• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear Mountain SoCal opinions

jontaejones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

I have a question about the ski quality at Big Bear Mountain in SoCal, especially from anybody who has any East Coast skiing experience.

I was thinking of going out there to meet a friend, but I'm on the East Coast.

I've read that the mountain is pretty small.

Is it any better/different than the mountains in NY State/Vermont? If not, I'm wondering if it's worth it to fly all the way out to go to a mountain that is similar to what I can drive to in 2 hours here.

Of course, if it was going to be Mammoth or something, that would obviously be different than anything here.

Opinions?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there any reason you can't go to Mammoth? Since your flying across the country and all. I have no east coast experience so can't comment on comparisons.

TS
J

jontaejones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is there any reason you can't go to Mammoth? Since your flying across the country and all. I have no east coast experience so can't comment on comparisons.

My friends are from SoCal, that's not where they're going.

How would a place like Bear Mountain compare to Mammoth?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apples to Zucchini!

If you are going to go to Bear, you can also go to Snow Summit on the same ticket. They have a shuttle between the two areas. Each one has a different vibe, and there terrain is mostly all open, so that's a positive. Plus its a lot closer than MM.

But, MM isn't that far away either. Too far for a day trip yes, but totally worth a weekend or few days mid week. And its soooo much bigger, has more variety, and way more snow.

If your primary reason to come out is to visit your friends, then of course go where they can go. Mammoth is awesome.