• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
OK... so I looked at this on the map again. It's a lift from nowhere to the Madison Base. Is this just planning ahead for more housing development in that area? (Or is Google maps really out of date, and there's already housing there?)

Madison base is actually the bottom of it. It goes up to the new housing development near Ulrey's Lake (yes Google Maps is a few years behind.) I will ride because it's a new lift but nothing to get excited about for most skiers.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Skiing the Big C is relatively straight forward. I find A-Z and the Headwaters hike area to be some of the "wildest" skiing in-bounds in the U.S.A.

paulski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any idea of what will be open the week of 12/9 ? last year Andesite Mountain didn't open until the next week-end but maybe that's because Ramcharger was new.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any idea of what will be open the week of 12/9 ? last year Andesite Mountain didn't open until the next week-end but maybe that's because Ramcharger was new.

Pretty sure that was a lift issue. They make snow on Ambush so they should be able to open at least that.

(BTW just saw the new Tram Cam - pretty sweet, and sweet views today all the way to the Tetons).

paulski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Pretty sure that was a lift issue. They make snow on Ambush so they should be able to open at least that.

(BTW just saw the new Tram Cam - pretty sweet, and sweet views today all the way to the Tetons).

Indeed, from the cams it's a gorgeous day and the snow base looks good before more falls next week.

The new Ramcharger lift was inaugurated that week-end (12/15) but there was plenty of snow during the week so I was curious if it's typical to delay Andesite or if it was specific to that year given the inauguration, Sounds like it was the later.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BASE LODGE UPDATE

I took a self guided tour of the base lodge remodel yesterday. Given the current condition of the project they are not even remotely ready for opening day.
My guess for at least restrooms and a place to boot up would be the Christmas Holiday at the earliest, sure hope I’m wrong.
If I was a betting man I would say sometime early ‘20, January / February before completion.

I thought before they even started the project in the spring that given the BOOMING local building environment this would be an enormous undertaking.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given the current condition of the project they are not even remotely ready for opening day.
My guess for at least restrooms and a place to boot up would be the Christmas Holiday at the earliest, sure hope I’m wrong.

I share your pessimism on the base lodge project. There will likely be bigger crowds at the Madison Base in early season.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
....Bigger at Madison, the Summit, Scissor bills and even in the parking lots !
The project manager and those in charge are apparently asleep at the wheel. To not even have a restroom and area to boot up in ?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
That is IF the Madison base is open in the early season.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We just found out that the cost of our Jacks Creek road pass doubled this year, going from $175 to $325. Starting to make BS less attractive for us Madison County residents.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
....Bigger at Madison, the Summit, Scissor bills and even in the parking lots !
The project manager and those in charge are apparently asleep at the wheel. To not even have a restroom and area to boot up in ?

Sounds like some serious mismanagement of the project planning . . . and a remarkable loss of revenue if it's not done for Christmas.

(Though there are restrooms in most of the other buildings, including Summit and Mountain Sports school building.)

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The restrooms in the Mountain Sports building isn't adequate for just that building, I hate to see the crowds for the restrooms until they get the Mall open.

(Though there are restrooms in most of the other buildings, including Summit and Mountain Sports school building.)

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
The restrooms in the Mountain Sports building isn't adequate for just that building, I hate to see the crowds for the restrooms until they get the Mall open.

True.

If they're sensible they'll rent a fleet of port-a-potties for the base. Not exactly what people paying $150/day to ski want to use, but better than really long lines.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of The Lodge at Big Sky hotel vs. the new Marriott Residence Inn / The Wilson downtown?

The latter is a new development.

We're blue level skiers with kids coming during Prez week if that matters.

Both hotels seem to be priced comparably.

Thanks for any color on them!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone comment on the relative merits of The Lodge at Big Sky hotel vs. the new Marriott Residence Inn / The Wilson downtown?

The most obvious is that The Lodge is in the main village and you can walk right to the lifts. The Marriott is 10 or 15 minutes drive down the road, so you'll have to take the bus/shuttle, or drive and park. (And then perhaps shuttle if you don't park close.) Personally, I'd much prefer to stay at The Lodge just for location.

Last edited:

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier

I’d recommend The Lodge for easier and faster access to skiing. Although not super, a continental breakfast is included and there are a couple hot tubs and an indoor pool. You could walk to the base or take the hotel shuttle if that’s still an amenity there.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Regarding the updated Mountain Mall, did M.R. Hummers get the boot? I’ve noticed they are no longer listed on Big Sky’s app or site under dining.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When M. R. Hummers was not owned by Big Sky (back in the day) it had very good food, I can still taste those ribs. It got really crowded, but people had lots of fun. Last season at the Gathering we ate there on our last night. We'd been warned by a local friend, and other than 10 or 15 guys getting loaded and shouting, often profanely, we were the only ones in attendance. It was not at all what I remembered and wouldn't doubt they'd pulled the string on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.