• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokanduis

Booting up
Skier
For those of you who don’t want to invest in season passes this year, there is always the Snowjam card. It gets you half price lift tickets at Snow Valley on 1st,3rd, 5th days out... and FREE lift tickets on 2nd, 4th, 6th ... etc. this pattern lasts the whole season and the card is $25. However, SV is small and has gentle terrain. It does have snowmaking though so gets open when Baldy doesn’t
The Running Springs Saturday Farmer's Market hands out 1 mid-week Snow Valley pass for each $25 one spends, through the end of September, I believe. The $399 Mt. High season pass provides for 3 SV tickets plus 3 mid-week passes at Powder Alliance resorts like China Peak CA, Sierra at Tahoe, Monarch CO, Loveland CO, Bridger Bowl MT, Timberline OR . Angel Fire NM, etc. Fortunately China Peak escaped getting torched by the Creek Fire, which is causing the worst air quality in history in Mammoth Lakes, about 20 miles to the northeast.. Fortunately the firefighters at China Peak were warned in time about the "munitions bunker" holding ordnance for "avalanche mitigation." Quite a boom resulted.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Per Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club FB page, the fire went through and the buildings at Kratka, Buckhorn and Waterman are OK (for now) thanks to the firefighters. Video of Kratka's lodge -- you can see the old lift through the smoke
HUGE KUDOS to the brave and dedicated firefighters who put out the spot fires at Waterman, set backfires around the Buckhorn Lodge, and saved the Kratka lodge. On the Buckhorn FB a few days earlier, the poster commented that the Forest Service firefighters knew well how much Buckhorn means to club members.

I'm not a fire expert by any means, but it seems like maybe the Kratka lodge was an unnecessary distraction for firefighters... the Forest Service has refused to consider new leases, right? So the lodge is just sitting there slowly deteriorating anyway? I have tremendous respect for the wildland fire fighters fighting this and all the other fires, and I'd hate to think of them facing risk just to save derelict buildings.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a firefighter killed in the Eldorado fire yesterday, RIP. Fire has burned northward down the ridge to the 38 again, hopefully they can hold the line and keep it out of Barton Creek to the east.
Very sad news, sad situation.
We need something other than a like button sometimes. Today was one of those days.

On another note, we have been super loosey goosey on BB meetups. With a reservation system, we may need to actually plan!

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is not looking good for Mountain High right now, tonight will be a long night for many folks as these fires move quickly and it's only 5 miles from the resort (8 from Wrightwood). Mt Wilson is also still at a very high risk. Temps and winds are to begin dropping by Saturday afternoon. Winter can't come soon enough for more reasons other than skiing.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Is this thread real? Is there gonna be snow in our future? Am I gonna go skiing this year? Hard to imagine right now.

I didn't buy a pass this spring for the first time in a while. Hopefully that was a mistake...

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this thread real? Is there gonna be snow in our future? Am I gonna go skiing this year? Hard to imagine right now.

I didn't buy a pass this spring for the first time in a while. Hopefully that was a mistake...
I hope there's some skiing. I'm not anticipating a lot but if I can get 10 days in then I'll probably be content. What I cant decide is if i should use my Ikon pass or just buy the snowjam card and mainly BB, Snow Valley, and Mtn High

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I hope there's some skiing. I'm not anticipating a lot but if I can get 10 days in then I'll probably be content. What I cant decide is if i should use my Ikon pass or just buy the snowjam card and mainly BB, Snow Valley, and Mtn High
I'm sure I'll just decide as late as possible if I'm gonna go and buy a ticket online. Adjust according reality just like everything else in 2020.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure I'll just decide as late as possible if I'm gonna go and buy a ticket online. Adjust according reality just like everything else in 2020.
Be careful with that plan, they are limiting day ticket sales. You’ll probably be ok on a weekday but weekends are unlikely. Big Bear has been open for business and busy as all get out this summer.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Be careful with that plan, they are limiting day ticket sales. You’ll probably be ok on a weekday but weekends are unlikely. Big Bear has been open for business and busy as all get out this summer.
Yeah I'll be watching careful a few days ahead. And won't be that bothered if it doesn't work out.
It's weekdays only for me at BB/SS. Haven't ever skied the place on a weekend and don't intend to.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually ski weekdays now that I am retired, but I skied plenty of weekends at Summit. It's fine in the AM and if you know how to work it ... good until 1:00. Then we quit and went home and hand lunch. My concern is how busy BB has been this summer; it's like we are the only game in town. It's a completely different vibe with walks in the forest ending in giant piles of trash. I hear Mammoth is having the same issues with litter. It's a bit concerning as we roll into fall and winter. I am quite ready for ski season because, generally, skiers are fairly respectful and ... yes, that includes snowboarders. All I know is that last season finished with a bang for me - the French Alps - but ended far too early! Come on, winter!

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
For those who still read actual magazines, there is a nice write up with good pics for the SoCal ski scene in POWDER magazine. The article is pretty much focused on Baldy. Its only $10.99 newsstand so go and get it.

Also regarding Kratka, it was included in Watermans lease so it can reopen if a lot of cash is put into it. Although highly unlikely.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who still read actual magazines, there is a nice write up with good pics for the SoCal ski scene in POWDER magazine. The article is pretty much focused on Baldy. Its only $10.99 newsstand so go and get it.

Also regarding Kratka, it was included in Watermans lease so it can reopen if a lot of cash is put into it. Although highly unlikely.

My goodness that's a frosty cover photo! :geek::roflmao:

The main "Outland Empire" photo is gorgeous! I'll pick up the issue if I ever venture to a store that sells mags.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you guys read Mtn. High "Slopetime" pass? It appears to be 199 for the year IF you have a current IKON or EPIC pass. Do you think if you used the Mtn High pass would it count against your IKON pass? I'd like to defer my IKON next year but ski more Mtn High, Valley, and maybe Baldy

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry for the bold, I didnt notice it before I posted

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Have you guys read Mtn. High "Slopetime" pass? It appears to be 199 for the year IF you have a current IKON or EPIC pass. Do you think if you used the Mtn High pass would it count against your IKON pass? I'd like to defer my IKON next year but ski more Mtn High, Valley, and maybe Baldy
They have no official affiliation or reciprocity with AMC or VR, so they would have no way of knowing if you defer or not, they just want to sell another pass. Might be a decent add on, or hedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online