• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Recently booked plane tix to BZN for 3/3 weekend. From prior research seems like March is usually a safe bet for good snow coverage?

Anyone have suggestions for lodging? Will have rental car, and not looking for anything fancy. My guess is that Airbnb would be the place to look...

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Recently booked plane tix to BZN for 3/3 weekend. From prior research seems like March is usually a safe bet for good snow coverage?

Anyone have suggestions for lodging? Will have rental car, and not looking for anything fancy. My guess is that Airbnb would be the place to look...

Yeah, generally speaking that's a great time. Filled out by then but not starting to melt. I usually go later in March and even then it's excellent, absent a warm spell and snow drought.

All depends on budget in terms of where you stay … staying in the town down the hill is a 20 minute drive or so.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Like to keep it under $100/night. By "town down the hill", I'm assuming you mean town of Big Sky, and not Gallatin Gateway.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Like to keep it under $100/night. By "town down the hill", I'm assuming you mean town of Big Sky, and not Gallatin Gateway.

Yeah - that's what I meant. I've stayed on/near mountain, so can't offer much specific advice . . .

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

There are quite a few on airbnb at your price point. Some even up the hill in the resort. Speaking of "The Hill", looks like there is a condo or two available at "The Hill Condos". Be careful and ask the owner about hot water. I stayed in a condo there my first year skiing at Big Sky (2013) and my particular condo had a very small water heater. Good for about 3 minutes. If you are a get in and get out person, that works. I like a nice long hot shower :)

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
There are quite a few on airbnb at your price point. Some even up the hill in the resort. Speaking of "The Hill", looks like there is a condo or two available at "The Hill Condos". Be careful and ask the owner about hot water. I stayed in a condo there my first year skiing at Big Sky (2013) and my particular condo had a very small water heater. Good for about 3 minutes. If you are a get in and get out person, that works. I like a nice long hot shower :)

Booked an airbnb in town for that weekend. A lot (as in "all") of the cheap-ish condos up the hill i searched on airbnb also tack on a $100-$150 cleaning charge. :eek:

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big Sky reported 12" of snow today, with about another foot forecast to fall over the next few days.

Looks like the northern Rockies are getting a nice preseason dump.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Snow conditions are very good at Big Sky, and getting better. Lines are still short.

Love it. Heading up just prior to the new year. Sounds like I can safely pack my soft snow skis?

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
Will be checking out Big Sky for the first time Jan 30th - Feb 3rd. Very excited!!

Nice to see you guys are getting some serious amounts of snow.

Hows the place skiing right now?

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
A friend visiting from Phoenix described conditions at Big Sky Wednesday as phenomenal. We are suppose to be in our dry period yet both Bridger (which is skiing great, also) & Big Sky are getting a couple dumps a week. You'll probably see the best late January coverage Big Sky has had for a decade.

James

Out There
Instructor
A friend visiting from Phoenix described conditions at Big Sky Wednesday as phenomenal. We are suppose to be in our dry period yet both Bridger (which is skiing great, also) & Big Sky are getting a couple dumps a week. You'll probably see the best late January coverage Big Sky has had for a decade.
Wow!
Maybe @Goose could go there instead of Telluride.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wish I could redirect my club's Taos trip coming up in 2 weeks!

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Sky was skiing great and got another two feet in the past two days. Too bad I am out of town working. The Lone Moose lift and trail pod just opened today after being down for two weeks. Grizz, Bob Cat and Lone Moose as untracked stashes.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Big Sky was skiing great and got another two feet in the past two days. Too bad I am out of town working. The Lone Moose lift and trail pod just opened today after being down for two weeks. Grizz, Bob Cat and Lone Moose as untracked stashes.

Lift broken or not enough cover? Other than for condo access I’ve rarely found a reason to ski there (I think I’ve gone up low-fat a couple times when Thunderwolf was down)

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
Awesome - 6 days and counting till we are there !
The forecast for the week is snow Friday with a chance of snow Saturday through Tuesday. The temperatures are to remain well below freezing (though not insanely cold) most of the week so even if Big Sky doesn't get much snow after Friday everything should remain soft during your visit.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lift broken or not enough cover? Other than for condo access I’ve rarely found a reason to ski there (I think I’ve gone up low-fat a couple times when Thunderwolf was down)

There is plenty of snow cover, the drive motor on the Lone Moose had some issues that took awhile to repair. The Lone Moose pod can be a great powder stash depending on snow fall and wind. Once the lift was operating again the untracked snow was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online