• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I carry a bottle of water and a liter or so in a hydration pack. The pack holds my tools and food.

I like the bottle because you can get lots of hydration quickly. It is also can be used to squirt crap out of a derailer, chain or pedal and can be used to irrigate a scrape or cut.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those refried salty plaintains from the roadside mercado?
That sounds delicious, but not what I would be craving on a ride. I rode with someone who brought cheese (and I think salami) on a ride, and I couldn't eat it. I've never had gut cramps from cold water. I guess I tolerate a little dehydration just fine.

Unless you're wearing AG2R kit.
Why? Was there an "incident?"
no cap to screw back on
I think (at least I hope) we're talking about reusable bottles with a sport-top, not disposable bottles that have a lid you have to screw on and off.
I've never skied with a hydration pack, and I'm always thirsty when I'm skiing. Maybe I'll try it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Well, I had to look for non-poison-ivy leaves real fast. And it didn't stop with one session.

I think (at least I hope) we're talking about reusable bottles with a sport-top, not disposable bottles that have a lid you have to screw on and off.

I agree - Eroica bidons should be in the Vintage forum.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've never skied with a hydration pack, and I'm always thirsty when I'm skiing. Maybe I'll try it.

Yes, definitely talking about reusable bottles with a sport top. I stopped using the water bottles you buy at the convenience store a long time ago. I have plastic bottles I refill. However, the ones I have do have tops that screw on/off which are kind of a pain. I like the idea better of a hydration pack. I used to ski with a hydration pack but it seemed my turns were affected by something on my back. I've gotten better since then so might try a small one such as the kulkea micro pack to see if that makes a difference. When I teach we have such large pockets I can easily fit a refillable bottle of water in there so I might try that too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing with something as bulky and possibly rigid as a water bottle can be dangerous. Simply falling on your side and sandwiching a bottle between the hard snow and your body could cause injury. A hydration pack or a Platypus style plastic bag would go a long way to reducing the bulk of a water bottle as it is a cross between a water bottle and a hydration pack.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Skiing with something as bulky and possibly rigid as a water bottle can be dangerous. Simply falling on your side and sandwiching a bottle between the hard snow and your body could cause injury. A hydration pack or a Platypus style plastic bag would go a long way to reducing the bulk of a water bottle as it is a cross between a water bottle and a hydration pack.

Definitely agree. I'm not allowed to wear any kind of a pack when teaching but I might try to wear it under my jacket so you can't see it.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the only other alternative is a pack, you're doing bike jersey wrong. Domestiques carry 9-10 liters at a time, you can't do 3?

Got a picture of 9-10 liters carried? I'm having troubles imagining being comfortable with more than two on either road or MTB.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Got a picture of 9-10 liters carried? I'm having troubles imagining being comfortable with more than two on either road or MTB.

cav-bottles.jpg

Fabbio Sacchi is famous for having carried 26 of them
wassertraeger_vc901_04.jpg

FabioSacchi.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, guess my pain tolerance is lower than most.....:huh:

N.B., they're TRANSPORTING them to teammates, not riding with them for prolonged periods.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

AG2R has brown shorts. I'm getting tired of having to translate for Tuna. Hey bonito breath, give some backstory, will ya'? This is an MTB thread.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many FS MTBs, especially in smaller sizes, simply don't have a decent spot for a bottle anymore.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regardless of functionality, bottles are PRO, and packs are not.

Close thread.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AG2R has brown shorts. I'm getting tired of having to translate for Tuna. Hey bonito breath, give some backstory, will ya'? This is an MTB thread.
Ok, THAT's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online