• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Considering we’ve had consecutive days of 112* & 113* here :eek: I’m certainly looking forward to any weather closer to the temperature of my freezer than my oven!

I’ll be skiing Baldy a good bit as I’m sure they’ll operate if at all possible. I also got the Ikon, but we’re going to wait & see how things go. Obviously I hope we’re skiing this winter!

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
Definitely need a cool down right now. Looking forward to some warm up run around Thanksgiving at Snow Summit - which is when they usually open Summit Run & Miracle Mile.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We haven't bought any pass this year, but still hoping to ski!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely need a cool down right now. Looking forward to some warm up run around Thanksgiving at Snow Summit - which is when they usually open Summit Run & Miracle Mile.
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can some runs together this year!

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We haven't bought any pass this year, but still hoping to ski!
For those of you who don’t want to invest in season passes this year, there is always the Snowjam card. It gets you half price lift tickets at Snow Valley on 1st,3rd, 5th days out... and FREE lift tickets on 2nd, 4th, 6th ... etc. this pattern lasts the whole season and the card is $25. However, SV is small and has gentle terrain. It does have snowmaking though so gets open when Baldy doesn’t

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For those of you who don’t want to invest in season passes this year, there is always the Snowjam card. It gets you half price lift tickets at Snow Valley on 1st,3rd, 5th days out... and great lift tickets on 2nd, 4th, 6th ... etc. this pattern lasts the whole season and the card is $25. However, SV is small and has gentle terrain. It does have snowmaking though so gets open when Baldy doesn’t
Didnt I read that Snowjam filed for bankruptcy a few months ago?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowjam 2020 - Nov 13-15th 2020

Maybe you are thinking of OnTheSnow/Mountain News Corporation?
You might be right, I just looked it up and it does appear to be up and running. Definitely a back up plan if I defer the IKON for next year

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might be right, I just looked it up and it does appear to be up and running. Definitely a back up plan if I defer the IKON for next year
FYI. The cards are only on sale for a limited time. My son missed the deadline last year. I edited my above post because stupid auto correct changed the word free to great. Every other lift ticket is free with the snow jam card.

Here is a link to their site. There are also discounts on Summit/Bear and if you go to the show in either SD or LV, they give away free lift tickets to Bear, Snow Valley, Brianhead, and Eagle Point. You can also enter various contests for ski trips. We used to always go just for fun. I may go to the one in Las Vegas this year since my son will be living there. It depends on the Covid situation.

Snowjam card

Last edited:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
While I am not able to find any information as such, but judging from the fire map Waterman may be in serious peril, if not altogether gone. And the Bobcat fire is only 3% contained. The El Dorado fire near Big Bear is 63% contained and hopefully the northern perimeter is being held.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. We are definitely keeping our ears and eyes open in Big Bear but it is looking better. Now, the air quality is a different story.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, looks like Waterman, Buckhorn lodge, and the old Kratka Ridge are all within the perimeter. And a few hours ago they extended the evacuation warning to include Wrightwood :( Stay safe up there!

val

Booting up
Skier
Per Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club FB page, the fire went through and the buildings at Kratka, Buckhorn and Waterman are OK (for now) thanks to the firefighters. Video of Kratka's lodge -- you can see the old lift through the smoke

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
There was a firefighter killed in the Eldorado fire yesterday, RIP. Fire has burned northward down the ridge to the 38 again, hopefully they can hold the line and keep it out of Barton Creek to the east.

Nokanduis

Booting up
Skier
Per Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club FB page, the fire went through and the buildings at Kratka, Buckhorn and Waterman are OK (for now) thanks to the firefighters. Video of Kratka's lodge -- you can see the old lift through the smoke

HUGE KUDOS to the brave and dedicated firefighters who put out the spot fires at Waterman, set backfires around the Buckhorn Lodge, and saved the Kratka lodge. On the Buckhorn FB a few days earlier, the poster commented that the Forest Service firefighters knew well how much Buckhorn means to club members.

Nokanduis

Booting up
Skier
There was a firefighter killed in the Eldorado fire yesterday, RIP. Fire has burned northward down the ridge to the 38 again, hopefully they can hold the line and keep it out of Barton Creek to the east.
RIP to the brave firefighter and big condolences to his loved ones and family. My daughter lives over the ridge from the El Dorado Fire in Running Springs, notes that she sees a dozen++ flights daily by "air support," mostly DC-10s. Next Wednesday or Thursday a fifth generation California skier will be entering the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.