• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hknight54

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I use the 4x4 pure competition waxes by Dominator. I use this because they're the only waxes I know and, when you know all of your condition variables, there is a specific wax for each specific condition. For example, 20°F day, humidity 60%, new snow. The 4x4 pure competition wax line has a specific wax for this day... FX44. The same is true for your antistats. They have an antistat for old and new snow. Low, mid, high floros; each with 3 temperature ranges. The examples go on and on. I love that I can have an absolute dialed in wax for each day.

Even though I think this product line is the most thorough when it comes to temperature, humidity, or old snow or new snow, I have to ask myself if these specifics really transfer speed to the race course or if there is a faster product line out there that might not be as complicated but just as fast or faster.

The zoom line for example...you can use that product over a broad range of conditions, however, even though that one product replaced the multiple products from the 4x4 line, will you be giving up some speed or is it just as good or better?

Perhaps a better question to start out with is What are the best waxes in your experiences. More importantly, I would like those who have experience with multiple product lines to perhaps give their opinions.

Thank you to everyone.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the best course of action is to pick one race wax line (they are all good, imho) and thoroughly learn to use it, inside and out. Knowledge and experience come from trial and error and incorporating the feedback in your "data base"; cut down the confusing variables by sticking to that one program.

I use Swix exclusively, but only because of lengthy experience with it. I have not doubt that others are equally as good when applied by a knowledgeable user.

TS
Hknight54

Hknight54

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I believe the best course of action is to pick one race wax line (they are all good, imho) and thoroughly learn to use it, inside and out. Knowledge and experience come from trial and error and incorporating the feedback in your "data base"; cut down the confusing variables by sticking to that one program.

I use Swix exclusively, but only because of lengthy experience with it. I have not doubt that others are equally as good when applied by a knowledgeable user.
Excellent advice. I agree. Thank you. But I'm still open to more input

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It's hard to not like Holmenkol. Just use Beta red for everything. If it's spring and it's really warm use Alpha. If the "Polar Vortex" has come in use Ultra, but all the rest of the time, just use Beta. That's assuming you can get Beta.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Excellent advice. I agree. Thank you. But I'm still open to more input

The Race Zooms are an excellent choice as well. Sometimes when it is super cold, salted race, or manmade then Bullet can be used to further harden the Zoom. If it is a super wet spring slush, then Butter can be used for an overlay.

As these waxes contain fluoros they will not be leagal for FIS events next year. If you are not going FIS, have fun!

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Race Zooms are an excellent choice as well. Sometimes when it is super cold, salted race, or manmade then Bullet can be used to further harden the Zoom. If it is a super wet spring slush, then Butter can be used for an overlay.

Jacques` info above is an excellent example of what I mean by gaining in-depth knowledge of how to use a particular wax line.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
The future is Nanox. Y’all can thank me later. Application method is slightly different than the traditional way of waxing - see video.

Jacques

Skier
The future is Nanox. Y’all can thank me later. Application method is slightly different than the traditional way of waxing - see video.

Dominator has been on this for a while. The FFC (Fluoro Free Competition) line is fluoro free.
Plus more secret stuff coming soon.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
100 C is wow-low.

There’s a lot more to the nanox story, than what’s available online. I was rolling my eyes when I heard the current application method, and all of the grandiose claims - but then I tried it on one of my elite athletes skis - and now I’m sold on it. If I can get around to it, I’d like to edit a nanox wax vid. A couple of the procedures are either omitted or just touched on in the current vids. There’s more information currently in text format on the sidecut site in the nanox section. See link -https://www.sidecut.com/product/WAX_NX_TRN_300G.html

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
Dominator has been on this for a while. The FFC (Fluoro Free Competition) line is fluoro free.
Plus more secret stuff coming soon.

Nanox was developed 15 years ago. All the other players are trying to catch up now.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
- Have you used the hard below -15C?

- Can CFX II be used as a wax-of-the-day over (insert prep wax here) or do you have to be fully committed to the system? I guess I'm willing to try the little $20 puck just for grins.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
- Have you used the hard below -15C?

- Can CFX II be used as a wax-of-the-day over (insert prep wax here) or do you have to be fully committed to the system? I guess I'm willing to try the little $20 puck just for grins.
I’ve only used the non-hard training wax so far. I’m told that it doesn’t matter what the snow/air temp is. Hard snow = glaciers, injected, and good for sg/dh. Regular flavour for all other snow types.

Cfx2 should be used on either a dry base, or a nanox base layer. Starting from a stone grind is best, in lieu of that, you can ski off your current wax. In the vid, Chris suggests using a high grade liquid wax remover.

You’re asking questions that I have to refer to my notes, and they’re at work. Haha

The big takeaway is that it’s an all-temp wax that performs better than the fluoros, is way faster to apply/remove, durable, and eliminates buying multiple waxes in different temps.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Used the hard in -30*C and frankly nothing works at that temp....another athlete tested a $150 wax job with HF and overlays, etc....still slow.

The hard is primarily for abrasive snow conditions (possibly more parrifin like CH3/4 in the Swix line) found on glacial surfaces. I find the regular training perfectly fine on injected surfaces.

Not sure how much faster it is than being bang on temp and overlay....but I can tell you is way easier to use and you aren’t going to miss the temp window. That alone makes it more than worth it for me. (Been using it for the past 4 years now).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Used the hard in -30*C and frankly nothing works at that temp....another athlete tested a $150 wax job with HF and overlays, etc....still slow.

Do you remember Cerax Nanowax? https://www.forbes.com/2003/12/29/cz_jw_1229soapbox.html#1a7406d3bc23 The application was a bit weird - hot air heating like with a hair dryer - and in most temps it was *meh* , not particularly faster than moderately right normal wax.

So, imagine my surprise when I'm in Quebec in '05, whinging about not getting any glide at all. That's when the auberge host starts telling me about this stuff (I think it was the Cerax #5) that is simply awesome on his XC skis at -25 and so easy to apply!

I wish I knew what happened to that product, whether it went quietly poof or was folded into Holmenkol's boutique line or something.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you a racer or recreational skier? If you are a recreational skier, it doesn't matter, use what you like. If you are a race, Dominator's anti-stats are unparalleled and HX77 covers you most of the time in Colorado. The other part, mix it with HX88. In the spring, try mixing turquoise and yellow. If you have a race and you are going in and out of shadows, or you have to tune but don't know what the snow will be, new/old snow race zoom works well. I suspect fluoros will be legal for next year.

Jacques

Skier
I will stick with Dominator. I Always use an anti-static in one form or another.
Once in a while I might miss the mark, but not too often. Been using a long time.
I also love that it is a made in USA product.
@BGreen , so you think FIS is going to back step on their fluoro ban?
Dominator has already created their new FFC line and has more secret stuff going on right now.

Sponsor