• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Gathering dates - 2/24/19 through 3/2/19

I've had a few people contact me to ask about lodging for the Big Sky Gathering.
I'm not super savvy but thought it would be a good idea to get some ideas from people in the know.

From another thread.
I have never skied at Whitefish. The Huntley is a "skate" to the main lifts and ski back. There are two parts to the Huntley, Shoshone and the "old part". While serviceable the old part is dowdy and tired. The bar at the Huntley has some good music on weekends and the Huntley breakfast has renown locally.

Big Sky is spread out with several clusters: base village and two in the meadow with other venues dotted in the canyon. There are things for adventurous people to do like Yellowstone NP, horse back riding (all winter), dog sledding, zip lines, snow machines and snow shoeing. The 320 Guest Ranch has ski joring on certain weekends which is fun to watch and some of the locals pairs do well nationally. There are yurt and sleigh ride dinners which are a lot of fun. Some people fish the Gallatin in the winter.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just as a follow up:
One person who asked me about lodging will be traveling with someone who doesn't ski, will likely be working from the base, and doesn't get around very well, so that should be one (of many) considerations.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
One person who asked me about lodging will be traveling with someone who doesn't ski, will likely be working from the base, and doesn't get around very well, so that should be one (of many) considerations.

At Big Sky the lodging options that don't require a lot of walking are: the Summit Hotel, Shoshone and Huntley. The Huntley and Shoshone inter connect so it is easier walking than on snowy pavement. The Summit Hotel has a bar and restaurant and the Huntley/Shoshone share a bar and restaurant. Be aware that some of the units in Arrow Head Village are "cliff hangers" requiring either strong legs or a lift on an ATV.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We stayed at Bucks T during the last Gathering. It was good for that trip with some amenities that we enjoyed like free breakfast, lift tickets to Big Sky, etc, but I think we're looking for something on site this time around.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We stayed at Bucks T during the last Gathering. It was good for that trip with some amenities that we enjoyed like free breakfast, lift tickets to Big Sky, etc, but I think we're looking for something on site this time around.
So are we. I will likely book it this week.......

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lodging at Big Sky is getting booked up. The Huntley is booked solid which is a shame. It's the most affordable place right there at the base. I booked us at the Lodge at Big Sky for 6 nights. :yahoo::beercheer:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A few years ago for the Diva event, there was a cancelation, and I was able to get into a shared condo. Anyway, it was just past the end of the parking lot. On a better year, it would have been ski-in (not ski-out). But the walk was short enough that I chose to walk it rather than wait for the bus. (Note: I came from Colorado Summit County altitudes, so I was likely more comfortable doing this than people from sea level would be.)

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I've looked at VRBO. Most houses that will house 10 or more of us have 2 master BRs and 2 bunk rooms where there are 3 or even 4 sets of bunk beds. Cost will be about $80/night/person if all stay for the full gathering. Some properties are significantly more.
I agree with Jeff that people are starting to book as the options are less now than a couple weeks ago.
Probably need to start a roll call thread.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've looked at VRBO. Most houses that will house 10 or more of us have 2 master BRs and 2 bunk rooms where there are 3 or even 4 sets of bunk beds. Cost will be about $80/night/person if all stay for the full gathering. Some properties are significantly more.
I agree with Jeff that people are starting to book as the options are less now than a couple weeks ago.
Probably need to start a roll call thread.
Agreed, Labor Day is a week away. A roll call thread in the next couple weeks would probably be a good idea. I was looking at Big Sky bookings for the past couple months and they’ve been disappearing at a steady pace.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big Sky is getting ready for us as we type.
Posted today, August 27th of current camera on Lone Peak

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are everyone's thoughts on Staying in the meadow vs the Mountain village? We'll have a car but man, walking to the lifts sure sounds nice. Or course the Meadow area is way way less expensive and you can get a condo with a hot tub a lot easier, which my wife and kids would love...

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@focker - the meadows ain’t what it used to be, it’s really come alive and only 6 miles from the lifts.
Its growing by leaps and bounds with way more food, drink and lodging than up at the resort. Last night out we did happy hour, great dinner and a movie with drinks - entire night was $ 60 and we walked everywhere.

We haven’t personally found parking an issue but then again we park away from the main base area. There is always the skyline bus to drop you slope side if you don’t want to drive from the meadows.
Then again staying at the summit with Huntley breakfast and the ski valet taking you skis of choice to the lift for you is something everyone should experience at least once.

Hot tub ? The summits pool at hot tub temp is the biggest I’ve ever experienced.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
@focker - the meadows ain’t what it used to be, it’s really come alive and only 6 miles from the lifts.
Its growing by leaps and bounds with way more food, drink and lodging than up at the resort. Last night out we did happy hour, great dinner and a movie with drinks - entire night was $ 60 and we walked everywhere.

We haven’t personally found parking an issue but then again we park away from the main base area. There is always the skyline bus to drop you slope side if you don’t want to drive from the meadows.
Then again staying at the summit with Huntley breakfast and the ski valet taking you skis of choice to the lift for you is something everyone should experience at least once.

Hot tub ? The summits pool at hot tub temp is the biggest I’ve ever experienced.

I figured if we have our car and with their bus system staying in the meadows wouldn't be that bad, especially considering how much more value you can get for your money. Another thing I noticed is a lot of condo up in the mountain village still aren't really all that close to the actual lifts or ski runs and would require a long walk or use of the buses they have. If you have to use a bus to get to the lift, I'll just stay down in the meadows.

Do people boot up in the Meadows and just got on the bus down there all geared up ready to ski? That's how I'd like to do it if possible.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What are everyone's thoughts on Staying in the meadow vs the Mountain village? We'll have a car but man, walking to the lifts sure sounds nice. Or course the Meadow area is way way less expensive and you can get a condo with a hot tub a lot easier, which my wife and kids would love...

From what I recall, the parking lot had plenty of space, and it was a tossup whether I would choose to walk vs waiting for the bus.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I figured if we have our car and with their bus system staying in the meadows wouldn't be that bad, especially considering how much more value you can get for your money. Another thing I noticed is a lot of condo up in the mountain village still aren't really all that close to the actual lifts or ski runs and would require a long walk or use of the buses they have.

Yes some of the mountain village condos don't have very direct access. Beware of "real estate access trails and lifts" on the lower mountain that feature a maze of flat trails and in some cases multiple fixed grip chair rides or a poma to get to the base areas. In addition to the "mountain village" a mile further up the Spur Road is Madison Base at Moonlight Basin which typically has closer parking to the trails and what passes for a lodge. Depending on your strategy for a ski day the Madison Base makes accessing Headwaters or north facing trees faster.

I have never taken the Big Sky bus system so can't comment.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For people who are sensitive to elevation sickness issues, the Meadow is what, 6000’ elevation, and the mountain base village is listed at 7200’ elevation. For a lowlander such as myself that can be a big difference, it’s often an adjustment just to sleep at 6000’.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@David Chaus , I believe your elevation are real close for both the meadows and mountain village.

@focker, if your basing accommodations on the skyline bus availablity I would reference the route, times and stop locations before pulling the trigger.

@Talisman, is spot on with with the parking recommendations.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some sites are saying just stay in Bozeman and ski both Big Sky and Bridger from there. Thoughts on that? We want to potentially do a few days at each place. How big of a pain in the ass is the drive from Bozeman to Big Sky? A biggest PITA than using two different condos during our vacation (ie: Spend 3 night in Bozeman and then 2 more at BS)

Sponsor