• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Latest Swifty gossip:
Swift Current chair (or its replacement?) to be extended “down hill” closer to the Mall and lift ticket sales. It’s not a radical idea.
Old timers will remember when a gondola loading station was located in the Mall building where the current Hummers bar is currently located.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Latest Swifty gossip:
Swift Current chair (or its replacement?) to be extended “down hill” closer to the Mall and lift ticket sales. It’s not a radical idea.
Old timers will remember when a gondola loading station was located in the Mall building where the current Hummers bar is currently located.

Hmmm . . . I can see why they might *want* to do that, but I can't see how they *can* do that, given the skiers who will want to get over to RamCharger. Unless they're using a gondola or have a really significant rise to the first tower, which is placed where the ski valet is now.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hmmm . . . I can see why they might *want* to do that, but I can't see how they *can* do that, given the skiers who will want to get over to RamCharger. Unless they're using a gondola or have a really significant rise to the first tower, which is placed where the ski valet is now.
As often happens, gossip wasn’t accurate.
A six place heated and covered lift will replace Swift Current for the 20-21 season. Base will be relocated to improve skier movement between lifts. I agree, Probably means moving uphill, not down. Also requires a chairbarn like powderseeker etc.
This is in addition to (not in place of) the stage 1 gondola and activities center project still scheduled for completion for the 21-22 season. The Activities center will provide distinct food area options. Not sure what that means but it’s certainly more than a snack bar or hot dog stand.
Stage 2 gondola extension will include a “restaurant” at it’s top.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks @milkman for the ongoing gossip updates!

Wild speculation here, but I'm guessing they just flipped the sequencing of Gondola Stage 1 and Swiftcurrent. Also guessing that they're pushing back the Gondola because it's supposed to integrate with a new hotel over towards/past Explorer, and my suspicion is that building that will take longer than projected, given what seems to be a dearth of construction workers in the area (see Mountain Mall).

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
You’re Exactly right, plus the recognition that The general public really likes these new fast, Heated and covered chairs.
I think Construction issues will continue to negatively impact development in the entire Bozeman region until the next economic slowdown which may be a good thing long term.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Exactly right milkman - current pace of construction has a taper off here shortly for the Bozeman big sky area to be sustainable and not choke its infrastructure and utilities.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
In other construction news the new Highlands lift was spinning with chairs in place today. Not sure if it has been load tested. The new arrangement of the lift pass scanning gates, puts an emphasis on lift corral management and this needs to get better before the hordes show up on the 27th.

Snow conditions are pretty good in places and of course we could use more, fortunately ski traffic is light enough to keep most of the sharks teeth buried.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
So is the new "Vista Hall" I just received an email about (in "The Exchange") the reimagined mountain mall? Have they actually got it done enough to open?

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes. Food Hall seems 100% to me. The old Hummers space and a few other details are not finished but the current setup is far better than the old Mall.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Rated capacity is a 25% increase. My guess is total thruput will be more considering fewer mis-loads, misunloads, fewer wind holds and overall greater reliability. Already looking forward to next season.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
And by email officially from Big Sky:

Traveling at a staggering 1,200 feet per minute (6 meters per second), Swift Current 6 is the fastest six-person chairlift in North America. Featuring ultrawide heated seats and a weatherproof Big Sky Blue Bubble, Swift Current 6 is a major chairlift upgrade servicing Lone Peak from Big Sky’s Mountain Village.

Swift Current 6 is the resort’s next step in creating the most technologically-advanced lift network in North America, a key pillar of the Big Sky 2025 vision.

This new chairlift marks the fifth major Doppelmayr lift infrastructure project at Big Sky in the past four years, each offering innovations that deliver on the Big Sky 2025 vision of creating America’s Alp.

Construction will commence as soon as possible following closing day of the 2019-2020 season on April 19. Learn more about our Big Sky 2025 vision by clicking the link below or watch the Swift Current 6 video here.

At 1200 fpm should drop the travel time from ~9mins to ~7mins. Not super wild about the chair barn at the top, but I guess better than at the bottom?

Video:

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Not just gossip anymore ! :yahoo: :yahoo:

the boys from Doppel might as well get a house here - they’ll be back for the explorer gondi right after that
I was so excited to see the official presser, I wanted to start gossiping at the Christmas table if no news was released. I do thank you for sharing the insider knowledge. I agree @milkman - already excited for next season.

I’ll assume that for next year’s Rut Race, held Labor Day weekend, that Swifty won’t be operating.

Last edited:

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
That chair barn looks like it’s going to be in your face during the last portion up, but the engineering sure looks interesting. I’d like to request they add a potty while they’re up there messing around. That scenic port-a-potty next to the burrito shack doesn’t cut it and the one across from Black Kettle Soup often smells of dirty diapers. Eewww.

And by email officially from Big Sky:

At 1200 fpm should drop the travel time from ~9mins to ~7mins. Not super wild about the chair barn at the top, but I guess better than at the bottom?

Video:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d like to request they add a potty while they’re up there messing around. That scenic port-a-potty next to the burrito shack doesn’t cut it

You must have been good this year Tiki, Ol' Santa granted part of your wish the Burrito Shack and Port-A-Potty are gone from the big bend in Jay Walk.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
High chairs (on the left) in a ski a ski lodge? The really should have hired designers that are skiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online