• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
New question for the thread, where are the best places to eat in Big Sky both on and off the hill. I will be there next weekend with my son (9) and am trying to figure out good places to go for lunch and dinner.

For dinner - all places I've enjoyed at one point or another; only the Cabin is "on hill" - Mountain Village:
Buck's T-4
Rainbow Ranch
Lotus Pad (Thai)
Olive B's Bistro
Gallatin Riverhouse (BBQ)
The Cabin

For lunch - Yeti dogs, Whiskey Montana Jack's, Shedhorn Grill.

(I'm missing the burrito shack and black kettle soup this year . . . )

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
In addition to Skidrew's suggestions off hill:

Horn & Cantle should you win the lottery or need to impress your bride
The Corral is a fun old style roadhouse if you don't mind mounted fish and game animals leering at you.
The Riverhouse gets crowded especially on weekends, but the chicken dinner is the best value in Big Sky.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
How's the Lodge at Big Sky? How's the Marriott hotel over there that's a mile or two from base area?

Looking to go for first time in early March and the days I want to go it doesn't appear any of the hotels/lodges tied to Big Sky's website have availability (Summit, etc). Thanks.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Marriott- AKA the Wilson is in town center, 6 miles down the road. They run a shuttle right to the slopes and rooms are new but so so from what I’m hearing.

mmascolino

Booting up
Skier
The Lodge is totally adequate. It is a short walk to the lift. The included breakfast was adequate. The hot tubs were hot. Oh and the price was right.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
How's the Lodge at Big Sky? How's the Marriott hotel over there that's a mile or two from base area?

Looking to go for first time in early March and the days I want to go it doesn't appear any of the hotels/lodges tied to Big Sky's website have availability (Summit, etc). Thanks.

If you've only been looking on line, give the reservations number a call - the online availability doesn't seem to be very accurate.

That said, it's also possible things are pretty well booked. In the 10 years I've been going, the more you have to book well in advance.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
The Lodge is a former Holiday Inn Express. A bit dated but the location is very convenient.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
We've been in Jackson Hole the past 5 days and arrive at Big Sky on Wednesday. We've received almost 6' of snow since we got here and the conditions have been unreal but I've been watching BS's daily snow totals and have been shocked by the discrepancy between the 2 resorts when they are relatively close geographically. Is this normal or was this just a really narrow storm track this past week?

How is coverage up there? The first day I got here I definitely found some rocks off-piste in spite of the 18" of fresh powder on day 1 but now coverage is excellent so I've been able to ski pretty much anywhere without worry.

We are stoked to get up to BS as it looks like a great mountain!

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier

The Lodge at Big Sky is fine. It’s independently owned. Rooms are older and large. Most have mini fridge, sink, microwave. For me, the included breakfast is disappointing, but the price is often acceptable so close to the mountain. I’ve been told you’ll get their best rate booking on their site. The Marriott (The Wilson) is in the Meadow Village area. It’s new and built for extended stays (it’s a Residence Inn) hence you’ll have a small or full kitchen depending on which room you choose (Studio, 1BR, 2BR). If you want to stay on the mountain, call Boyne’s Big Sky reservations directly about availability. Their reservations application can be wonky.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Surf ski - even with another 6’ we would still have plenty of rocks a showing :geek:

4.5 hrs away we sometimes get the same weather systems and this year ......not.
Similar to big and little cottonwood canyons when one gets the goods and the other gets skunked.
Anyway IMO - mountain is skiing well, as always bring some P Tex
Posts earlier here should be some indication that BS typically underestimates totals.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Booked my flights heading to Big Sky for the first time in my life, about 28 years after I started researching trail map brochures (age 10) and fell in love with it and Lone Peak. I'm sure I'll say it after the March trip, but what took me so long!!!

United miles were quite cheap so used that for my wife and I. Was looking at a trail map last night and one of my young ones said Dad look they have triple diamonds haha. She'll be skiing her first double diamond this weekend in Wausau, WI and has been all about this stuff since a trip we took over holidays. That got me to book the flights, my first triple diamond lol.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
You'll like it there. Great variety of runs. It definitely needed snow when I was there 2 weeks ago, but hopefully the snow of the last couple of weeks has it back to shape. The restaurant side of the mountain is a bit disappointing, and most of the restaurants in Mountain Village and Mountain Meadow are small. Reservations where taken are helpful. There is a good little brewery down the hill as well.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
I hit BS on Wednesday under bluebird sunny skies. What a mountain! I skied hard all day except for a quick lunch break. I took a look at the avy debris field at the top of powder seeker and was glad nobody was around when it came down. Rode the lone peak tram up (sight seeing only open) -- the view was amazing. I will admit I got in a little over my head on the challenger lift but made it down without incident. BS Slarver and Talisman, sorry I never could hook up with you guys. BS is the real deal, will definitely be back for sure.

Last edited:

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah - that was a mess. I think folks don’t realize you can’t do the same things when there are 2-3x the number of skiers. This also applies to waiting for your buddies right in front of the lift entrance.

FWIW today they had some more racks set up there …
I think some folks, especially racers, just drop their skis regardless of spa availability in racks.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
The triple blacks were all double blacks last season. So just think "2018-2019" and you'll be fine. :roflmao:

More seriously, they're the harder double blacks with more exposure.
Triple blacks are what were previously double blacks with a asterisk. * Serious Big Mountain runs, self arrest skills needed, avalanche awareness required, Avi gear encouraged plus go with someone who has been there before. It’s about more than just steep.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@milkman is correct - the double and triple diamonds at BS are the real deal, don’t forget to bring your A game.
Got to spend a day at the club today for a day of pampering and a side order of 6-12 of POW
The Icing on the cake was meeting Hank Kashiwa after an amazing day

Status
Not open for further replies.