• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The efficiency of flats vs clips has left me thinking...

Since whenever there are two or more options, there needs to be a 'best', so what is the best way to hydrate while riding- bottle, pack or sipping from a trailside puddle?

- Bottles can be inconvenient and not all bikes play well with them. There are work arounds available, like Specialized's SWAT, so you can always have a bottle on hand. "Science" (looking at what people better than us do) says racers choose a bottle, so it is BEST.

- Hydropacks can be heavy and hot, they move around and can make people feel unbalanced. It was good enough in the 90's, what's the freakin' problem now?

- Puddles can be full of new and interesting micro organisms, but my dogs seem to do just fine. Go paleo you sallys.

This has nothing to do with preference, it's not a choice, it's science god damn it! Defend your reasons!

Bottles:
Pro- cheap, light gets the weight off your back. Better airflow on the back = cooler. No weight shift on descents or when braking hard, no more getting hit in the back of the helmet by a sack of water!

Con- taking the weight off the back puts it on the bike, now your expensive lightweight bike is 2.2lbs heavier per liter of H2O. You also need somewhere to stash tools and snacks... also bottles hold less than most packs.

Hydration Pack:
Pro- self contained system of transporting water, tools, food, extra layer/ med supplies/ camera/ phone... they work great. They take weight off the bike, making that 'value' bike choice as light as your endur-bro riding buddies uber-bike with the tool wrap/ water bottle and snacks taped all over it + you know he is going to need to borrow your pump eventually...

Con- Can be hot. Can shift around a bit "no more dancing monkey" is a marketing slogan for a reason. Easy to 'over load' by adding more stuff. The cool kids will laugh at you (you haven't noticed, but they do).

Puddle 'o Mud:
Pro- simple. Really old school. It's always been good enough for my dog.

Con- everything not 'simple'. My dog died.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on the type of riding and bike.

Mountain - Lumbar hydration pack. Sits low enough that it doesn't bother me related to heat or weight distribution, I can carry far more water in areas where there is less likely to be refill opportunities, and I can carry other gear as well. I can't fit any bottles onto my bike frame.

Road - Bottles. Hydration packs definitely mess with aerodynamics and weight distribution. I can carry 48ozs and often ride by parks with water fountains for refills.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bottles are better. It's easier to get a good swig of water from a bottle than from a hydration pack, plus water coming out of hard plastic tastes (slightly) better than water coming out of softer plastic. But my mountain bike (although it has a spot for a cage) does not actually fit a water bottle. It's also easier to drink from a hydration pack than from a bottle when mountain biking. I'd rather not carry a pack, but I do for mountain biking.

Sorry about your dog.

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
So the hydration from a bottle- better taste and easier to access more volume quicker- is better. That makes sense. Have there been any studies on this? How can we confirm this?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I prefer hydration packs, for one I can do a couple of liters if I choose and I can pack with ice. Water bottles are too limiting for volume and the insolated bottles hold even less water.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Depends on location.
Pristine wilderness - light weight solution.
5036087-NOC02.jpg

Not quite so prestine - water bottle. I don't want anything on my back.

In the city, just stop at the beer store ;)

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I prefer hydration packs, for one I can do a couple of liters if I choose and I can pack with ice. Water bottles are too limiting for volume and the insolated bottles hold even less water.

I 'prefer' you stick to stating your preference as 'the only reasonable way to do it' and trash everyone else who's opinion is different... but I guess I can't always get what I want.

So, hydration pack is better due to more capacity and ability to easily add ice, ice baby. That also seems reasonable. Is colder water better for hydaration? I believe it is not, but there must be some science?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ypu can put ice in water bottles too. In fact, I freeze my water bottles in the summer. Colder water tastes better, especially coming out of plastic, so you're more likely to drink it, which is better for hydration.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I use a Yeti 45 and a couple of ratchet straps. Haven't run out of anything so far, and everything stays cold! :thumb:
Did you go frame mount or backpack?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Cold water gives you gut cramps. If you're not getting gut cramps it's because you're not drinking enough.
#brainfreezefortheGItract
#1200mlhourorgohome

If you're putting bottles on your bike you might as well be drinking from the puddle, except the puddle has more mosquito larva protein.
#freerangefrogsnack

If the only other alternative is a pack, you're doing bike jersey wrong. Domestiques carry 9-10 liters at a time, you can't do 3?
#morefungusinyourhydropackthanpuddle

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This makes me think of possible studies- could we get the Jet Propulsion Laboratory involved?

You will also want someone at Mayo, and you need a research partner in Belgium. No, not for the bike cred. For the waffles and frites.

#gottaloadtheejectionhopper
#ProjectOrionlives

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cold water gives you gut cramps. If you're not getting gut cramps it's because you're not drinking enough.
#brainfreezefortheGItract
Water gets warm quickly around here. But yes, I lose weight on summer rides.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Water gets warm quickly around here. But yes, I lose weight on summer rides.

The only thing worse than gut freeze on a 4-5-6 hour ride is gut freeze on top of a fat bomb. Those refried salty plaintains from the roadside mercado? Just don't. Unless you're wearing AG2R kit.

#can'trollthebibdownfastenough

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been thinking about this because I've become majorly addicted to drinking water. I've always been a fan of hydration packs however, I got out of the habit of skiing with one so wasn't sure about biking with one. However, I do prefer the ease of a hydration pack, nothing to take out of a pocket, no cap to screw back on, etc. Just grab the hose and drink.

Sponsor