• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I figure this is the best place to get some advice. I have 3 days available to ski between Jackson Hole and Big Sky Will be in the area for a full week but travelling with non-skiers. I'm a solid intermediate and ski some black diamonds. Not a fan of moguls. I enjoy groomers and also venture into the trees. With all of that said, suggestions on 2 days BS 1 at JH or 2 at JH and 1 at BS? Lodging is flexible, staying in JH for sure and then West Yellowstone commuting daily to BS for ski days. Will be there in mid January skiing during the week. Part II of the equation, anyone in either location be around and looking for a ski buddy for a day or two? Moose drool or après ski beverage of your choice on me after. Thanks,

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I figure this is the best place to get some advice. I have 3 days available to ski between Jackson Hole and Big Sky Will be in the area for a full week but travelling with non-skiers. I'm a solid intermediate and ski some black diamonds. Not a fan of moguls. I enjoy groomers and also venture into the trees. With all of that said, suggestions on 2 days BS 1 at JH or 2 at JH and 1 at BS? Lodging is flexible, staying in JH for sure and then West Yellowstone commuting daily to BS for ski days. Will be there in mid January skiing during the week. Part II of the equation, anyone in either location be around and looking for a ski buddy for a day or two? Moose drool or après ski beverage of your choice on me after. Thanks,

With your described skill set, Big Sky is right up your alley. As to staying in West Yellowstone, unless the non skiers you are traveling with are snowmobilers (and taking a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone is highly recommended), there is very very little to keep anyone entertained there in the winter and it can be brutally cold in January and February. Bozeman is a much better option for your non skiing travelers.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Not a threadjack!

Agree BS will be a good place for you and you'll enjoy the loads of intermediates and can test yourself on some of the less challenging blacks (or step up more if you want). Easy to avoid moguls - most blues are groomed, and just check the map to see which. 2 days will barely let you explore everything!

What about having the non-skiers do an overnight in Yellowstone Park (which is great), which will take up most of two days. Then you can stay closer to BS for at least one night - West Yellowstone is quite a commute - and come pick them up on the backend. (You could even drop them in W.Y. on your way on your travel day, head to BS, stay there for two nights, and then return to meet them in W.Y. at the end of your second ski day.)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with Skidrew that you don't really want to commute from W. Yellowstone. It's far, the road can get dicey, and WY may be the single ugliest tourist town in the west. Nothing but cheap motels and mediocre diner food open in the winter. He's on the money with his suggestions.

For your non-skiers, overnight in the park itself is beyond wonderful; only advice is to reserve early as Snow Lodge does book up. Beautiful trip in/out and Old Faithful to yourself.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Spnole - did I miss your dates ?
Should be alive and kicking and up for some laps.

Thanks for all the responses folks! Right now, I'm looking at skiing Big Sky January 15th and 16th. Let me know if that links up with your schedule. Thanks

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Lift Blog reports BS shopping for 30 chairs for Six Shooter. Maybe chairs were damaged this summer or hopefully for added capacity to address the lift lines on sunny days.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Thanks for all the responses folks! Right now, I'm looking at skiing Big Sky January 15th and 16th. Let me know if that links up with your schedule. Thanks

Ha, we arrive on the 17th so looks like I'll miss you by a day. However, if snow is better at BS than JH the prior week, we'll flip flop our trip but the plan is to be in Jackson Jan 9-16.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Ha, we arrive on the 17th so looks like I'll miss you by a day. However, if snow is better at BS than JH the prior week, we'll flip flop our trip but the plan is to be in Jackson Jan 9-16.

Didn't realize you were coming to Big Sky when I commented in you Gas Pedal thread! Don't know if you are first timers or have been before, but feel free to contact me if you need any info regarding the mountain or if you want to take a few runs together. I'm an instructor at Big Sky and am there literally every day. :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When will Big Sky be open, and what are conditions looking like right now? This warm spell after our snowy, cold October, is really depressing and looks to be messing up our Targhee trip in two weeks...

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
When will Big Sky be open, and what are conditions looking like right now?

Big Sky opens on November 28th. Yes it warmed up and will rain before turning to snow later today. Rock skis make sense for early season at Big Sky as there are a lot of sharks teeth.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky opens on November 28th. Yes it warmed up and will rain before turning to snow later today. Rock skis make sense for early season at Big Sky as there are a lot of sharks teeth.
Two week forecast? I mean, I can check, but sometimes the locals have a better idea.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mountain weather can change by the hour let alone two weeks out. The trend has been favorable with cold and shots of snow, but Big Sky typically is boney early season,
Of course. Trending cooler/wetter though is not what we are seeing here at all. Getting frustrated.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Getting frustrated.
Some years Big Sky opens with one man made WROD from the Explorer lift which is a pokey double and four surface conveyor belts. Read those condition reports carefully. Fingers crossed for more natural snow.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Didn't realize you were coming to Big Sky when I commented in you Gas Pedal thread! Don't know if you are first timers or have been before, but feel free to contact me if you need any info regarding the mountain or if you want to take a few runs together. I'm an instructor at Big Sky and am there literally every day. :)

PM sent and yes, we are first timers. Can't wait as it looks like an amazing mountain for the diverse skill-set in our family!

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Some years Big Sky opens with one man made WROD from the Explorer lift which is a pokey double and four surface conveyor belts. Read those condition reports carefully. Fingers crossed for more natural snow.

True. And some years we are skiing off the peak on Day 1. It's really hard to know. And the mountain weather is impossible to predict, as has been mentioned. Even if you DID get a "locals" forecast, it would be hard to rely on it. Seems like our biggest dumps come when they've predicted an inch and we get an inch when they predict a major winter storm. More often than not, we usually have some decent skiing at opening though. So keep fingers crossed and enjoy it no matter what! It's a beautiful spot on the planet.

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
I’m psyching myself up for my first trip to Big Sky, in February. I was looking at the trail maps and they have a trail type I’ve never seen before: a triple black-diamond with a red outline. The map key says these runs are “high exposure.” What does this term mean? They’re clearly the hardest runs in the resort. Is this exposure to intense winds-weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor