• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Unpiste and @SkiDB found those giant snow fences you can see from the road as you drive up in the morning. They are fairly near Peru/Bolivia.
In hindsight I wish I had made a detour to get closer to one .. they are very beefy -- not your typical snow fence.
P1070301.JPG
P1070300.JPG

P1070302.JPG

edit: Hmmmm... I bet there was good snow in between the rows of fence.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@Unpiste and @SkiDB found those giant snow fences you can see from the road as you drive up in the morning. They are fairly near Peru/Bolivia.
In hindsight I wish I had made a detour to get closer to one .. they are very beefy -- not your typical snow fence.

I did a boat load of demos of Friday- tried to take them out on the same run each time -the Blue Room to remove terrain as a factor.
Then oops I did a wrong turn and took a demo ski down Peru (no choice as Shady Chute was roped off) by mistake near that wall !! :eek: Luckly it was an excellent ski (Blizzard Rustler 10) and I had no trouble. Didn't even hit any rocks as I was super careful ! I just remember the previous day an instructor was at the top of Peru who told @JohnL , @mdf and I not to do Peru "If we had not done it before you better not do it"

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
160047b8-fcd3-42b2-a437-b0b30202f698-jpeg.66788

...ummmm....we took a pack of English muffins to help them out...
We took a pack of English muffins too!

I hated leaving yesterday morning with all of the fresh snow falling and after having a great time skiing with my fellow Pugs. It was my first Gathering but it won't be my last. I promised my son a trip out west next winter so unless I can do 2 trips that one will take priority. He's not ready for Jackson and if I brought him I doubt we'd make it beyond the après Vous or Casper chairs. We're going to come back to Big Sky because I know he'll love it. One or both of us will be at the Aspen Gathering.

It was great meeting everyone and putting some faces to screen names. It's not easy for an introvert to feel comfortable around new people but you all made it easy.
It was really fun skiing with you.
See you at Jackson Hole.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 67307
View attachment 67308

View attachment 67309

Those fences are on Wardance and were installed because the home owners on Low Dog Rd were concerned about avalanche danger once the large trees were removed from the run.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
My 2 friends and I had great time at the gathering.

It was nice to see some old faces and meet few new friends at Big Sky. Thanks to @KingGrump, @Near Nyquist for the dinner invitation. Too bad I did not get to ski with either of you this trip. There is always next year.
Thanks to Scott for the ride to Grump house.

Thanks to @dbostedo for the tour one afternoon. It was nice to ski with @Pumba and @theNitza the very first time.

@theNitza - I think (but not sure) we went to the Grump house for dinner the same night? If yes, sorry I did not recognize you. Its hard to figure who’s who without helmet / goggles….

Very happy to see Lucia (@Tony 's wife), @Weegie McAdams and got to ski with you guys again. Thanks @Flying Dutchess for the sweep and @bigguyski for the lead…. I am a slow poke and thanks for your patience……

Last but not least, big thank you @Gary Stolt for the lodging deal. My friends and I were able to take advantage of this and we really enjoyed our stay at The Lodge. Location was convenient, we had a large corner room with nice view of the mountain.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mmmm ... with tawny orange marmalade ...

I was Paddington in a previous life.

Wait. Maybe it's this life.

Whatever. Don't let it give you paws.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
:D
I guess you won the grand prize in the raffle, :golfclap:
Second prize was 2 packs of muffin.

What happened to all the bread in the end? Did you guys make a big dent? Is it on the road to Canada with you!? Please send us updates! ...I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one concerned :D....

Thanks as always to @KingGrump and crew for your insane generosity and humor. I’m bummed not to have skied more with you guys.... There is a very slim chance I can make it to Tahoe in mid to late April. If so, see you then?

Also, does Andrew Grump Have an account here? I’d like to see if we can ski together at one of the northeast ikon places one weekend.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What happened to all the bread in the end? Did you guys make a big dent? Is it on the road to Canada with you!? Please send us updates! ...I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one concerned :D....

Does Canada have a limit on muffin imports?

The border patrol impounded our car and took all the muffins. They were mumbling something about having a party and making Eggs Benedict. :D

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many wheat fields and chicken/pig farms were harmed for the making of this gathering.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Does Canada have a limit on muffin imports?

The border patrol impounded our car and took all the muffins. They were mumbling something about having a party and making Eggs Benedict. :D
I'm surprised Queen Grump didn't offer you up to cook for them.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awesome gathering and great time seeing everyone. Even better time skiing with those I had the opportunity to make some turns with. I have a few good photos to upload. Here's a start. A preview of "The Next Generation of Egans Are Ready for Launch".

I had the incredible opportunity to join the last day of the Dan Egan Steeps Camp and get an "early" run through the Big Couloir. I'm looking to pull notes, photos and videos together for a longer piece looking at the next generation of extreme skiers following their Dad's and Uncle's footsteps.

I was a little "Chris Farley" with Dan when meeting at the ski school. Remember that time you skied that line in Jackson? That was so cool...
MattandDan.jpg

My "grouping" for the morning. @MattSmith, Johnny Egan, Will Egan, Tristin (from the camp)
firstSkiGrouping.jpg

My new friend in the Lone Peak Patrol Station
LonePeakPup.jpg

Following Instructor Ben, Johnny, and Will into the abyss
TopAbyss.jpg

Ready for launch
MattReadyForLaunch.jpg

Dropped in. Tough viz. We were instructed to ski to Ben at the dogleg, check up and then ski to the base. My heart was pounding and legs were jelly.
MattInCoulior.jpg

Tram house from the dogleg
TramHousefromDogleg.jpg

A really incredible experience. Some of the the more challenging skiing I've done to that point.

I hit Bridger on Monday. Wow - some good pics coming...
Steamboat Springs tomorrow!

Sponsor

Staff online