• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
I’d recommend The Lodge for easier and faster access to skiing. Although not super, a continental breakfast is included and there are a couple hot tubs and an indoor pool. You could walk to the base or take the hotel shuttle if that’s still an amenity there.

Thanks for that. We'll have one non snow sports person in our group, so I'll ask them for some input. The skiers would probably prefer to be on mountain. The Marriott seems a touch nicer. We're there for 5 days so I'm not so worried about a little travel time.

Although one kid has a habit of quitting mid day, and being really close to drop them off at the hotel at/after lunch has some benefits too.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
That’s quite an increase. Who owns Jack Creek Road? Did Boyne buy it or does it belong to Moonlight Club?
We just found out that the cost of our Jacks Creek road pass doubled this year, going from $175 to $325. Starting to make BS less attractive for us Madison County residents.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Thanks for that. We'll have one non snow sports person in our group, so I'll ask them for some input. The skiers would probably prefer to be on mountain. The Marriott seems a touch nicer. We're there for 5 days so I'm not so worried about a little travel time.

Although one kid has a habit of quitting mid day, and being really close to drop them off at the hotel at/after lunch has some benefits too.

I am going to take an opposing view to most and say stay at the Marriott. It is new and nicer than the Lodge, there is close to nothing to do at the mountain at night, so you will take the bus to the Meadows anyway and the bus ride to the mountain in the morning doesn't really take that much longer than the walk from the Lodge.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding the updated Mountain Mall, did M.R. Hummers get the boot? I’ve noticed they are no longer listed on Big Sky’s app or site under dining.
The owner passed three years ago and the place went down hill quickly.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to take an opposing view to most and say stay at the Marriott. It is new and nicer than the Lodge, there is close to nothing to do at the mountain at night, so you will take the bus to the Meadows anyway and the bus ride to the mountain in the morning doesn't really take that much longer than the walk from the Lodge.

Is there really much to do in the Meadows area either? A few shops and restaurants, but nothing to speak of that I remember - but I didn't spend much time down there.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
That’s quite an increase. Who owns Jack Creek Road? Did Boyne buy it or does it belong to Moonlight Club?
Moonlight still owns the road. They had to put over $1M in it this year due to a couple of slides that took away part of the road and I hear they are trying to make up that money, which is really a little silly. They probably sell around 200 road passes a year to county skiers (you have to live in the county and have a season pass at BS to get a road pass), that doesn't put a dent in their road repair cost.

On the one hand, I would like to see the state take over the road and fix the bottom 3 miles the county owns, the down side to that is it would change Ennis forever, and probably not for the better. Housing, or lack thereof, is already an issue for the folks that live here. Open it up as an easy winter gateway to BS and the town would be overrun.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Is there really much to do in the Meadows area either? A few shops and restaurants, but nothing to speak of that I remember - but I didn't spend much time down there.

A lot more than the base area. Far better restaurant selection, a few nice art gallery's, a movie theater, a skating rink. Other than a couple of drastically overpriced and quite frankly crappy restaurants, there is nothing to do at the base.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier

The Wilson is a Marriott Residence Inn in the meadow. It’s very new and is more than a touch nicer than the independently owned lodge near mountain village base. Your non-skier will have access to a free shuttle to go between mountain and meadow regardless of your lodging location.

Until last season, the only commercial thing in Big Sky used to be a bag of Starbucks brand coffee being brewed at Mountain Mocha. Now the meadow has a Marriott. Next year there will be a Montage luxury resort. Times they are a changin in Big Sky. You’ve got more lodging options than last season.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
A lot more than the base area. Far better restaurant selection, a few nice art gallery's, a movie theater, a skating rink. Other than a couple of drastically overpriced and quite frankly crappy restaurants, there is nothing to do at the base.

Yeah - been a long time since I've eaten dinner at the base, vs. going down the hill. (Lone exception - last year for the AFCCG I was sick and ordered room service).

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I did like the waffle fries at Hummers, but was never a frequent flyer there. In checking the app again tonight, under Dining, Hummers still isn’t showing up, but a new place, Westward Social is. Hummers has a significant piece of real estate in Mountain Mall. I was just getting curious what’s to become of it, if anything.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The meadows is where the cool kids are :ogcool:

The Willson isn’t bad, it’s not your typical Marriott but nicely located.
The meadows ( town center ) is a short drive to the lifts by car or use the hotels they just put two vans in service for zero hassle

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier

The non skiing (this season) SO says she'd prefer to be where there was a little something more to do so seems to prefer the Marriott. And she doesn't think its a plus to have one of the kids quit mid day (easily) and then hang out with her. So she wants it to be hard for them to pull that off.....

For completeness I should take a look at condo options, but the choice I normally present to the family is:

hotel + restaurants or
condo + parents cooking

And I'm not sure I'll want to do meal prep on this trip.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@aubergine - you should check with the Marriott and see if they have at least a partial kitchen and yes you should look at available VRBOs. Reason being is with the influx of new skiers here along with Icon and MC some of the restaurants have been overwhelmed with crowds on certain nights. One very popular establishment actually closed their doors due to fact their staff was so burned out, so they just shut the doors for the balance of the season.

On another note the 19 -20 season cranked up yesterday with the new RFD system working flawlessly and relatively good conditions despite the lack of early natural snow.
Those in the parking areas were treated to new shuttles trains and if you are lucky enough to afford a gold pass there is a special parking area close to explorer lift. NOTE - you must be there by 11. After that time they open the lot to other vehicles.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
@aubergine - you should check with the Marriott and see if they have at least a partial kitchen and yes you should look at available VRBOs. Reason being is with the influx of new skiers here along with Icon and MC some of the restaurants have been overwhelmed with crowds on certain nights. One very popular establishment actually closed their doors due to fact their staff was so burned out, so they just shut the doors for the balance of the season.

On another note the 19 -20 season cranked up yesterday with the new RFD system working flawlessly and relatively good conditions despite the lack of early natural snow.
Those in the parking areas were treated to new shuttles trains and if you are lucky enough to afford a gold pass there is a special parking area close to explorer lift. NOTE - you must be there by 11. After that time they open the lot to other vehicles.

Thanks for those pointers.

It's pretty strange that a restaurant quit their biz with staff burnout. Normally if any enterprise is overwhelmed with customers...its'a cue that they can adjust prices upwards.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
The folks living near the new lifts don’t consider them a lift to nowhere. This is a guess but it may be making good on promises made by Property owners before their developer’s demise.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hummers proprietor was a local legend and a good operator. I didn’t think the food changed much but the crowd certainly dropped. I understood Boyne always intended to make it a more family friendly spot. Probably pizza.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seems like supply and demand doesn’t work in parts of MT. Most places the businesses would raise salaries a little to keep employees and raise prices a little to cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online