• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Or for that matter the Boyne reciprocal resort privileges - would really suck if you arrived in Big Sky and could not ski
Might have to win a lottery and pay for a ticket, possibly with a discounted rate for pass holders who thought the pass was all they'd need.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Might have to win a lottery and pay for a ticket, possibly with a discounted rate for pass holders who thought the pass was all they'd need.
Perhaps you need to book your accommodation through Big Sky to solve for this. I am sure they will have something to accommodate folks who travel and book hotels with them.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Email from Big Sky - assume it went to most if not all who have ever given them an email address:

Two points I took
1) Season pass sales probably will resume
2) Already some work on Swifty 2.0

LOOKING AHEAD TO SKI SEASON
Hello Big Sky Skiers & Riders,

Like you, we’re still in a little bit of shock at how last winter season ended, surprisingly and suddenly on March 15th. We’re also in awe at the resilience, thoughtfulness, and patience of our community, both here in Montana and around the world. Pulling together is the way forward for us all, and we’ve been humbled to see that happen here in so many ways.

We’re especially proud of our creative and resourceful teams here at the resort, who have been working hard at building the framework for a successful winter season, while also offering summer operations.

Our team is excited about opening the Biggest Skiing in America on Thanksgiving Day and are grateful for the loyalty and enthusiasm of our guests. For those who are eager to secure a season pass or lift tickets, we appreciate your patience since pass sales paused on June 15th. We are continuing our thoughtful approach as we look ahead to winter, and plan to share another opportunity to purchase winter lift access before the start of the season. Like everywhere else, we are carefully preparing for the safety of our environment, but are confident that even with adaptations, the thrill of skiing at Big Sky Resort will be as exhilarating as ever.

So, what can you expect? To start with, a resort environment that will operate according to the very best practices, based on the expertise of public health experts, governmental officials, and ski industry standards. This will likely include social distancing practices in all facilities, facial covering requirements, and improved procedures and technology to promote contactless transactions. The combination of our immense acreage and industry best practices will give our guests the elbow room and flexibility to experience the Biggest Skiing in America safely. Big Sky Resort is committed to leading thoughtfully, and pivoting as needed with this ever-changing environment.

One of those necessary pivots involved the replacement of the Swift Current lift. Although our new D-Line, 6-passenger lift has been manufactured, we chose to delay installation this summer fearing COVID-related supply chain and construction delays. Despite those concerns, we were able to initiate several stages of the foundation work over the past few months, giving us a head start on lift installation next summer.

We also kept our workforce busy constructing yet more workforce housing, our fourth project in four years. Big Sky remains the largest provider of workforce housing in the community. Our crews have also added new bike trails and improved ski terrain, pushing hard to keep improving Big Sky Resort and working toward our 2025 Vision.

Even as air travel nationwide has fallen to 27% of normal (and in Bozeman, 44% of normal) we are excited that Alaska Airlines has announced new daily, year-round, non-stop service from Los Angeles to Bozeman will begin November 20. American has announced an additional Dallas to Bozeman flight for the holidays, and Jet Blue will offer additional Los Angeles flights and a new route from Boston to Bozeman. Bozeman’s commercial air service is among the best in mountain towns, with a total of 19 non-stop markets.

As the season draws near, you can expect another update on our operations. Until then, we wish you good health and happiness and look forward to seeing you soon.

Troy Nedved, General Manager

Taylor Middleton, COO & President

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Preliminary Work continues on Swifty 6.
Tree clearing to reroute the new lift a little left of the existing lift.
Regrading under and around old Swifty.
Old Swifty only running on weekends to avoid construction equipment.
I’m encouraged that they’re doing what they can do now to make construction easier next season. It was always going to be a challenge to get it done by opening day.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Update
Today BSMR announced opening day is planned for thanksgiving day. Season ticket sales will resume later this summer as the Covid situation becomes more clear.
remember MT had a 14 day quarantine earlier this year so the resort is properly cautious.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wanted to book a group into The Lodge at Big Sky, the independent hotel that would serve our group best. I think they're out of business. Too bad, we'll go somewhere else next winter. The properties that Big Sky Resort owns or manages don't meet our particular needs as well in this Year(s) of the Virus.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don’t know your source of information. I just checked The Lodge website and it is still active. I walked by there this week and they were sealing and relining their parking lot.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I wanted to book a group into The Lodge at Big Sky, the independent hotel that would serve our group best. I think they're out of business. Too bad, we'll go somewhere else next winter. The properties that Big Sky Resort owns or manages don't meet our particular needs as well in this Year(s) of the Virus.

The Lodge at Big Sky isn’t out of business. The site is up, accepting reservations and they’re answering phones.

Last edited:

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I
Update
Today BSMR announced opening day is planned for thanksgiving day. Season ticket sales will resume later this summer as the Covid situation becomes more clear.
remember MT had a 14 day quarantine earlier this year so the resort is properly cautious.
Was happy to read they plan on their annual Thanksgiving opening. Not that we’re there that early, but it’s our tradition to watch the webcams on Thanksgiving.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I thought it was a great update. I’m certainly optimistic.

Email from Big Sky - assume it went to most if not all who have ever given them an email address:

Two points I took
1) Season pass sales probably will resume
2) Already some work on Swifty 2.0

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m certainly optimistic.

I share your optimism about the 2020-21 season. The written update was informative, but seeing the effort that was put into the summer season and pay off is also great to see. At one point hotel bookings at BS were up ~20% over last summer and town seems busier. Now we need to get the number of new COVID-19 cases down in the US while the vaccine development continues.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got the email as well and wish I shared @Tiki s optimism. As @Talisman is saying, town is just nuts this summer and I'm afraid town isn't going to get back to pre C-19 population any time soon, the 'rona nomads are here and we are being called the new JH !

I sure hope for may locals and guests that pass sales continue and I read it the same way as Tiki that SP sales will probably continue.

Here are some recent figures about town :
300 million in new home sales in the town of big sky this year alone not including the new montage resort, estimated at 400 million before its complete. The YC is setting a blazing pace of new projects with a wide range of sales depending on who you talk to between 5 - 700 mill.
Even if you take the lowest number that's still 1 bill + in new and existing sales with still 4 months to go. Staggering !
Take returning season pass sales and combine them with the new home buyers with extended families that bought and the resort had to hit the pause button on sales, they had never sold so many early passes ever.
I'm told management is trying to figure out just what capacity is in the world of C-19. last year when RC went down during opening hour on a holiday week the swifty line was almost to explorer, put 6 feet between guests and throw in some S distance on the chair and you would be at 1 -2 hrs to get out of the base area alone.

Big Sky and Boyne has some amazing leadership, I'm sure they will get it right !

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
On a hike up Andesite I saw lots of new construction on Lone Peak through binoculars. No pictures, because I don't have a telephoto lens but BS construction crews doing a large concrete pour near the top of Swifty. There was a full sized concrete truck and concrete pump working the pour located the lookers left of the current lift.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
On a hike up Andesite I saw lots of new construction on Lone Peak through binoculars. No pictures, because I don't have a telephoto lens but BS construction crews doing a large concrete pour near the top of Swifty. There was a full sized concrete truck and concrete pump working the pour located the lookers left of the current lift.

from the plans they shared previously that’s probably the foundation for the chair house.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1599365808376.jpeg
Bridgers are burning as we speak!
This Shot from our friends farm just over the hill from B Bowl, Very close to Bozeman and the ski area.
Vibes to those in the Bridger area and that everyone is out and safe.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I saw evacuations are extending beyond the ski area. Yellow star is where it started. Red marker indicates evacuation mentioned in the news. Structures said to have been lost.
Screenshot_20200905-223145_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20200905-220800_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online