• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big but roadable?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I’ve used a variety of lighter weight Specialized tires in 2” width over the years as a sloppy weather tire. The lighter casing is more pliable, thus rolls faster.

I had them on an older gen S-Works Epic- probably something like a 71 degree head angle - net / net it was probably a modern day gravel bike with straight bars.

Howard Grotts and SavilBlunk are locals. They regularly show up at more aggressive group road rides on their HT with off road tires and dominate.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is no 'try' :)

That reminds me of the late and lamented Conti Cyclocross Speed. Mental note taken.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@cantunamunch Ya, they are on the Redwood. I put a set of 700c wheels on it over the winter with the intent of riding it this year with a pair of 43mm GravelKings.. but the bike just didn't look right. So it's back to the 27.5" SE2s till the rear wears down a bit more and I swap to set of 2.4" Rekons I picked up for a good price over the winter.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have a *fast* alternative to Schwalbe Big Ones? Looking at 29 x 2.3
You already picked something, but in case someone has the same question,
Bicycle Rolling Resistance has a filter option for “avaliable sizes” , so you can easily pull all the tires they tested that are available in your preferred size, and they will be ranked for rolling resistance.

Granted, in this particular size, you probably want o look at both MTB and Gravel lists, but still pretty quick and easy.

IMG_5708.png

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You already picked something, but in case someone has the same question,
Bicycle Rolling Resistance has a filter option for “avaliable sizes” , so you can easily pull all the tires they tested that are available in your preferred size, and they will be ranked for rolling resistance.

Granted, in this particular size, you probably want o look at both MTB and Gravel lists, but still pretty quick and easy.

Not sure if you noticed - open up the filters and the Big One Liteskins have *not* been bettered. Since 2016!

I thought that was a little bit unbelievable so ...this thread.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I did notice. Schwalbe had some very fast compounds and casings in the 2010’s and since then, their newer stuff has not been scoring quite as well. Now, there might be durability or grip improvements, so all in all they might be better tires, but for pure rolling redistance those old,Schwalbe MTB tires were very good.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's an interesting bike for sure. I quite like it as a commuter and low key adventure bike. Good enough for most things and it will most certainly spice up any mellow dirt since it's fully rigid. The top tube is way up there so the standover height is tall.. I do wish I had gotten the Large instead of the XL, the geometry numbers are so close to each other. Just checked the size chart again and it looks like they adjusted it since I bought mine.

Sponsor

Staff online