• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Haul rope going in today.

On the website it refers to a "sand line", which I assume is used to then pull the haul rope/cable - is that right? Basically put a lighter rope on first and use that to keep the haul rope out of the snow and "sand"?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sand Line - 6x7 (Galvanized & Bright)
This construction of wire rope is used where ropes are dragged on the ground or over rollers, and resistance to wear and abrasion are important factors. Given the excellent spooling characteristics and ease of splicing this makes sandline the perfect choice for swab rigs and workover rigs. The wires are quite large and will stand a great deal of wear. In fact, this construction is sometimes called "coarse laid" because of the large wires. The 6x7 classification is a stiff rope and needs sheaves and drums of large size. It will not withstand bending stresses as well as ropes with smaller wires, with the resulting higher percentage of load carried by each wire, a larger factor of safety should be considered with 6x7 cables that with cables having a larger number of wires.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but plans for a new Montage resort broke ground with a target opening of 2021.
https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article101663.html

Will be good to have it located at a different "base" area - hopefully will spread out skiers a bit during the 9am rush, although hotel guests may find the lifts from the Spanish Peaks base not to get them where they want to go fast enough.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Montage operates quality properties. This hotel plus the smaller hotels proposed on the Moonlight side are game changers for BS. They are a good size for small summer business meetings too. A very profitable market segment.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
On the website it refers to a "sand line", which I assume is used to then pull the haul rope/cable - is that right? Basically put a lighter rope on first and use that to keep the haul rope out of the snow and "sand"?

In the logging industry the "Sand Line" that you are talking about is called Straw Line and is 5/16" thick and flexible, so compared to the Grapple Yarder's Haulback Line and Main Line, it is like straw in size and strength and weight.

The straw line is pulled off of the spool on the Grapple Yarder by hand and dragged out to the back end (200-1000'), thru a block (pulley) and back to the Yarder and hooked up to the Haulback spool. The Straw Line is then spooled in and the attached heavy Haulback Line follows it out and back to the Yarder. Then the Haulback Line is hooked to the grapple and even heavier Main Line...and now you're loggin.

Stringing chairlift Main Line would be somewhat similar to the logging description, above.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm kind of wondering what they're going to do at the bottom of Tippy's Tumble - bit of a dropoff there. Any insights from locals?

Tippys.PNG

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I agree this looks like a hole. Maybe more grading to come. Ramcharger 8 cable installation reported to be ahead of schedule.
Playing golf at home now, looking forward to skiing next month.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree this looks like a hole. Maybe more grading to come. Ramcharger 8 cable installation reported to be ahead of schedule.
Playing golf at home now, looking forward to skiing next month.

One would hope. Might be tough to fill in the part under the lift, depending on how quickly the chairs get up. .Hard to tell from the cams. I wonder if they can fill in the (skier's) right side and plant some trees or something (a snow fence this year).

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is that the bottom of Big Horn, @Talisman ? (I know the other is Elk Park Ridge)

Even lower in elevation, Little Calf where it crosses below Grizzly. The groomers seemed to be packing the low angle trails including the ones that won't open until Ram Charger is turning, (unless Low Dog to Thunder Wolf becomes and early season option.)

Crazy number of people skinning in Bee Hive Basin on Sunday once the temperatures got into double digits.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like Big Sky will have four lifts going tomorrow: Swifty, Powder Seeker, Challenger and Explorer in addition to a magic carpet or two. Should be plenty of skiing for opening day and a far cry from the years when the mountain opened with man made snow and the magic carpets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid