• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
VinceF

VinceF

Booting up
Skier

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
your loop is quite practical but play attention to 2 day forecasts.
only longer drives are to/from Red and Whitewater. They are a bit isolated.
Kimberley does not mach the others so if its not windy in forecast while at Fernie, do Castle instead - or can always return to Calgary from there
Panorama is better done while in KH LL area if the snow is good in that area.

I mainly ski Whistler so i usually pack an extra fleece and a face saver for the Rockies but rarely need to use it

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We don't normally get the bitterly cold days that late in the season, but all these resorts probably have more flat light days than you are used to and at some of them fog will be an issue, so worry about your goggles. And once there in the thick of it (intentional) you'll want to be in or near the trees.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
if your friends don't mind visiting the US these days Whitefish is also about 2 hr south of Fernie,
not known for "extreme" but it has nice skiing and possibly a more interesting town than a number of your other destinations.
always an enjoyable stop.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another question crossed my feeble mind, my home mountain is Snowbird since I live so close to it. I am thinking that the powder highway resorts are considerably colder. Any required gear suggestions that may not be obvious to a Utah skier?
I ski Snowbird a fair amount and was there just a few days before skiing Revi. Because of the lower elevations Revi was warmer than Snowbird.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
Best Powder is early season, Best skiing is late.

Early March is a good time for a road trip. The extra daylight and warmer temperatures mean that the driving is much easier.

A critical piece of gear would be a goggle option for flat light.

Prepare for all temperatures.

The backcountry is limitless. Don't stay confined to the resorts terrain.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Generally speaking It's colder than Utah.

Bring your standard gear but make sure to bring a warmer layer. (technical fabrics). Bring 2 pairs of good quality gloves so you can swap/change/use them every other day... (i prefer the one's with removable liners etc...Hestras etc.). Flat light lens for your goggles. Portable/travel sized boot dryer...thermic/hottronic/etc. Dry hands and feet is critical on a multi-day trip...(even more so if you are unlucky and hit wet/damp weather in BC...things can take a lot longer to dry out in the room...(although it does happen....it's a bit rarer for LL/SS/Castle to be "wet/damp"....) Powder mask or balaclava if you hit really cold temps or a big powder day. Roaming plan or new SIM card for your cell phone while in Canada...unless you have a great USA/CANADA plan already.

FYI: In AB and BC it is common/standard practice to "brown bag it" eating in the daylodge or areas around the hill...most often they are signed. You will find water stations/microwaves etc for heating your lunches etc at most hills. Most cafeterias will let you use the hot water tap for your instant noodles etc. So you can save some money if you want to bring your own lunch. That is something I've found to be bit less acceptable/easy while skiing in the States. I ski with a backpack so always have my lunch with me...others tend to bring a bootbag or backpack and leave it where they are having lunch so you might want to bring something suitable like that. Note: if you ski with a pack - different resorts will have different rules about loading with packs strapped on...some don't care others do. Ie: pack on is totally fine (like at SS and LL) ....pack completely off...or one arm out of strap....requirements (Fernie/Revy/Castle/etc. - just a heads-up.

Depending on your groups needs/habits/ski terrain choices I'd consider bringing hand held FRS/GMRS radios for on-hill communications. (especially impt for Castle as there is no cell service at the hill...best wifi is actually at the pub ....funny enough). Revy and Whitefish are known for tree-well risk and most of the other resorts on your list also have high hazard terrain or areas that are relatively low trafficked so having good group communications is a worthwhile consideration. (Personally we like/use the BCA Link Radios with the external pack strap mike/speaker..but any good handheld will work.)

Sounds like you guys do back country so probably nothing you haven't heard already but figured I'd throw a few ideas in there.

Enjoy your visit!

Sponsor

Staff online