• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky Gathering 030218 273 ACR Conv Pano.JPG
View of Lone Peak from my morning bus stop on my last day of the Gathering

I thought I'd just start this trip report with maybe the most important part...

During this year's Gathering, we got... 40... freaking....inches... of... snow!

Up high, at least. It came in over several days, made everything soft pretty much everywhere, all the time. Even the groomers had several inches on them most days.

Big Sky really delivered - lots of great empty runs, minimal lift lines, tons of chopped pow and soft bumps, wide open glades, and generally fantastic skiing. Maybe the only negative was low visibility up high most days, limiting the chances to ski off the peak and higher lifts. But I don't think anyone minded too much - and I'm pretty sure all 60+ attendees had a great time.

Getting There
Most folks flew into Bozeman, although quite a few people drove as well. I flew into Bozeman from DC via Dallas on Saturday, so it was a bit of a long trip. I suppose difficulty to get there is one reason that Big Sky doesn't generally get crowded.

The Bozeman airport fits very well with the town and area - it's reminiscent of a big ski lodge (or National Park lodge) with carpeting, fireplaces, and lots of big wood beams. At the baggage claim area they have a lot of elaborate ads... I particularly liked the one for Bridger Bowl.

Bridger Bowl ad at baggage claim in Bozeman
20190223_134157.jpg

After getting my rental car I made an easy 1 hour drive down to Big Sky and got settled in and ready for the rest of the Gathering.

Day 1 - Sunday

The day started out gray and snow was expected... a good start. I decided I'd take the bus one stop from our condo to the base village. I wound up doing this every day.

View of Lone Peak from the bus stop... you can almost make out the peak, but it wouldn't really show up until day 5
Big Sky Gathering 030218 001 DC ACR Conv.jpg

The group was meeting in the Mammoth room for the first two days.... a big public room at the base that provides additional cafeteria seating. We were able to boot up and leave bags there, and it worked out well to reacquaint and say hello to new and old friends. People grouped up and headed out for some great skiing!

First morning meetup
Big Sky Gathering 030218 002 DC ACR Conv.jpg Big Sky Gathering 030218 003 DC ACR Conv.jpg

The first day, my group explored Andesite mountain... it has several lifts and a lot of great skiing. It's a large area in and of itself, and you start to get a sense of how big Big Sky really is... I'd call it sprawling. We found a lot of soft snow throughout the day and it snowed off and on.

@Dean and @bigguyski watching others come up the new Ramcharger lift
Big Sky Gathering 030218 006 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Elk Park Meadows - this got skied quite a few days. A huge open meadow with varying pitches and bumps.

Big Sky Gathering 030218 007 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@lisamamot and @Dean on, I think, Thunder Wolf lift
Big Sky Gathering 030218 010 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Me and Elizabeth on Thunder Wolf lift
Big Sky Gathering 030218 012 DC ACR Conv.jpg

L-to-R : @lisamamot, Elizabeth, @Philpug, @bbinder in the Lizette glade. There were a lot of wide open glades of various difficulties at Big Sky... lots of fun for folks (like me) learning to ski trees more.
Big Sky Gathering 030218 015 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@bigguyski and @Dean in Lizette
Big Sky Gathering 030218 017 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Philpug, @bigguyski, and @bbinder on Southern Comfort (the lift)
Big Sky Gathering 030218 018 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Requisite PugSki ski sticker shot I always take... this one with the cool new K2's @Philpug was on
Big Sky Gathering 030218 019 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Late in the day, after running into some other Gatherers, testing the snow depth just off the groomer (with @mdf, and a bit of @SkiDB and @Tony S thrown in too)
Big Sky Gathering 030218 021 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Every day after skiing, some of us headed to Montana Jack for après... always nice to have a regular après spot and just see who showed up each day. @Poolskier Vinny and his posse, including @FrozenDessert, really drove the après - it was a great group to hang out with, though I didn't get to ski with them. Next time!

Adele, @MattSmith, @SkiDB
Big Sky Gathering 030218 022 DC ACR Conv.jpg
@Poolskier Vinny in the middle, and more of his Canadian posse
Big Sky Gathering 030218 023 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Day 2 - Monday

This was a bit of a "mountain tour" kind of day, as we wanted to get across the resort to the "Moonlight Basin" side - the part of the resort that used to be a separate resort called Moonlight Basin. This involves 4 lifts to get over to the very furthest runs, which is what we wanted to do, so it took a while. After a warm up run down some nice soft groomers, we made our way over.

Warm up run was crowded in the early morning :P
Big Sky Gathering 030218 026 ACR Conv Pano.JPG

@bigguyski navigating around the crowds
Big Sky Gathering 030218 027 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@bigguyski ... smooth turns!
Big Sky Gathering 030218 028 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We made it over to Horseshoe, the furthest run eventually (with some great snow along the way) and it was beautiful. It's a very gentle blue run, but has a couple inches of snow on top of untouched grooming, and several inches to play around in off of either side. A few other folks decided to try some of the black tree runs in the area too... which I'd do later in the week.

Almost untracked, hero groomer
Big Sky Gathering 030218 034 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Weegie McAdams, Meimei, and @Flying Dutchess on Horseshoe
Big Sky Gathering 030218 035 DC ACR Conv.jpg

After the Horseshoe run, we headed over to the Madison base for a break and decided to head back for lunch to the main base... it was a lot of travelling around the mountain.

@John Webb, @Dean, @lisamamot, and @BillSavage near the Madison base
Big Sky Gathering 030218 041 DC ACR Conv.jpg

After lunch we went back over to some familiar territory on Andesite mountain to finish the day.

@bigguyski in Elk Park Meadow picking a line down
Big Sky Gathering 030218 049 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Flying Dutchess, @Weegie McAdams, and @bigguyski back in Lizette - I think I did this run about 5 times during the week
Big Sky Gathering 030218 051 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Monday night was the party at PugSki central... it was a nice time with a big turnout, but I didn't take pics. What happens at a PugSki party stays at a PugSki party I guess.

Day 3 - Tuesday

Tuesday we got a refresh on the snow (though didn't really need it :D) We skied some of the groomers off of the Swift Current chair, hoping that a couple of the other areas we hadn't hit yet would open. (Shedhorn and Dakota lifts... They were closed for avy mitigation, mostly of the high terrain above them I think.) We found some more nice open glades to ski, and some good groomers and did several laps.

The area didn't appear to be opening any time soon, so we once again headed back to the Ramcharger lift on Andesite mountain. It was snowing pretty heavily off and on, and a bubble chair was welcome. As was the soft and deep snow we found in places.

Snowing heavily as @bigguyski and @Dean ski snow covered/filled in bumps
Big Sky Gathering 030218 057 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Flying Dutchess, @Dean, @bigguyski, and @Weegie McAdams under the bubble
Big Sky Gathering 030218 058 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Later that afternoon, I met some others at Everett's 8800 restaurant at the top of Ramcharger. It's a sit down restaurant at an elevation of 8800 feet. You need reservations for lunch, but I think it's worth it. It was very nice, the food was good, and it was pricey but not crazy. One of the reasons they put in the fancy bubble chair was to allow non-skiers to come up here any time, and we saw a few who just rode up for lunch.

Inside Everett's. We got the table in the back corner with windows on both sides - nice!
20190226_132325.jpg

Later I skied several times down Ambush Meadows, which had some deep-ish stuff all along the skier's right side among some thin trees. It was great. And I ran into a few other PugSkiers to finish the day!

Great snow all day!
Big Sky Gathering 030218 059 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@PisteOff and @ChunderBlunder coming out of the trees and bumps on Ambush Glades
Big Sky Gathering 030218 064 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Gary Stolt carving some soft stuff at the bottom of Ambush Glade
Big Sky Gathering 030218 066 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Day 4 - Wednesday

Best Day Ever!

We got a bunch more snow - the biggest amount of the week - and skied some wonderful runs. With all the new snow, some of us wanted to head back over to the Moonlight Basin side and ski some of the tree runs over there. On the way we found some nearly untracked areas and lots of deep (for me - ankle to shin deep) snow.

The Lone Tree lift was running in fits and starts, and not running at times, so we skied a few cruising runs - and a gully - in the Moonlight area wating to go up Lone Tree. Once that started running we got into Single Jack, which I think was my favorite run and the deepest pockets of snow I've skied - knee deep in places!

@Jim Kenney joined us and "commandeered" my camera, and we got a bunch of action shots in the deep snow. Including some of me, which is nice though I'm not used to that.

@Pumba and @theNitza heading to the Moonlight side
Big Sky Gathering 030218 069 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza skiing the chopped up pow

Big Sky Gathering 030218 083 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Me in the chop
Big Sky Gathering 030218 087 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba charging some bumps and drops

Big Sky Gathering 030218 119 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Me again... I'm starting to like this "off-piste" stuff! :)

Big Sky Gathering 030218 135 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba driving hard

Big Sky Gathering 030218 148 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza getting a bit of air off a bump

Big Sky Gathering 030218 159 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba watching @Jim Kenney head down some deep stuff
Big Sky Gathering 030218 168 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We lapped the Six Shooter lift waiting for Lone Tree to open, and a bunch of other folks had the same idea we did. This was about the biggest lift line of the week, and was only a few minutes.

Six Shooter lift line
Big Sky Gathering 030218 170 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Once Lone Tree opened, we headed to the Single Jack run, which was mostly empty. At one point a couple of skiers cruised past us and said "please don't tell anyone about this" as they passed. I understood... Why wouldn't you want it all to yourself?!?

@Pumba in Single Jack

Big Sky Gathering 030218 174 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza at the bottom of one of the steeper little pitches
Big Sky Gathering 030218 175 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Looking down another pillow soft pitch
Big Sky Gathering 030218 177 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba in the pow
Big Sky Gathering 030218 182 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We also did some of the other little open glades/tree runs including some of the blue ones... still nice, but not as fun as the ones we did earlier.

View of Whiskey run
Big Sky Gathering 030218 189 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza in Whiskey
Big Sky Gathering 030218 191 DC ACR Conv.jpg

A bit later we ran into the @KingGrump group... which lead us to ski the face under the Lone Tree lift, which I believe is the steepest thing I've ever skied. Which was a great experience in all the soft snow, though I was tired and struggled a bit. I think I'd do it more justice if I got another crack at it!

And of course I ended the day at Montana Jack again, with some usual suspects....

@Poolskier Vinny and @MattSmith - always so serious
Big Sky Gathering 030218 206 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Kathleen (I think? Sorry if I've got that wrong!) with an impressive trick - Canadians are good with pint glasses. ;)
Big Sky Gathering 030218 207 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Day 5 - Thursday

Thursday things started to clear, so it looked like the day the tram may really be open. So folks started heading higher. I wasn't planning to do the tram, but I did want to check out the bowl under the peak near the tram base. So we headed up high early.

@Tony S, and @Tony (who arrived to ski this day) looking at the clearing up high
Big Sky Gathering 030218 214 DC ACR Conv.jpg

At the top of the Powder Seeker lift (heated six-pack bubble, btw) you get a good view of the tram and couloirs ... it wasn't as clear up high as hoped
Big Sky Gathering 030218 224 DC ACR Conv.jpg

View of the base village from up high
Big Sky Gathering 030218 228 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We lapped Powder Seeker a few times, before they opened the bowl. Quite a few folks - 50? 100? - raced into it quickly.
Big Sky Gathering 030218 231 DC ACR Conv.jpg

After lapping Powder Seeker for a while, it was getting cloudier, foggier, and flatter light, so we headed low to do some laps on the Iron Horse chair that most of us hadn't really skied yet. We found some nice runs and glades.

@Flying Dutchess coming out of the liftline glade
Big Sky Gathering 030218 235 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Dean spraying some pow
Big Sky Gathering 030218 238 DC ACR Conv.jpg

After heading back for lunch, I met up with a couple of other folks who had just arrived this day, and skied around Andesite in the afternoon with them. Of course, we skied Lizette again! It was getting warm and sunny in places by the end of the day, and the snow was getting obviously heavier and stickier down low.

@fosphenytoin in Lizette
Big Sky Gathering 030218 239 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Georgeann in Lizette

Big Sky Gathering 030218 249 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We also skied Congo Line - still a blue run, but a bit more serious glade with nice bumps. I think PugSkiers spent a lot of time on this run, as it was convenient to heading back to the base.
Big Sky Gathering 030218 253 DC ACR Conv.jpg

The sun was again returning in the afternoon. This is from under the Swift Current lift, with Andesite mountain on the right.
Big Sky Gathering 030218 261 ACR Conv Pano.JPG

Finally around the end of the day we actually could see the peak for the first time all week, with a spot of sun on it... a sign of things to come
Big Sky Gathering 030218 264 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Day 6 - Friday

Friday was sunny! The only sunny day we got all week, and it was nice to end on a bluebird day. The mountain was beautiful in the sun, the runs were fast, but it was still pretty cold so there was still soft snow to be found.

The random ski rack I picked in the morning before booting up was popular with PugSkiers
Big Sky Gathering 030218 274 DC ACR Conv.jpg

A bluebird Friday can bring out the crowds. Lines at the base got this long occassionally, but weren't consistent... this line would wane to just a handful of folks a little later in the morning

Big Sky Gathering 030218 275 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Lone Mountain in the sun is pretty amazing to see
Big Sky Gathering 030218 276 DC ACR Conv.jpg

The base village mall looking perfectly wintry... Montana Jack après spot is in the low section on the left
Big Sky Gathering 030218 277 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Part of Elk Ridge Meadow in the sun.... it stayed relatively soft and nice
Big Sky Gathering 030218 278 DC ACR Conv.jpg

I spent the morning skiing with @mdf, @Needham, and @SkiDB
Big Sky Gathering 030218 279 DC ACR Conv.jpg

We ripped some of the nice groomers in the sun... @mdf finishing up here
Big Sky Gathering 030218 280 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Needham
Big Sky Gathering 030218 281 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Then we hit Bear's Lair... a (for me) steep tree run.... tiring for me, but fun, and the others were very encouraging, like @SkiDB
Big Sky Gathering 030218 283 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Then we headed up high... and could fully see the couliors - Big Couloir on the left, and Little on the right
Big Sky Gathering 030218 289 DC ACR Conv.jpg

A few more runs, and my last ski day was done
Big Sky Gathering 030218 292 DC ACR Conv.jpg

On Saturday, I drove back to Bozeman and took a flight out. We had some de-icing problems in Bozeman, and some flight delay in Dallas because my connection was coming from Denver. I got home in about 13 hours. Big Sky is not the easiest place to get to... or to leave either!

Other stuff

Lift Tickets :

I was on the Mountain Collective pass, and had three included days. After that I bought a three day lift ticket, with each day at half the window rate, or ~$80 a day. It was nice that I could just get a 3 day ticket. At Taos (for instance) you have to buy a single day ticket each morning.

So far this year I've used 5 included days on the MCP, and plan to get two more. And I've bought 6 half price days, so it's worked out well for $410. But as I've also skied Sunday River and Stratton, an Ikon pass would actually have been cheaper. Have to look at that for next season.

Lodging :

We got a two bedroom, two bath condo walking distance from the base (a bit of a hike, but I walked home every day) for ~$1400 for the week. Not bad IMO. Others had a great deal at the hotel right at the base village. And others had nice house rentals down the mountain a few miles drive. Lots of options at Big Sky.

Rental car :

I lucked out on a great deal with Alamo that I got back in September - $216 advertised for the week for a full-size SUV (~$250 with taxes). I had a Nissan Armada which was great for the snow covered roads everywhere, and for getting in and out of our parking lot as it got snowed in throughout the week.

Food :

The food at the cafeteria was actually pretty good, I thought, and not too expensive. Everett's was very good and worth doing. At night we mostly ate in, though we did hit Alberto's in the Meadow Village one night and it wasn't bad - pretty typical mexican place. There are a few recommended restaurants in the area, but we didn't make it out to them.

Finally, it was great meeting a bunch of new people, and old friends. This was my fourth national Gathering, and they keep me coming back. So thanks especially to those who made it happen and/or I got to meet and spend time with - this list gets longer every year! @Philpug, @Tricia, @MattSmith, Steve, @Weegie McAdams, @Dean, @Flying Dutchess, @bigguyski, Elizabeth, @mdf, @KevinF, @Tony S, @Tony, Lucia, @Poolskier Vinny, @FrozenDessert, ( and @plusone and @beaver_mittens and the rest of the crew - where are the accounts?), @KingGrump, Mamie, @jimmy, @bbinder, @gardenmary, @lisamamot, Meimei, @fosphenytoin, Georgeann, @SShore, @Unpiste, @Near Nyquist, @Andy Mink, @AKMINK, @PisteOff, @ChunderBlunder, @TheArchitect, @SkiDB, @Gary Stolt, @UGASkiDawg, @DanoT, @Needham, @Shifterkart, @Jim Kenney, @Vince, @Stephen, @Pumba, @theNitza, @SKI-3PO, @Johnny V., @John Webb ... and probably several others I'm forgetting (sorry!) For those of you I didn't meet or talk to, maybe next year.

I can't wait for Jackson Hole!!

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Outstanding report. You may be the record holder - skied with the most different Gatherers at one Gathering! :golfclap: It was a pleasure to make some turns with you again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another awesome @dbostedo trip report. You are showing me how much of the mountain I missed this week. You mentioned Congo (and Congo Line), I think I skied them more than any other runs...they were soooo fun but after seeing your pics, there was so much we missed off of 6 shooter.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
That's a great one! Thanks! :) That run was the first time I've been able to think "I'm going too fast, so I'll just plow through that big pile of snow to slow down".

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another awesome @dbostedo trip report. You are showing me how much of the mountain I missed this week. You mentioned Congo (and Congo Line), I think I skied them more than any other runs...they were soooo fun but after seeing your pics, there was so much we missed off of 6 shooter.

Everything on the trail map right of the Six Shooter lift over to Lookout Ridge seemed cool, though I didn't ski much of it. Lookout Ridge is literally a ridge with tree runs coming down off either side.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Excellent report, @dbostedo. You captured the mountain, conditions and vibe quite well in words and views.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great report! Thanks.

SkiDB

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the great report! It was a pleasure skiing with you and everyone else. With such a wonderful week, I’m having a hard time re-acclimating to real life. I can’t wait for Jackson next year!!

Here are a few shots of my Friday morning with @mdf, @dbostedo, and @Needham .
297B7123-BDD7-4C30-8899-70519915A33B.jpeg E45DACDA-04EE-4CEA-9D4D-1D28BCC43EED.jpeg 46F58672-4ACE-43A5-9BB7-C816A6A7EC9C.jpeg 5CE993B0-A72E-402B-8BB0-E7923E45A101.jpeg

Attachments

• 7914F385-928D-48FF-9E63-4290EF32E757.jpeg
    7914F385-928D-48FF-9E63-4290EF32E757.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 5

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
he random ski rack I picked in the morning before booting up was popular with PugSkiers
big-sky-gathering-030218-274-dc-acr-conv-jpg.67544
Skis by me, @Philpug, @Tricia, and @AKMINK. Not sure who the Atomics belong to. Maybe @Johnny V.? The Renouns on the other side are either @PisteOff or the day @jimmy was using them.

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
WOW! That's really the only word that comes to mind when describing this year's gathering... truly amazing snow conditions on a great mountain, with so many great people!

Missed the last two gatherings by just a week in both Whistler (2017) and Utah (2018) and finally got to re-connect with the PugSKI crew at the very place of the last gathering I attended... and how great is Big Sky now combined with Moonlight Basin (except for the "private club" Moonlight lodge, what's up with that?)

Anyway thanks so much for the hospitality @Philpug and @Tricia, the meet'n'greet party was lovely and enjoyed catching up with you both. Truly wonderful to spend more time with @margaritamarcia and @bbinder and to meet @Shifterkart & Kollette. @Tony , sorry we didn't get to take any more turns together, was looking forward to more after our day at Heavenly! Finally, I'm not sure if they've signed up here yet, but new Pugs Sean (Asheville NC) and Andy (Phoenix) who's path happened to cross with mine and Neill's (@NeillST) on this trip.

I think everyone else has summed it up quite well. Only complaint... NEVER ENOUGH TIME... especially when conditions are like that. Life goals to be able to live closer and/or generally spend more time in places and snow like that to fully appreciate the gift. Lizette was one of my faves, and apparently I should have spent more time on Africa/Congo/Madagascar having seen the later pictures. Iron Horse lift territory was great except when the lift malfunctioned and we were stuck for 45(?) minutes.

new Pug #1 - Andy (Londoner living in PHX)

Andy.jpg

FINALLY got to try the Elk Chops @ Buck's... worth the trip!
ElkChops.jpeg

One of the few days with a bit of light... the snow was worth it but really would have loved staying long enough to enjoy a true bluebird day!
IMG_0942.jpeg

Great powder!
IMG_0944.JPG

A "busy day" at Big Sky, my idea of perfection!
IMG_0948.jpeg

Marveling at the conditions, @Shifterkart, Kollette, @margaritamarcia
IMG_0953.jpeg

@NeillST checking your phone in conditions like that? tsk tsk! Neill.jpg

New Pug #2 - Sean from Asheville, industry colleague of mine, sheer coincidence our paths crossed!
Sean.jpg

See y'all in Jackson 2020 !!!!!

~Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1

Sponsor

Staff online