• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some sites are saying just stay in Bozeman and ski both Big Sky and Bridger from there. Thoughts on that?

My thoughts on that? Ugh.

But I'm very loathe to drive much on vacation without a good reason. I'd much prefer to figure out how to stay near Bridger for those days, then move to Big Sky. It's almost an hour drive between Bozeman and Big Sky, which is just too much for me to do daily.

The Gathering schedule hasn't been released yet, but I'm guessing there won't be more than a day (probably a bonus day at the start or finish - though that's a guess) where folks will be skiing Bridger.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Yes some of the mountain village condos don't have very direct access. Beware of "real estate access trails and lifts" on the lower mountain that feature a maze of flat trails and in some cases multiple fixed grip chair rides or a poma to get to the base areas. In addition to the "mountain village" a mile further up the Spur Road is Madison Base at Moonlight Basin which typically has closer parking to the trails and what passes for a lodge. Depending on your strategy for a ski day the Madison Base makes accessing Headwaters or north facing trees faster.

I have never taken the Big Sky bus system so can't comment.

After having accidentally ending up on Bozeman Train once, I can attest to what a horrible experience it is trying to get back to the base area from those real estate access trails. A lot of poling.

I live in Ennis and drive to the area up a private road from the Madison Valley that dumps out at Moonlight. Most of the time I park at Madison base. It is an easy walk to to the base (I hate the wait for the bus at the Big Sky base,not really an issue in the morning but can be long in the afternoon). We gear up inside and leave our bags in the lodge so our stuff is warm when we finish skiing. You go up the Six Shooter and and down Fastlane for a quick warm up run to the main base area. In the afternoon I usually take Swifty and then maybe Powder-Seeker, ski the cat track to Iron Horse and maybe do a couple of runs off of it before taking Elkhorn/Cinnabar back to Madison Base.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Some sites are saying just stay in Bozeman and ski both Big Sky and Bridger from there. Thoughts on that? We want to potentially do a few days at each place. How big of a pain in the ass is the drive from Bozeman to Big Sky? A biggest PITA than using two different condos during our vacation (ie: Spend 3 night in Bozeman and then 2 more at BS)

Plusses and minuses, Plusses are you don't have to move and Bozeman has more restaurants than Big Sky. Minuses are the drive through the canyon can be horrible. The road conditions can be very sketchy, you have people in Subarus driving 30 mph and not using the pullouts and big rigs driving 70 and passing where a motorcycle shouldn't pass. No wonder it is one of the most dangerous roads in the state. And given that all of the post ski activities will be in BS, I wouldn't even think of staying in BZN.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Minuses are the drive through the canyon can be horrible. The road conditions can be very sketchy, you have people in cars with MN plates driving 30 mph and not using the pullouts and big rigs driving 70 and passing where a motorcycle shouldn't pass.

The canyon is actually a nice drive in day light with no traffic. The issue with the canyon is the conga line of Karst buses, cars and trucks from BZN to BS in the morning and north in the late afternoon at commute times. It is a trade off: hour drive each way but BZN has more and better restaurants with lower prices than BS. You will also be driving in a line of traffic to Bridger Bowl as the popularity of that ski area his increased with tight parking common on weekends and powder days.

I wonder if a few people stayed in Ennis if they could hitch a ride up the Jack Creek road?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I wonder if a few people stayed in Ennis if they could hitch a ride up the Jack Creek road?

I could certainly take two or three people with me. I don't know of anyone else that liven in Madison County that is on the forum.

As an FYI for those that aren't local Jacks Creek road is private (owned by Moonlight Basin) that connects the Madison Valley (Ennis) to Moonlight Basin. It saves well over an hour of driving time traveling between Ennis and BS. It is available to Madison County residents that have a BS season pass and have a road access pass. There is a gate at both ends of the road and you need the access code to enter and exit. It is also patrolled by MB and I am stopped frequently on the way up to make sure I really have proper access to the road.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plusses and minuses, Plusses are you don't have to move and Bozeman has more restaurants than Big Sky. Minuses are the drive through the canyon can be horrible. The road conditions can be very sketchy, you have people in Subarus driving 30 mph and not using the pullouts and big rigs driving 70 and passing where a motorcycle shouldn't pass. No wonder it is one of the most dangerous roads in the state. And given that all of the post ski activities will be in BS, I wouldn't even think of staying in BZN.

Yeah unfortunately we'll be in Big Sky just after the gathering as that's when my kids spring break is. Please don't kick me out of this thread lol. I need the info!! :D

bigguyski

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

Huntley lodge booked for the gathering. If you make the arrival day Sunday instead of Saturday there is still room. Is the breakfast buffet they offer good value? I will be driving from Edmonton, so I plan to stay in Bozeman on Friday Feb 22 and Saturday Feb 23 then down to Big Sky on Sunday morning. I will be skiing Bridger Bowl on Sat Feb 23.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
parking question - is it free or do you pay? Do you pay more to park closer? I heard a recommendation for Madison parking lot. All I found on Big Sky site was a page on season parking passes (well over $1K).

Checking out VRBO and BookBigSky so far. Looks like lots of places available, but very pricy slopeside. I stayed in one of the remote houses back in 2010, and once we figured out the fastest route to ski in, it was acceptable, no climbing but a bit of vigorous poling. It was definitely maze like. The ski out part wasn't bad at all, a lift was close by.

It 's those ski magazines I got in the mail this week. Getting stoked!

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
parking question - is it free or do you pay? Do you pay more to park closer? I heard a recommendation for Madison parking lot. All I found on Big Sky site was a page on season parking passes (well over $1K).

Checking out VRBO and BookBigSky so far. Looks like lots of places available, but very pricy slopeside. I stayed in one of the remote houses back in 2010, and once we figured out the fastest route to ski in, it was acceptable, no climbing but a bit of vigorous poling. It was definitely maze like. The ski out part wasn't bad at all, a lift was close by.

It 's those ski magazines I got in the mail this week. Getting stoked!

The parking for skiing is free at both base areas. The difference being the Madison lot is fairly small and a very easy walk to that base area (not more than a couple of minutes). Depending on how close you park, you can walk from the lot to the main base area but can be a long walk. There are trams that run very frequently in the morning between the lots to the base area and less frequently in the afternoon.

Parking at the various accommodations varies per accommodation.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Just two other pieces of info:

Most people who have the option to ski Big Sky will completely avoid Bridger Bowl on weekends. As Bozeman has grown over the past decade, and with the locals' and children's programs at Bridger, it is typically a total mob scene on weekends. Add that to the slow lifts and it can be alot of line waiting. If you have the flexibility and want to ski Bridger - shoot for a weekday!

Also - as someone who commutes from Bozeman to Big Sky literally every day of the season, I would not want to do it if I were on vacation for the many reasons stated above. One that hasn't been mentioned, and, IMHO, is one of the main reasons why there are so many accidents, is because the canyon road has continual changing areas of sun - shade - sun - shade. Mornings are better because conditions are more consistent. Even if it's a bad storm, you just get in "the train" and everyone heads up there at 30-35 mph. But on the way home, areas of intense sun may have melted (even with below freezing temps), so traffic speeds up, then they hit a shady curve that's still icy slick and . . . . . accident. So be careful and be aware of the shade. Use the frequent pull outs if you need to go slow.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A week is not enough time to ski Big Sky. I am sure Bridger is great in it's own right but there is no need to try and ski both.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lodging at Big Sky is getting booked up. The Huntley is booked solid which is a shame. It's the most affordable place right there at the base. I booked us at the Lodge at Big Sky for 6 nights. :yahoo::beercheer:

Thanks for mentioning the Lodge at Big Sky. I just booked 4 nights there after finding other options booked up.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hello all,

Huntley lodge booked for the gathering. If you make the arrival day Sunday instead of Saturday there is still room. Is the breakfast buffet they offer good value?

Didn't realize you could get it a la carte (thought it was just included in all rooms), but yeah - pretty good food. Lots of options. Omelet station, plus eggs, bacon/sausage, french toast/waffles/pancakes (usually one or two of those each day), biscuits/gravy, bagels, fruit (sliced melon, berries, oranges, apples, bananas), coffee, juice. Great way to fill up in the morning and avoid the need for a large lunch.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn't realize you could get it a la carte (thought it was just included in all rooms), but yeah - pretty good food. Lots of options. Omelet station, plus eggs, bacon/sausage, french toast/waffles/pancakes (usually one or two of those each day), biscuits/gravy, bagels, fruit (sliced melon, berries, oranges, apples, bananas), coffee, juice. Great way to fill up in the morning and avoid the need for a large lunch.
You must've got lucky because I just tried it again a few different ways and couldn't get a room........

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
A week is not enough time to ski Big Sky. I am sure Bridger is great in it's own right but there is no need to try and ski both.

Well Bridger is half price for my full family so it's definitely something we want to check out. We're thinking we're going to do 1 day at Bridger and either 2 or 3 at Big Sky. If I'm that close to Bridger and don't ski it that just seems like a waste.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Well Bridger is half price for my full family so it's definitely something we want to check out. We're thinking we're going to do 1 day at Bridger and either 2 or 3 at Big Sky. If I'm that close to Bridger and don't ski it that just seems like a waste.

Bridger is a wonderful place to ski as long as you don't go on a weekend or powder day and well worth a day if you are out here.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bridger is a wonderful place to ski as long as you don't go on a weekend or powder day and well worth a day if you are out here.

We ski a 275' vert hill 25 times a year. Bridger is going to be amazing lol. We'll go there first then to Big Sky. Can't wait.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
RE: The question about breakfast at the Huntley. Only been there the one week at the last Gathering - 2013. The hotel was pretty (completely?) full and if you didn't time it right there was a hellacious line just to get into the dining room in the morning. Food was good but not worth that if you're trying to get out on the hill.

Sponsor

Staff online