• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you also bike, hike, run, swim or just workout, consider a Garmin Fenix GPS watch. It has an awesome ski/board mode that automatically pauses when you are on the lift. I like it better than phone apps because a) it doesn't use ANY phone battery, b) all my ski data is in the same place as my other activities on the Garmin website and apps, and c) I can use a heart rate monitor with it.

The new models of the Fenix watches are crazy expensive, but you can get an older Fenix 2 like I have refurbished by Garmin with a 1-year warranty for $149:
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-fenix-2-newly-overhauled

Here's an in-depth review of the Fenix 2:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.html

If I were buying another one now, I'd probably spend more and get a newer Fenix model, but for the price, that refurbished Fenix 2 is hard to beat. It's big and built like a tank, as it's on the same platform as the Garmin Tactix military watch.

Last edited:

Tlri

Putting on skis
Skier
A few people have mentioned the trace “puck”. I bought the puck originally for surfing. If you’re into surf/sup it gives some interesting info that you can’t get with a phone in the water.
0AB254F8-AC78-4C2D-B4C2-48D7E2877E3F.png

For skiing a lot of the data is available with your phone but here’s an idea of the jump data you get with the puck.
C7D5C802-37DB-4EFE-B8B4-8DFB24F12907.png

I haven't done the auto edit of gopro footage but will probably try this one of the next times I'm out skiing or surfing by myself. Don't think the kids want to wait around while I try to figure out my gadgets.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
Ive been using Slopes as well. It’s a pretty great “set it and forget it” app. Wouldn’t mind something with more robust data features though.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I have much better luck with Trace...

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I have to ask what everyone does with their data? Years ago I tried different fitness trackers and while the information was neat to look at I could find no real value in them and sometimes they reduced my experiences because I was worried about keeping my heart rate or pace at a certain level instead of just enjoying being outside, granted I am not a competitive person and mostly engage in sport for enjoyment and exercise.

Is it just a nice to have? Inquiring minds want to know!
Are y'all that competitive and compare stats with friends? Guy with least vert buys a round of beers!
You selling your data to third parties? If we're our own brands now I guess its OK to productize ourselves too!

How do you use your data?

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone use one in Europe? To me the point would be figuring out where you went. Even with a topo map it's tough.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Been using Ski Tracks. Have on occasion used it to nav in real time in heavily treed areas where we didn't want to miss the return track.

Can get a little weird if sat comms get suspect. Like suggesting top speed was 140 kph...:roflmao:

Anyone know a way to upload a whole season's worth of breadcrumbs and show on a google map? Other than the brute force approach of doing it one day at a time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Been using Ski Tracks. Have on occasion used it to nav in real time in heavily treed areas where we didn't want to miss the return track.

Can get a little weird if sat comms get suspect. Like suggesting top speed was 140 kph...:roflmao:

Anyone know a way to upload a whole season's worth of breadcrumbs and show on a google map? Other than the brute force approach of doing it one day at a time.
I think you can save your tracks as a file format that Google earth can read and plot. I'm not around my computer right now though... I think they're kmz files.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you also bike, hike, run, swim or just workout, consider a Garmin Fenix GPS watch. It has an awesome ski/board mode that automatically pauses when you are on the lift. I like it better than phone apps because a) it doesn't use ANY phone battery, b) all my ski data is in the same place as my other activities on the Garmin website and apps, and c) I can use a heart rate monitor with it.

The new models of the Fenix watches are crazy expensive, but you can get an older Fenix 2 like I have refurbished by Garmin with a 1-year warranty for $149:
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-fenix-2-newly-overhauled

Here's an in-depth review of the Fenix 2:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.html

If I were buying another one now, I'd probably spend more and get a newer Fenix model, but for the price, that refurbished Fenix 2 is hard to beat. It's big and built like a tank, as it's on the same platform as the Garmin Tactix military watch.
You have to go withthe Fenix 3 now fir $219-249.
What's thedeal with the maps?

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone use one in Europe? To me the point would be figuring out where you went. Even with a topo map it's tough.
Over the last few winters I have used Ski Tracks in Dolomites, Arlberg and Zermatt. It functioned just as well in Europe as at my home resorts in Utah.
I occasionally manually calculate Ski Vertical, Ski Tracks seems to under read Ski Vertical about 5%. I use it on an iPhone 6.
I have not used any other tracking apps, so cannot give a comparison. Very happy with Ski Tracks, but the $1 price seemed a little steep at the time!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I have to ask what everyone does with their data? Years ago I tried different fitness trackers and while the information was neat to look at I could find no real value in them and sometimes they reduced my experiences because I was worried about keeping my heart rate or pace at a certain level instead of just enjoying being outside, granted I am not a competitive person and mostly engage in sport for enjoyment and exercise.

Is it just a nice to have? Inquiring minds want to know!
Are y'all that competitive and compare stats with friends? Guy with least vert buys a round of beers!
You selling your data to third parties? If we're our own brands now I guess its OK to productize ourselves too!

For me it's just kind of fun and I don't really do anything with it or upload it. Being in the midwest we can't get much vert but I like to see how many laps I took vs last weekend vs how busy it was and what my fastest speed was and where. One thing I didn't expect though is I found I ski about 10mph faster on average with one pair of skis vs the other. It's not a big deal for me just kind of fun when I remember to turn it on.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to go withthe Fenix 3 now fir $219-249.
What's thedeal with the maps?
No doubt on the Fenix 3. Great for the price. My Fenix 2's won't die, so I'm stuck in 2014 for the time being.

The maps on the watch are pretty useless until you get to the new super expensive models. The old ones might help if you are lost.

After an activity, you sync the watch with your phone or computer and it uploads the activity to Garmin giving you nice maps and activity details on the website and apps this:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/473075629

I made that ski day public. They are private by default. Anyone in the military working at a secret base should leave them private. :rolleyes:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For skiing, it's just tracking days and vertical primarily, with occasional curious looks at heart rate. I like the Garmin over an app as it doesn't use the battery on my phone and the data is more likely to still be there years later since it's a big company.

For me it's really for logging training: swim, bike, run, hike and walk. I've always kept a training log and my watch makes is much easier and give more detail, automatically counting laps swimming, for example. I've also come to like counting steps and monitoring HR 24/7 for which I have a different Garmins.

I really just compete against myself for times and fitness. It's motivational to see if my training is on track to beat last year's 5K time, then how I did in the race compared to last year, for example.

It's also nice to see no obvious signs of failing parts as you get older, or to use to try to get back to baseline after any parts break.

Sponsor

Staff online