• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic best VA/WV resort?

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
hello,
I am going skiing MLK weekend and want to know where I should go, I am comfortable on greens and can get down blues without too much trouble but haven't tried any blacks yet. I'm thinking Massanutten, wintergreen, snowshoe, or winter place, I can't afford a hotel so I would have to leave earlier from the WV resorts:(, where should I go?
P.S.I live in new kent VA
thanks for any help!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d say either Massanutten or Wintergreen whichever is closer. Massanutten is a favorite of mine but will be crowded for the hoiday weekend for sure.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a Snowshoe "homer" and I would not go there on a holiday. Crowds will be large and if this snow storm hits as predicted it may even be more crowded.

Mark-172

Alta or Brighton... hmm...
Skier
I would generally expect Snowshoe to be the "best" resort in VA and WV. I may have a chance next week Wednesday to sneak in some skiing. I'll be driving north throug VA. I thought I'd try Massanutten seems to be close to I-81. Looks like its open til 9pm. How is the night skiing ?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would generally expect Snowshoe to be the "best" resort in VA and WV. I may have a chance next week Wednesday to sneak in some skiing. I'll be driving north throug VA. I thought I'd try Massanutten seems to be close to I-81. Looks like its open til 9pm. How is the night skiing ?

Night skiing is great at Massanutten. Shouldn’t have criwds at all on a Wed. Massanutten also has 2 of the best, long black runs in the Mid Atlantic and some decent blue and green runs as well.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From your location just east of Richmond it looks like Wintergreen would be the closest resort at about 2.5 hrs. You wouldn’t really benefit by driving for a day-trip to some of the other ski areas in your vicinity like Massanutten or Bryce* that are 30-60 mins farther. (Bryce is small, but rarely unpleasantly crowded.)

Wintergreen is a well-run mtn, but can be really crowded on big days with many late arriving guests having to park a long way from the slopes. They have some nice green and blue runs and the lodges and trails are set in a scenic location at the top of the mountain. You should try your best to arrive by 830AM if possible to get a decent parking spot and beat the crowds for an hour or two that could show up on prime winter weekends. Also, if you have to rent skis you should get there even earlier, or better, rent them somewhere off the mtn, preferably from a shop in Richmond the night before you go. Waiting in big lines to rent eqmt can be a drag. If you go to Wintergreen on a weekday you will have the whole place to yourself. Important, if you are ok with going on Monday MLK Day, that would be less busy than the Sat or Sun before. Wintergreen has a lot of nearby lodging, but many check-out on the last morning of a holiday weekend and don’t ski. I’ve seen this phenomenon at Wintergreen on several MLK or President’s Day Mondays when the slopes are relatively light while the roads and parking lots around the ski area are mobbed with people packing up and heading home at noon time.

Last edited:
TS
unassumingpanda

unassumingpanda

looking for my poles
Skier
havent done night skiing but when it gets near dusk the trails are lit up nicely by the floods

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was at WG Friday, it was excellent, still a bit thin for glade turns but not bad. They seem to have gotten a medium density snow which compresses upon skiing it into a reasonable base. I skied to Baldy easily and cruised some sweet groomed down track back to the lodge. The crowds were massing in however.

If they get more Snow than that other stuff they should be in good shape. Blackwater and CVR trails should be good also.

Sponsor

Staff online