• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best way to ship skis?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've sold my Roxy Mumbo Jumbo's via Gear Trade and now I need to ship them. Anyone have tips on packaging and best shipper to use? And if you're local and have a box that'd be helpful as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
Get box at ski store. If shipping to Canada use the US Post office as they usually don't charge customs on the other end . The Canadian Postal Svce that is. There is a length restriction.

Otherwise a business acct saves money on fedex or ups.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thankfully not shipping to Canada just Washington state. Wish I could use the business account for my company but they don't allow it.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Fedex ground. Also, grab a couple of the triangular "tubes" from Fedex express (they are free). Turn them outside in (so you can send Fedex ground) and tape 2 together. Makes a good box! :)

Oh, and USPS is becomingmless and less attractive for anything other than Flat rate priority mail. Almost all larger packages they are trying to offer only $$$ priority mail now. And to Canada, for skis, forget it!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
are you asking about how do you prepare skis to put in a box for shipping? Or where to find cheapest shipping option?
If you can find telescoping boxes that's what I've received when getting skis shipped to me.
http://www.shippingsupply.com/c-210-telescoping-boxes.aspx

As far as packaging the skis, with bindings, you strapdown the brakes either with zipties or string, whatever you have avail.
The magic part is you setup your skis with bases out, and set it up skis tip to tail (69-ing). This will allow the bindings to interleave together on pretty much all bindings.
Put some padding (scrap cardboard or bubblepack, newspaper) on any pointy bits of the bindings, and on the tips and tails. This should form pretty much a rectangular shape that will then fit in a box. If it still is awkward, you can put a wrap or two of tape to hold it together.

here's a video from powder7

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I recommend Berthold for hand delivery anywhere in Europe..

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just shipped skis in a Sport Tube via Fedex ground from VT to Steamboat for $60. Weight was 22 pounds and I insured them for $500. Took 5 business days.

Happy to pay the extra freight over the airline charge for peace of mind and convenience. And the risk of damage by FedEx vis a vis the airline baggage gorillas and TSA folks is minimal.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fedex ground. Also, grab a couple of the triangular "tubes" from Fedex express (they are free). Turn them outside in (so you can send Fedex ground) and tape 2 together. Makes a good box! :)

Oh, and USPS is becomingmless and less attractive for anything other than Flat rate priority mail. Almost all larger packages they are trying to offer only $$$ priority mail now. And to Canada, for skis, forget it!
Interesting. I think the last I shipped to Canada was 3 years ago and it was far cheaper than UPS i was told by the recipient due to customs.
I just looked it up and it would be about $82. 3 yrs ago it was $69 but you could save $5 inputing online and printing out label.
79 inches max length, total girth 108 in max. If I remember right Canada had one inch less max or it could have been the other way at the time.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I shipped a pair from CT to Michigan via FedEx/kinkos. I called around to ski shops and someone gave me a box. Brought skis and box to FedEx/kinkos and they boxed it up for me. Cost was around $40

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, just to update what I ended up with. I managed to find one 8x8x48 inch box at work then was able to purchase and 8.5x8.5x24 inch box. Shipped via UPS ground for $56. USPS would have been slightly cheaper but since work has a daily pick up it was worth it to me not to have to deal with the post office.

Sponsor

Staff online