• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

arl6507

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Now that some deals are starting to pop up to make way for new skis, I'm looking to move on from my Kastle XX110s that I've ridden the past few years.

About me: 33, 6'4", 220+lb. I'm leaner than my weight would suggest and am more athletic than most. I don't know how good my form is but, aside from drops greater than 15', there isn't much I won't try. My first resort on any line is to try and muscle it instead of finesse it. I live in the east, but ski half my time in the west. Unless there's a good storm you'll find me in the trees or hiking/ducking lines.

Current skis: Kastle XX110 in 190cm. I've had fun on these, though there are times when I've cursed them. My least favorite part is the symmetrical shape that I don't particularly enjoy in powder or in bumps. Their swing weight and maneuverability are the things I like most about them, especially considering their size. I don't like the large turning radius that is kind of boring. If you're carving any turn tighter/wider than that radius then the chattering is a little concerning. They also suck at narrow icy chutes that you're trying to be delicate in.
Previous skis: 4FRNT Gaucho 186cm: These were also fun. I didn't like the tip shape, but these were the first skis I ever rode that I noticed made blasting through crud easier. I had to retire them after only like 30 days because of what I thought was questionable durability.
Previous previous ski: Atomic Access 191cm. I probably had the most fun on these, and were the last sticks I rode before I got into powerlifting. I loved their quickness and shape / camber profile and were a blast for 60% of what I rode. The other 40% could be terrifying because, even at just 180 lbs, they weren't nearly enough ski.

I'm looking in the high 90s to 110 mm waist. Because of their flex patterns that I've read about, the ones I'm eyeing to snag on sale are the 102 Ranger FRs in 184, the Dictator 3.0s in 186, and the Armada Invictus 108ti in 188. Since I won't get to demo the skis first (I tried to get to a couple this year, but it never worked out) I'd rather stay away from new skis (like the Enforcer 104) that I likely won't be able to get on sale.

Are there any others I should consider?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m 6’2 210...so my list is always different than most on here, (My one ski quiver is a 191 Volkl Katana)

Here’s my short list...lots of deals on new old stock...

Volkl Mantra
Blizzard Cochise/Rustlers
Nordica Enforcer (pick a width)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with the “hard to get deals” on Enforcer 104 as it’s a 2020 model so maybe 10-15% off tops right now. Noticed when I was on Corbetts.com site this morning, they still had stock of 177cm, 185cm and 191cm of the 2019 Enforcer 110 with Griffin 13 bindings for $669 CAN/$512 US with free shipping which is a great deal!

If you were in mostly open areas, go for the 191cm and mostly in tighter spots/a more playful feel, do the 185cm.

Cochise also available in the 185cm at the same $512 US price with Griffon 13 Bindings from Corbetts right now. A stiffer, more directional ski that is a bit more serious than the Enforcer 110. At your size the 185cm would perfect.

For your “you’ll find me in the trees” usage and description of where/how you like to ski, the Enforcer 110 in 185cm is the ski I’d bet you’d be happy with. Easy to swivel in trees and bumps with it’s rocker profile/flex but solid/beefy enough for crud or tracked out powder. It has a flexible turning radius that’s stable at speed but can still do shorter turns when desired. And it’s available at a killer price still which is always good!

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd skip the Fischer Ranger 102fr and look for a 188cm Ranger 108ti instead.
I’m 6’3/220- but have a couple of decades on you so probably know where near as strong. I had to rent a pair of skis earlier this year for a few days and chose the Fischer Ranger 98ti in 188. I planned on using them for 1 day and then swap to the 108’s. I didn’t because enjoyed the 98s so much and have been looking to score a pair and retire my older cambered Mantras as my everywhere but Japan ski. Having said that I was in Hokkaido skiing very dry knee deep powder as well as on piste. They are light and I would use them for resort and touring but they might get thrown around a bit in heavier crud.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big fan of my Ranger 115 XTi as east coast powder/crud skis. 60 yo, but physically fit, 6'6", 230 lb and ski them in 188 cm. I got them at Colorado Ski Shop in MA. The new 115 is an FR, so the 108Ti might be better for your size and strength.

I would like to demo the much discussed Dictators some day! Paging @Guy in Shorts

TS
A

arl6507

Skier
Even though the skis I listed are all fairly light, I'm apprehensive about going less than 2000g/ski based on some of the stuff I've read about going any lighter than that.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Even though the skis I listed are all fairly light, I'm apprehensive about going less than 2000g/ski based on some of the stuff I've read about going any lighter than that.

This makes sense since a lot of us smaller (6'1" 180 lbs) people ski the same size or one size smaller you would want something that's not going to turn into a noddle but is still maneuverable in tight spots. Are the new bonafides any good?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
You and I sound pretty similar. I would second the Enforcer 110 (or if you’re ok without a discount the 104).

Even less likely to get a discount - ON3P wrenegade line has metal this year. K2 Minbender 99 or 108 could also be worth a look.

TS
A

arl6507

Skier
Dictator 3.0 skiers know who they are and you fit the bill. A big mountain ski that never lets you down. Gets my vote. Swiss made magic.

How do they do in trees/tight situations? Your opinion as a fellow big man?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dictator 3.0 skiers know who they are and you fit the bill. A big mountain ski that never lets you down. Gets my vote. Swiss made magic.

Hi. I know you have liked the Katana a lot, as have I ( even tho I'm not a big guy). To me, it's good for powder/crud or slush at speed, maneuverable and very forgiving. The Blistergear folk say the Dictator 3.0 is not a forgiving ski, though a good one. How does it compare for you to the Katana (both 184 and 191)?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
How do they do in trees/tight situations? Your opinion as a fellow big man?
Love untracked powder so I spend a lot time in the trees. Only pulled this ski when we get sweet western like powder conditions or spring soft corn. They made it out 28 days of 164 day season or 17% of the time including the Pugski day at MRG. Paved my way thru the wide turn bump line on @Josh Matta tails then tightened it up trying to stay close to @Tony S as he hugged the zipperline. These boards respond to driver input. A ski that will never let you down can also be described as unforgiving by some but I never found this to be true. When in the air you have full confidence the ski will eat up the landing without missing a beat. Poor choice as a daily East Coast driver as they are no fun under our often hard conditions YMMV.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Hi. I know you have liked the Katana a lot, as have I ( even tho I'm not a big guy). To me, it's good for powder/crud or slush at speed, maneuverable and very forgiving. The Blistergear folk say the Dictator 3.0 is not a forgiving ski, though a good one. How does it compare for you to the Katana (both 184 and 191)?
My 184 Katana V-werks rank as #1 in my heart. Hate the fact that the 182 Dictators often get pulled over my favorite all-time powder ski. Even with demo bindings I have yet to get anyone to take them out so can only give one perspective. Great outlier ski for those that looking for serious fun.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm 6' 250(ish). I have 4 year old Stockli SR88 as my daily driver, Head iRally as my carver and planning on buying the Nordica 104 Free at some point this winter.

TS
A

arl6507

Skier
Love untracked powder so I spend a lot time in the trees. Only pulled this ski when we get sweet western like powder conditions or spring soft corn. They made it out 28 days of 164 day season or 17% of the time including the Pugski day at MRG. Paved my way thru the wide turn bump line on @Josh Matta tails then tightened it up trying to stay close to @Tony S as he hugged the zipperline. These boards respond to driver input. A ski that will never let you down can also be described as unforgiving by some but I never found this to be true. When in the air you have full confidence the ski will eat up the landing without missing a beat. Poor choice as a daily East Coast driver as they are no fun under our often hard conditions YMMV.

Have you had any suspicions about poor durability? I've read that the Candide series has questionable durability and I'm wondering if it's specific to that ski

Sbum02030

Booting up
Skier
If you can find em, a pair of Dynastar Legend Pros are amazing. 2 sheets of metal, 192cm only, 105 waist.

That being said, they're a handful in anything narrow and very heavy.

Still, they're absolute missiles and there is a reason you see a lot of FWT Dynastar athletes on them.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Have you had any suspicions about poor durability? I've read that the Candide series has questionable durability and I'm wondering if it's specific to that ski
I ski the Dictators hard with 59 days and over 710k vertical feet on them over the past two seasons. Top sheets got a bit chipped up on the edges with the rest of the ski holding up well. The M5 Mantra has been my workhorse checking in at 112 days with over 1.4 million vertical feet.

Sponsor

Staff online