to open (they were doing avy work), plus some fairly miserable driving between West Yellowstone and Gallatin Gateway, the last couple hours were on the miserable side. With clear weather, that same day would've been long but not particularly bad (or mentally draining).

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She’s a skier. We could go snowmobiling here at home.
xC skiing in Yellowstone would be cool though.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Could be hit or miss with snow. My now-wife and I went to Jackson two Christmases ago and did some backcountry, then spent a day at Targhee on the way home. I was too cheap to pay for a JHMR ticket with most of the steep stuff closed.).

According to bestsnow, Targhee is the only resort in the US with a 100% open history for Newyears.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
According to bestsnow, Targhee is the only resort in the US with a 100% open history for Newyears.

Fair enough. I don't know Targhee or JHMR well enough to comment, but I know that many places, Big Sky included, ski very differently when just "open" on snowmaking trails (and perhaps a subset of those) versus midwinter conditions. While the scenery is incredible, I'd be pretty disappointed to travel to somewhere like Big Sky just to ski a WROD. YMMV, of course, and if you're limited to school vacation windows, sometimes you have to just roll the dice.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’d expect every Resort to be busy 12/21-1/5. It’s the busiest time of the year. Big Sky and Jackson May be a little less crowded but don’t expect them to look like January or April.
As for snow, I’ve skied BS every New Years for at least a decade and always enjoyed the skiing. Weather is unpredictable. The conditions may not not be midwinter snow depth but they’re usually good.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As mentioned above, this ain’t happening for me, but maybe it’s a spark of an idea for some other family to put their kids vacation to good use.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bah humbug @Slim !
Onward with the plans and just fly the wife in our out depending on the itinerary and / or shorten it up a few days.
FYI - BS will be busy, the word is out !
We opened last year and the year before with amazing coverage with the tram in play well before the holidays.
New Years here is great here in town and on the mountain. Hope to see you on the hill !

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
To wife (only works sometimes) " I'm going- you coming?
I would not worry too much about GT or JH snow that time of year. BS can be iffy but should have some. RLMR can be a suprise for early snow some years- better than th BS -Bridger area. Pics are of GT 2-3 weeks prior to opening in November 5 and 7 respectively, 2017- gets a lot of skinners and hikers.
Targee 11-5-17.JPG

101_0576.JPG

Sponsor