• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Podcast interview of Stephen Kircher, Boyne Resorts President, discussing the COVID-19 issue and how they went about shutting down resorts.

Listened through - a couple of future points, starting around 39:55

1) They're evaluating various construction projects (hotel/restaurant renovations, lifts), both from practical and financial standpoints. No decisions yet, and depends in part on how long things go. On Swiftcurrent, sounds like they have serious concern about risk of (a) getting started on time and (b) having an interruption during process that would prevent completion of work before winter.

2) They haven't "called" the season yet at Big Sky (and other places they haven't closed). They think there's a small chance they could reopen, snow conditions and life conditions permitting, and would like to, but realize it's not something he'd bet on.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My .02 after listening to the interview and observations from the hill since the shutdown.

1 This season is over !

2. Just like Vail, all capital projects will be put on hold for this season especially the new SC6. The scheduled start day for dismantling the existing SC was slated for the last week in April just after closing weekend.

IMO - Boyne isn’t going risk not getting their key base lift completed. As poorly as the current anti- swifty functions, it does run and its paid for.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm somewhat less pessimistic on #2, but I think that's likely right re Swiftcurrent. I think there won't be enough clarity by April 22 (or whatever) for them to have confidence they can complete it in time. As for other projects, I doubt they'll be put on hold beyond what they can't do because of direct impact. E.g., Huntley Lodge was supposed to be partly renovated this summer. I can see that happening still, because they can maybe just do a little less if need be (though I realize it's more efficient to do 200 rooms at once than just 100, for example). Other projects can probably occur as well.

I also don't know what the construction tactics are for SC6. For example, could they pour tower footings this summer so they're ready to go sooner next summer? And build the chair barn at the top? (Any maybe they can at least finish the RC8 chair barn with some siding . . .

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Swift-6-Screen-Shot-6-768x432.jpg

NEWS
New Ski Lift Construction Postponed at Big Sky Resort
April 3, 2020
Big Sky Resort has postponed installation of the new Swift Current ski lift until the summer of 2021. The lift had been scheduled for a summer 2020 installation and complete in time to open for the 2020-21 ski season.
“Proceeding with a complex and deadline sensitive construction project during the current COVID-19 emergency would not be a prudent decision,” said Troy Nedved, general manager of operations at Big Sky Resort. According to Nedved, concerns about construction worker health and the unknowns related to the construction supply chain make the project too risky to undertake in 2020. A Doppelmayr D-Line, 6-passenger lift, the fastest and most technologically-advanced lift in the industry, has already been custom manufactured for this installation. Some site preparation and limited construction will happen this summer once public health authorities signal an all clear.
Typically, major ski lift construction involving both the removal of an existing lift and installation of a new lift happens over the course of one April through November construction season with virtually no days to spare. “We‘re simply not going to initiate a project that removes a key ski lift if we cannot guarantee to our customers that the new lift will be ready for them on opening day,” said Taylor Middleton, COO, Big Sky Resort.
The resort is evaluating several other major construction projects scheduled for this summer on a case-by-case basis.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Makes good sense to me. Too many unknowns over the next few months. Too much risk to take out the old lift now. Hopefully a little work can be completed this summer to make sure it’s completed on time next year.
Unfortunately lift capacity may not be a big issue in the 20-21 season.
Everyone stay safe.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
There was a big sky zoom town hall yesterday. Several community leaders took questions. Taylor spoke on behalf of the resort. I thought he was informed, sincere and competent. Like the other community representatives, he grasped how the virus would impact the community from top to bottom. All the speakers noted that despite an optimistic outlook long term it was too soon to make predictions for this summer or winter season. They also emphasized it would be important for entrepreneurs to be careful over the next several months until we (the country) understand the full impact of the disease. A healthcare spokesman said the local hospital is well prepared and there are no Covid patients in the BS hospital.
You can probably download the video at: theoutlawpartners.com or the BS chamber of commerce

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let’s hope covid stays away, our current hospital stats are 4 beds and 1 vent.
I bet you there’s a house or two at YC club that are more prepared than that :doh:

Just wish we were all out enjoying the last weeks of the season. The mountain and snowpack look amazing, sucks driving by and seeing no one out enjoying it.
11 days and counting @skidrew till we put this 19/20 thread behind us.

Last edited:
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah - just from the webcams looks like it would have been a pretty good April . . . too bad (although a small issue in the scheme of things). A bit odd that BS hasn't formally said the season's over.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
New thread for 2020-2021 available here:

This thread is being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor