• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that I know bottles are PRO I'll chime in that I have always used bottles.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that I know bottles are PRO I'll chime in that I have always used bottles.

Point of clarification: You may USE a hydration pack, but you must not be SEEN doing so by your immediate group of cycling peers.

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Bring a drill and tap a maple tree. The entire tree is your filter.

Is this what the Cochrans do (slopesidesyrup.com)? They are a family of Olympians, they probably know what is BEST, right? The natural sugars in sap must also provide some advantage, what would they be? Are studies available?

This also seems very location dependent, which would be a negative... can it work with, say, aspen trees? Not everyone gets to live in wonderful VT. #maplejungle

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Point of clarification: You may USE a hydration pack, but you must not be SEEN doing so by your immediate group of cycling peers.

Sure, addressed earlier. #they'reallgonnalaughatyou but if a hydration pack is more practical, why is a bottle more PRO? Don't pro's want the BEST? regardless of whether or not #they'reallgonnalaughatyou? What else explains the spandex (on men*, ladies go right ahead and let your freak flag fly)?

*actually wear whatever makes you feel good riding your bike, I'm not judging. Yet. That's a future thread

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regardless of functionality, bottles are PRO, and packs are not.

Close thread.
Whew.
I'm a total amateur so its okay that I'm using a pack as well as a bottle.
37357303_10160382472985018_9097382650150125568_o.jpg

I have a small lumbar pack, which I've had for a very long time. I have found a small leak in it so I could only fill it part way, and the hose is fairly short so I need to have it off to the side in order to sip while riding.
I just replaced it with this one.
I like this new one better because it has a little more storage capability for a few essentials(tools, powerbar, etc...) the hose is longer and I can sip while I'm riding. This is very helpful with the dust and pollen issues I've been having.

I use the water bottle for those times when I need some kind of electrolyte replacement. I'll carry a powder pack and drop it in the bottle. I never put anything in my Camelbak other than water.

Like I said, I'm a hack, so I'm sure this isn't the BEST way to do it. :D

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I guess I'll be non-Pro, I always ride with a pack, my Osprey Raptor. It has a pretty well though out tool section, I carry a pump, shock pump, first aid kit, spare tube ( even though my bike is tubeless ), various other small tools, and food depending on the ride. I picked the Raptor because it has a wide and functional hip belt. I really don't notice it on my back while riding, it stays put. Even on 90+ degree days, I don't notice it making me any hotter, I just sweat regardless, but no extra heat on my back. How much I fill the bladder depends on the ride. The mouth piece has more flow than I need. @luliski , one thing I do is add a bit of lemon juice to the water, covers the plastic taste. One thing I read on the Osprey site was to fill the bladder with water and lemon juice, ten freeze it over night. Thaw the next day and drain. At least for the Osprey bladder, it did get rid of most the plastic taste. I kept adding lemon to the water cause I like it.

But more to the point of hydration, you need to start out hydrated and keep drinking without waiting till you feel thirsty. At that point it's probably too late, but I would think most of us get slightly dehydrated on a regular basis.

I also always ski with a pack ( BC touring ), water and various safety gear. Also an Osprey ( Kamber ). Don't notice it on either.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I guess I'll be non-Pro, I always ride with a pack, my Osprey Raptor.

I love my Raptor - though it's mostly for skating. It has shown itself to be way tougher than it's Deuter and Camelbak predecessors (in a holy cr*p, your shirt was shredded but the pack was fine?) way.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but if a hydration pack is more practical, why is a bottle more PRO? Don't pro's want the BEST?

Pros desire to look pro. All else is secondary, or perhaps even tertiary.

This is all in fun, of course. If I can get by with a liter of water, then bottle it is. If I need more, I've got three different sized packs to choose from. Becoming dehydrated during a bike ride is a really poor idea, though many take this to crazy extremes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pros desire to look pro. All else is secondary, or perhaps even tertiary.

This is all in fun, of course. If I can get by with a liter of water, then bottle it is. If I need more, I've got three different sized packs to choose from. Becoming dehydrated during a bike ride is a really poor idea, though many take this to crazy extremes.

I rarely get dehydrated, mostly because my throat is always dry and scratchy from allergies, so I like sipping on a regular basis. The smoke from California wildfires has added to this quest for staying moist.

I rode Sunday, and though the skies were somewhat clear when I rode in the morning, I could smell smoke and it was pretty thick by late afternoon

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I quit carrying a pack last summer, and have not gone back unless I know I'm going on a REALLY long ride. I carry a bottle, hydrate beforehand, and if it's extra hot, put Hammer Fizz tablets in the bottle.

I love the free feeling of riding without a pack.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love the free feeling of riding without a pack.

Me too. But ... the instant I tried to do this, I or someone else on the ride would need the: spare tube, pump, multi tool, zip tie, quick link, duct tape, clif bar, bandanna, yadda yadda, that I have in my pack. (Not to mention the no-real-place-for-a-cage issue I broached earlier.) So where do you put all that stuff? Or do you have a minion that takes care of all that?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Me too. But ... the instant I tried to do this, I or someone else on the ride would need the: spare tube, pump, multi tool, zip tie, quick link, duct tape, clif bar, bandanna, yadda yadda, that I have in my pack. (Not to mention the no-real-place-for-a-cage issue I broached earlier.) So where do you put all that stuff? Or do you have a minion that takes care of all that?
You need a domestique..that's how the PROS do it...

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider

Cool Kid solution: https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/bike-backpacks/hot-laps-gripper-bike-bag/

Super Pro version:
p5pb14552471.jpg

TS
Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Whew.
I'm a total amateur so its okay that I'm using a pack as well as a bottle.

I have a small lumbar pack, which I've had for a very long time.

If you notice anyone laughing at you at the trail head, tell them "it's an enduro pack".

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a small saddle bag with a CO2 cartridge, tube, multi tool, and I don't even know what else. I also ride with shorts that have lots of pockets, where I carry Hammer Gel, keys, phone. And I do have a sherpa who carries a Camelbak Lowrider on longer rides, that we stuff extra stuff into :D I'll carry a fanny pack hydration pack on longer rides, too.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid