• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
If there was one place that I thought might stay open it was YC - only owners and guests, very few people anyway, and could separate on lifts.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If there was one place that I thought might stay open it was YC - only owners and guests, very few people anyway, and could separate on lifts.

Yeah, but rich people are notoriously fussy about dying.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
YC occupancy rates are up 50% from 2 weeks ago. While most of the club amenities are closed, those there more than likely feel shielded behind the gates with food and supplies being brought in

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems like Big Sky hasn’t completely given up on restarting. Giving option to refund April pass, but leaving open possibility it will be useable.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seems like Big Sky hasn’t completely given up on restarting. Giving option to refund April pass, but leaving open possibility it will be useable.

Over the past few days the signs, bamboo and ropes have been stripped from the mountain. Most of lift operations was let go with a weeks pay on the 15th and it will be hard to get them back. Should the padding be removed from towers and bridges, I wouldn't be optimistic about a reopening.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wonder how many YC or SP members now have some major buyers' remorse? Net worths probably 50% of what they were six months ago, asset deflation, the businesses that made them rich evaporating or at least not operating. And to make matters worse they can't even ski.

Huge bubble is being burst around the industry. Vail lift tickets will be back to $130 in no time.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wonder how many YC or SP members now have some major buyers' remorse? Net worths probably 50% of what they were six months ago, asset deflation, the businesses that made them rich evaporating or at least not operating. And to make matters worse they can't even ski.

Huge bubble is being burst around the industry. Vail lift tickets will be back to $130 in no time.

I suspect those buyers are less worried about a month of lost skiing than about the inevitable drop in their house value, and less worried about that than the rest of their wealth. If you can afford YC one would hope you've got a pretty big cushion of wealth.

As a non-owner, I look at it as a buying opportunity!

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Over the past few days the signs, bamboo and ropes have been stripped from the mountain. Most of lift operations was let go with a weeks pay on the 15th and it will be hard to get them back. Should the padding be removed from towers and bridges, I wouldn't be optimistic about a reopening.

And the Challenger snowstake is gone!

Seems a but unfair to hold out hope of reopening just to get a few people not to seek a refund on their April pass. If they've decided to call it off, that's understandable. But then just say that.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Way I read it, those April passes and or credits can be used for the same pass next year, I don’t think the pass will cost any less 12 months from now.
It was fairly clear with mountain ops and ski patrol striping supplies starting Monday that it was a done deal.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Net worths probably 50% of what they were six months ago, asset deflation, the businesses that made them rich evaporating or at least not operating.

The financial woes of the 1% don't generally bring tears to my eyes.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My eyes aren't welling up with tears either. Some are fastened with frayed lobster pot warp and others with velvet, but we are all tied to the same whipping post when it comes to the economy.

Brilliant! :)

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you for sharing your observations as people ask me about the Wilson. One 14 seat shuttle isn't enough capacity for a hotel the size of the Wilson located near a ski resort. Did you share your comments with Marriott Bonvoy?

I am not a Marriott apologist and don't know who their ISP is in Big Sky, but local internet is painfully slow locally and has fairly frequent interruptions.

Sounds like you had a good visit.

The front desk was dealing with complaints about everything constantly. I figured they didn't need another from me. I forgot all the fun with the false fire alarms too. They're having some kind of sprinkler system leak, which then triggers their fire alarm, which happened like 3 times in an hour... When I went to go check it out (basically the first caused everyone to go down to the lobby) they said its a known issue....

We did have a good visit, and things mostly went smoothly, considering the season got locked down just weeks after, and I would even go back to stay at the Wilson, but with a narrowed expectation of what was on offer. If you're spending big money (or points) some of that will simply reflect their very limited competition, and the difficulty in getting labor on site. A ton of workers we spoke with were commuting from Bozeman, which has to drive up the cost of getting workers.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thank you for sharing your observations as people ask me about the Wilson. One 14 seat shuttle isn't enough capacity for a hotel the size of the Wilson located near a ski resort. Did you share your comments with Marriott Bonvoy?

I am not a Marriott apologist and don't know who their ISP is in Big Sky, but local internet is painfully slow locally and has fairly frequent interruptions.

Sounds like you had a good visit.

Two blocks away is the regular community bus service up and down the hill Wilson should have advised you of their schedule.

Sounds like Wilson needs a bigger bus too.

Yes BS intermediate runs have a few steep sections that folks find unexpectedly difficult.

Thanks for the info. Lots of folks are interested in The Wilson.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, some areas in the Cascades received 2' of snow in a 24 hour period yesterday/last night , and there's more on the way all week.

And to think my last day this season was at Big Sky on 3/6/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.