• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like the "reimagined" Mountain Mall is on tap for this summer's construction work.

http://bigsky2025.com/mountain-mall.html

Looking to the locals to scope out progress and whether the gondola (chondola?) to replace and extend Explorer gets a start.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year will be hard to beat with the gathering and a great snow year but we’re going to try in 19-20, thanks for kicking it off @skidrew

Mountain mall is in full on demo mode. The entire perimeter along with the parking lot has been fenced off. Sandblasting teams are going at the interior, just about every window in the place is gone and kitchen is out in the courtyard.

Appears from last weeks early walk around that some additional square footage is being added to the existing footprint and new facade and interior work will soon follow.
A shit ton of snow has been pushed away from the base area and lower lifts including the explorer area but no sign of a new explorer lift as of yet.
The projects General Contractor is actively pursuing high level workers for some vacant positions on the project but may have to look farther outside the area as Big Sky and Bozeman are on fire right now with skilled workers commanding their highest rates in years.
Now that our house is complete I’ll be taking on a summer millwork position on a 25,000 ft private home, really looking forward to seeing the indoor Olympic pool and full size B-Ball court in the basement.

Last edited:

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
There will be three new chairlifts built in the Big Sky area for next winter (at YC, Moonlight and Spanish Peaks) but none at Big Sky Resort proper. Hopefully gondola construction begins next summer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
#bringbacktheperogies

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
There will be three new chairlifts built in the Big Sky area for next winter (at YC, Moonlight and Spanish Peaks) but none at Big Sky Resort proper. Hopefully gondola construction begins next summer.

Where will the Spanish Peaks and Moonlight lifts be located? Opening up new terrain or just residential lifts?

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Don't tease!

Where will the Spanish Peaks and Moonlight lifts be located? Opening up new terrain or just residential lifts?

Although you can find some info buried on liftblog: https://liftblog.com/big-sky-resort-mt/ (scroll down), which I believe is as follows (piecing together things)

Highlands in Spanish Peaks - real estate access to top of Lone Moose:

https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/img_6133.jpg

Lakeview - real estate access from near Ulery's Lake to just above the Six Shooter base (I'm guessing from others' descriptions it's the "future lift" that runs from Ulery's lake to Madison Village:

https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/img_6132.jpg

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
My understanding is Explorer will still operate next season. "Preliminary" work will be done on the Gondola project. My guess is that means engineering, clearing, grading, maybe concrete pads for towers, maybe clearing and grading for the learning center. Generally stuff that will allow the actual construction to move forward with a high degree of confidence and on schedule next season.

The Highlands lift may be a little more than a real estate access lift. It helps tie in the Hotel area to Big Sky. Might even add a nice tree run or two. No doubt "Access" is the priority on these but Some of these "real estate access lifts" also help move folks around the mountain which is a good thing.

Big sky resort announced they are on a two year cycle for "on mountain" lift improvements. 2016-17 and 2018-19 had some great improvements. 2020-2021 will be the year of the Gondola - and maybe more!

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
$13-Million Upgrade to Mountain Village at Big Sky Resort, MT Underway
SnowBrains | May 16, 2019 | Industry News

MM5-min.jpg

Artist’s rendering. Credit: Big Sky

This summer, Big Sky Resort, MT is investing $13 million in re-envisioning its dining, après ski, restrooms, and lockers in the Mountain Village base area. Renovations are currently underway to introduce a modern food hall for the 2019-2020 ski season.

All-new cuisine options will greet skiers next winter, including sushi flown in fresh from both coasts, a ramen station, a taqueria, stone-fired pizza, specialty coffee and crepe stations, plus a deli and grill serving soups, sandwiches, and other items.

824-MMR-2-Int-16-dv4-min.jpg

The new food hall offers plentiful indoor seating for guests taking a ski break, warming up, or grabbing a bite to eat. Seating capacity will nearly double with an increase of more than 350 seats for use from breakfast to après. Après ski will be enlivened with new outdoor decks boasting prime views of Lone Mountain and a cozy outdoor fireplace. The enhanced deck will seat more than 250 people, perfect for soaking up the sun and drinking in the quintessential Big Sky views.

The guest experience will become more seamless, convenient and fresh from arrival to departure. Guests first will be greeted by improvements to the facility’s lower level, including complimentary day-use cubbies, day and seasonal-use lockers, a new changing area and expanded bathrooms to start the day in comfort.

824-MMR-2-Int-16-dv8-min.jpg

A new public elevator installed in the central core of the building will be available to all, including skiers arriving to the 15-minute drop-off zone in Mountain Village, who may want to hit the slopes as quickly as possible.The elevator will enable guests to access retail and restaurants effortlessly, including those at the brand new food hall on the third floor. The elevator will be most impactful for the large contingent of special ability recreationalists who visit Big Sky.

The renovated common area will also serve as a flexible event venue with a capacity of over 750 people.

Total restroom capacity in the renovated space will increase by more than 50 percent. Staff locker facilities on the lower level will also being expanded and modernized.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Highlands in Spanish Peaks - real estate access to top of Lone Moose:

The lift line for the "Highlands" was cut in early fall of 2018. I need to hike the lift line to see what "possibilities" exist for new lines next season.
new Lift Line Flat Iron Oct 2018.JPG

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TO BE OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED AUGUST 6th

Bode Miller to become the ski ambassador for Spanish Peaks and moonlight basin areas
at Big Sky as well as the Bode Miller Academy will be announced.
Athletes will start training in the Moonlight area this fall.
The educational aspect will be in conjunction with the Big Sky School district with the projected cost of enrollment is to be 70k range with athletes already enrolled

The BS School district already boasts the highest SAT scores in the state as well as USA Today rated BS as one of the top H Schools in the state.

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Any idea of what it might cost for a 3 day lift ticket? A rough idea would be of great help!

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any idea of what it might cost for a 3 day lift ticket? A rough idea would be of great help!

Depends on when you go and whether you buy in advance, as BS has started pricing to demand. You're probably looking at $350 +/- $50 for three days (valid for 3 of 4 days).

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Forgot i asked the question...thanks for the reply! We'll be going Feb 22-26 2020.

Thanks again!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
We will be out at BS for a week of our family road trip, arriving from J-Hole on Jan 18th. In an average year, how is coverage the 3rd week in January? I'd love to come later but the only time I can take 8 weeks off is Jan-Feb so we are locked in to the "early season". We are a family of 4 ranging from a progressing beginner to expert so there is a range of comfort levels for me to balance. I'll probably go out solo the first day and spend part of it exploring to make sure I don't get my daughter in over her head but what are some suggestions for a nice first day flow of lifts/runs for greens and easier blues to learn the mountain? Any sand bagged blues to watch out for that ski tougher than their color? My wife and daughter are still mostly skiing groomers with my wife comfortable on most any blues and easier blacks and my daughter comfortable on all greens and easier blues. My 11 y/o son loves tree skiing with me so if there is any beta for some nice glades with decent spacing, that would be a bonus!

Having grown up in Tahoe/Mammoth, I know what it's like to be invaded by the weekend warriors. We promise to respect the locals so please don't shoot if you see our IKON passes! BS has been on my list for years so I'm stoked to finally ski it! Thanks!

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
We will be out at BS for a week of our family road trip, arriving from J-Hole on Jan 18th. In an average year, how is coverage the 3rd week in January? I'd love to come later but the only time I can take 8 weeks off is Jan-Feb so we are locked in to the "early season". We are a family of 4 ranging from a progressing beginner to expert so there is a range of comfort levels for me to balance. I'll probably go out solo the first day and spend part of it exploring to make sure I don't get my daughter in over her head but what are some suggestions for a nice first day flow of lifts/runs for greens and easier blues to learn the mountain? Any sand bagged blues to watch out for that ski tougher than their color? My wife and daughter are still mostly skiing groomers with my wife comfortable on most any blues and easier blacks and my daughter comfortable on all greens and easier blues. My 11 y/o son loves tree skiing with me so if there is any beta for some nice glades with decent spacing, that would be a bonus!

Having grown up in Tahoe/Mammoth, I know what it's like to be invaded by the weekend warriors. We promise to respect the locals so please don't shoot if you see our IKON passes! BS has been on my list for years so I'm stoked to finally ski it! Thanks!

1) Coverage is going to vary from year to year, depending on conditions, but it's reasonable to expect that a large percentage of the groomed terrain (green/blue) will be well covered, and a good portion of the advanced/expert will be. The steepest terrain is harder to predict - could be great, or it could be rocky. BS coverage can be thinner early season. We were there last year around those dates and the coverage was just fine for us, and we skied pretty much all over the mountain except from the peak.

2) For trails, it's huge. First day, I'd start with some laps off Swiftcurrent. Mr. K is a classic run, and then as you gain comfort you can try the other blues off Swifty - Calamity Jane, Crazy Horse, Lobo, etc.. Or you can go up RamCharger to Andesite. Ski over to the greens - Sacajawea and Deep South for some gentle, long greens, El Dorado as you work up a bit, lapping Southern Comfort Lift, and then ski back over to Elk Park Ridge and Big Horn for intermediates, lapping ThunderWolf. Only downside to Andesite is for beginniners to get back down the choice is either a cat track (Pacifier) or Safari, which is mostly green except for one steep pitch that might properly be classified as an intermediate (certainly a double green if they graded that way at BS). For the intermediates, any of the blues down to the main base are a good choice, although Hangman's is my preference and Ambush is usually very firm because it has a lot of made snow. For trees, check Pomp and Lizette off of Southern Comfort. Make sure the cover is decent - they start very gentle, but get a little steeper as you go down, and if rutted and icy it could be a challenge. You can also come down Congo as you head back down to the base area. All have been cleared out so the trees aren't a huge challenge. There are also some gladed runs off of Swiftcurrent, if you head down from the Powderseeker bottom, inclhding Forbidden Forest and Magic Meadows. White Magic off of Crazy Horse also does the job. There are tons of other glades, but these are some of the most accessible.

3) It's worth taking part of a day or more over in the Moonlight side. The runs there tend to ski a bit easier for their color than the BIg Sky runs.

4) As for "sandbags" I can't think of any, unless it's a blue that hasn't been groomed (and as mentioned, on pitch on Safari). Both Lobo and Chuck's run (off Swifty) tend not to get groomed as often, and can get pretty chunky at times. The greens are pretty much all groomed daily and are fairly graded (of course, there are easy greens and hard greens, but they're greens).

Last edited:
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last edited:

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Surfandski
My experience is some guests find BS trail ratings slightly harder than some other resorts. Not all blues are groomed daily. Some greens will be ungrounded a light powder day to provide a learning experience for folks who are beginners in powder. Read the grooming reports. Start on the Greens until your family is comfortable with the trail ratings. The easiest lift overall is Southern Comfort on Andesite Mtn. The easiest run with the best snow will almost always be Mr. K below lone peak. Occasionally the Moonlight side has the best beginner snow. Ask ski patrol or Mtn Hosts (green jackets) for info.
Consider a free two hour mountain tour to learn more.
January can be cold so buy glove liners, balaclavas, hand warmers and foot warmers from a discounter and bring them with you.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

You will love BS. It is a perfect place for a group like yours. @skidrew 's advise is spot on. As to sandbag blue runs, it all depends on conditions. Congo for instance can be a really fun approachable blue bump/glade run. It is unusual in my opinion however, because the bumps sometimes run across the fault line rather than being more rounded. Not terrible when the snow is good but difficult when it is very hard. Silverknife off of Ramcharger is one of my favorite blue runs, pretty steep for a blue and seldom crowded. the last 50 yards or so is even steeper and empties onto a catwalk going back to the base. Being steep and low in elevation it tends to get icy and can be a bit dicey. On days where it really dumps, most of the blue runs don't get groomed so can be tough if you aren't use to those conditions.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Congo for instance can be a really fun approachable blue bump/glade run.
Agreed. If you want a progression, ski Lizette off of Southern Comfort for the easiest glade, then Pomp next to it. Then move to the lower section of Congo. Then the upper Congo section which is a bit steeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor